Performance?

I don't jump sand dunes, yet I own a Raptor. We buy what we want to drive, and that goes for everyone on the forum. I appreciate the input, but I don't like the Mazdas and we like what we like. We don't have to overland a Land Cruiser if we buy it. I'm sure it will be very content to go from my garage to the hospital every day.
Your taste is the most important thing. I fully agree you can use anything you like to go to the hospital every day.
2023 X3 or 2024 Landcruiser ? This is a big question for many people. It would be very interesting to find out which one performs better on 0-60.

I'm not looking to buy the fastest vehicle. I was merely curious as to how fast it was 0-60. We have all sorts of speeds now. Raptor=5.2s with 35's, XC60=~6s, Tacoma=7.6s (feels slower tho), Crosstrek=probably about a day. The 68 Camaro is the slowest, but that's because it's in pieces lol.
I just like to research the crap out of anything expensive before I purchase it. Most of the other measurables are easily found online, but the 0-60 is elusive lol.
It doesn't have to be that fast, but I do want something that can get up and merge when it needs to. As long as it's as fast as my Crosstrek, we're ok lol.

I own an Audi S5 2021(349 hp V6) ..very happy with this car .
But today I had a loaner from Audi dealer !
Audi A3 2024 2.0l turbo also!!
Very big difference between the 2 engines...
Are we gonna feel this with the LC even is hybrid ( but heavy)?
I like a lot the LC but this engine not so much!I guess I will have to drive it before I ll buy it! 🤔

I own an Audi S5 2021(349 hp V6) ..very happy with this car .
But today I had a loaner from Audi dealer !
Audi A3 2024 2.0l turbo also!!
Very big difference between the 2 engines...
Are we gonna feel this with the LC even is hybrid ( but heavy)?
I like a lot the LC but this engine not so much!I guess I will have to drive it before I ll buy it! 🤔
I mean no offense by this - I am genuinely confused by the people that sort of group the LC with smaller unibody vehicles. The Cruiser is never going to satisfy you if you are using smaller crossovers as your comparison point for acceleration or ride. It is not what this vehicle is meant to be.
There was a guy on another Land Cruiser board, who insisted on constantly comparing the land cruiser to a grand Highlander, and didn’t understand why people wouldn’t just pick the faster vehicle, which was the grand Highlander. I don’t know why anyone would buy this vehicle if their intent was not to use it as it was designed to be used, but that’s just me.

I mean no offense by this - I am genuinely confused by the people that sort of group the LC with smaller unibody vehicles. The Cruiser is never going to satisfy you if you are using smaller crossovers as your comparison point for acceleration or ride. It is not what this vehicle is meant to be.
There was a guy on another Land Cruiser board, who insisted on constantly comparing the land cruiser to a grand Highlander, and didn’t understand why people wouldn’t just pick the faster vehicle, which was the grand Highlander. I don’t know why anyone would buy this vehicle if their intent was not to use it as it was designed to be used, but that’s just me.

It's not just you.
Obviously this is the case here. No offense. The intent is not to use as it is designed. Many clients want to buy it for every day use because they like the new Landcruiser ! Period. But, it must be very fast. Probably we will here very soon that the new LC is a shame compared to S5 or X3M.
Do they know/care about the body-on-frame, solid axle, low gear, SDM or difflocks...? Is this helping a car for performance and 0-60 ?

But Toyota is targeting these clients too. The hybrid system is added for performance not for efficiency. 326 HP is a lot and 7 sec on 0-60 is really fast for most drivers.

Now, just imagine the poor guys in Europe or Australia (the biggest market of the Landcruiser). The only engine is a 4 cyl Diesel: 201 bhp and probably over 10 sec on 0-60. :rolleyes:

Having driven tons of miles in diesel Land Cruiser Prado and Hilux models outside of the USA—including the latest version of the 1GD-FTV diesel (what the Land Cruiser 250 Series gets in other markets)—I am totally fine with Toyota USA's choice for the powertrain for the new Land Cruiser 250 Series in the States. Yes, I'd prefer the diesel but I know that's not an option in the USA due to buyer preferences and our emissions standards. The gasoline hybrid powerplant for the U.S. market offers loads of torque (which is all that matters in a vehicle like the Land Cruiser) and decent fuel economy. For those wanting more horsepower and a quicker 0-60 mph time, go and buy a "sporty SUV" (but in reality, there are no proper sporty SUVs...as they are all too heavy and too tall). If I want something sporty that also offers good cargo room, I'll get a wagon (E63 wagon or RS6 Avant) or a hatchback (Golf GTI, Golf R, GR Corolla, Integra Type S, Civic Type R, etc.). I want an SUV to be an SUV. I am replacing my Integra Type S with the new Land Cruiser—we also have a GR Corolla in our garage.

Having driven tons of miles in diesel Land Cruiser Prado and Hilux models outside of the USA—including the latest version of the 1GD-FTV diesel (what the Land Cruiser 250 Series gets in other markets)—I am totally fine with Toyota USA's choice for the powertrain for the new Land Cruiser 250 Series in the States. Yes, I'd prefer the diesel but I know that's not an option in the USA due to buyer preferences and our emissions standards. The gasoline hybrid powerplant for the U.S. market offers loads of torque (which is all that matters in a vehicle like the Land Cruiser) and decent fuel economy. For those wanting more horsepower and a quicker 0-60 mph time, go and buy a "sporty SUV" (but in reality, there are no proper sporty SUVs...as they are all too heavy and too tall). If I want something sporty that also offers good cargo room, I'll get a wagon (E63 wagon or RS6 Avant) or a hatchback (Golf GTI, Golf R, GR Corolla, Integra Type S, Civic Type R, etc.). I want an SUV to be an SUV. I am replacing my Integra Type S with the new Land Cruiser—we also have a GR Corolla in our garage.
Damn my 2013 Golf R is still one of my favorite cars I’ve owned.

What I was trying to say is that I don't want to see this engine struggling to get some speed and without making so much noise!
I will buy this only for the bad weather(special for the 4A) that we have in Canada and for some camping trips( kids..dogs).
Not much of a off road..

Both MotorTrend and Car & Driver have had access to the LC and were able to provide subjective feedback, but it seems they were not allowed by Toyota to publish any formal test results as recently as mid-April.

The GX550 has been tested and came in with a 6.2s 0-60 time, and Car & Driver says the Land Cruiser feels "nearly as quick".

The fact that we haven't seen any formal numbers here by either of these outlets seem to suggest Toyota may still be tweaking the software on these, maybe even planning to update them at the port prior to delivery.

There have been some informal real-world tests ranging from 7.9s from MilesPerHr to 10s from CarWow, but with that kind of variance there is something else going on here. Either the cars they received had different software versions, or the output of the hybrid system can vary dramatically depending on the state-of-charge the hybrid battery may have.

Overall, with the way the rollout has gone so far, I get the sense Toyota is running behind on all things LC, and it has me wondering if the hybrid system is one of the key things which is still in flux.

Doc Marshall, I agree, I like what I like and don't really care if other people don't agree with what I like (unless of course if they would like to pay for it, then I might care a little...... nah... still wouldn't care).

Both MotorTrend and Car & Driver have had access to the LC and were able to provide subjective feedback, but it seems they were not allowed by Toyota to publish any formal test results as recently as mid-April.

The GX550 has been tested and came in with a 6.2s 0-60 time, and Car & Driver says the Land Cruiser feels "nearly as quick".

The fact that we haven't seen any formal numbers here by either of these outlets seem to suggest Toyota may still be tweaking the software on these, maybe even planning to update them at the port prior to delivery.

There have been some informal real-world tests ranging from 7.9s from MilesPerHr to 10s from CarWow, but with that kind of variance there is something else going on here. Either the cars they received had different software versions, or the output of the hybrid system can vary dramatically depending on the state-of-charge the hybrid battery may have.

Overall, with the way the rollout has gone so far, I get the sense Toyota is running behind on all things LC, and it has me wondering if the hybrid system is one of the key things which is still in flux.
Carwow is not a US outlet. It is likely not the T24. Probably a diesel.

I assure you that they aren’t still tweaking the software. That’s a massive regulation item that is set before shipping mass production.

This is a fact, 10 sec is a different story. 201 hp Diesel vs 326 hp Hybrid.
And BTW 10sec is not bad at all for that 2.8L 4-cyl Diesel engine and such a car.

I assure you that they aren’t still tweaking the software. That’s a massive regulation item that is set before shipping mass production.
Good point about CarWow. It still leaves the question about why no one has been allowed to post official times. I realize the point of this car isn't to be fast, but these outlets have review metrics in place so people can compare Apples to Apples. Toyota seems to be much more open handed with the GX550 for some reason.

Further to this, I never quite understood the concept of "high performance SUV" in the first place. If it's high performance you're after, no SUV on earth delivers that. It's always a compromise.

Further to this, I never quite understood the concept of "high performance SUV" in the first place. If it's high performance you're after, no SUV on earth delivers that. It's always a compromise.
No one expects the LC to be high performance, but there are plenty of options depending on what it is you are looking for.

BMW, Porsche, Alfa, and MB have great on-road focused options. The upcoming Macan EV in particular is going to be amazing.

The Bronco Raptor will go over anything you can think of and still be sub-6 seconds 0-60 while spinning 37in tires.

The Defender and Range Rover Sport will be somewhere in between.

The whole cross shopping a new LC and an X5 bewilder me - they are COMPLETELY different vehicles.
??????
I fully agree but who mentioned the X5 ? It was the X3 :unsure: . And some people just want the SUV they like to do a regular daily on-road job. And some of them are disappointed with the 7sec of the Landcruiser or with the sound system. What can we do ? Live is tough.

I fully agree but who mentioned the X5 ? It was the X3 :unsure: . And some people just want the SUV they like to do a regular daily on-road job. And some of them are disappointed with the 7sec of the Landcruiser or with the sound system. What can we do ? Live is tough.
I'm guessing some people start with the mindset of "I have ~$70K, what are my options?". And sizewise the X5 is more comparable the LC.

So we have only been in possession of our first edition for about 24 hours, but I can personally attest to the fact that for the size and weight of it it has plenty of pep. If you put it in sport mode, it really gets up and goes. We just tried out crawl control on our loose gravel driveway and it was amazing.

The JBL Soundsystem is actually better than I expected it to be.

Back