Only able to fill tank to about 18 gallons

Sugar Silva

đź“› Founding Member
Oct 19, 2023
San Diego
Vehicles
2016 Land Cruiser

Even when I run the tank low enough to trip the low fuel light, I can only fill up to about 18 or 19 gallons

Then I get about 205 miles per tank

Manual shows I should have 24.5 gallons

What gives?

Maybe the fuel level sensor is not working correctly. On some models is quite complicated and expensive to replace !
What's your engine and average mpg ?

Maybe the fuel level sensor is not working correctly. On some models is quite complicated and expensive to replace !
What's your engine and average mpg ?
Needle shows full after I fill up.

5.7 V8 and about 12 - 13 mpg

Needle shows full after I fill up.

5.7 V8 and about 12 - 13 mpg
I've seen this before. Full after fill up, then low fuel light when tank is about 1/2 full.
Check how much it costs to replace the sensor. If the cost is too high you can reset the trip odometer when you refuel then drive for max 230 miles.
205 miles with 18 - 19 gal means about 11 mpg.

Reactions: MJE
I've seen this before. Full after fill up, then low fuel light when tank is about 1/2 full.
Check how much it costs to replace the sensor. If the cost is too high you can reset the trip odometer when you refuel then drive for max 230 miles.
205 miles with 18 - 19 gal means about 11 mpg.
Appreciate the reply. The fuel gauge seems to be working properly. Just drove 55 miles after a fill up and it already shows 3/4 left.

MPG seems appropriate for this beast, but maybe you’re right and it’s just a sensor that’s not allowing me to use the whole 24.5 gallons

You can use most of the tank. Just refuel completely and drive with that light on up to 230 miles. The sensor will not stop the car.
It's funny that most EVs have more range than your V8 :rolleyes:

You can use most of the tank. Just refuel completely and drive with that light on up to 230 miles. The sensor will not stop the car.
It's funny that most EVs have more range than your V8 :rolleyes:
Yep. My Tesla Y Performance does indeed have a better range than the 200 series Cruiser

Back