Onboard Inverter - AC Air Compressor

agjake01

📛 Founding Member
Sep 9, 2023
North Bend, WA
Vehicles
2016 Wrangler JKU
Looking at air compressors for the trail and wondering if there are any good ones out there that would work off the 2400w inverter? I like the Viair compressors, anyone use a DC/AC converter with them? I’d like to avoid popping the hood if possible. Any recommendations? Not sure if the max amp draw with these would be too much for the onboard..

Could be wrong - not an electrical guy, but would be surprised if any portable compressor would over-run 2400 watts. Probably a 30 amp capacity?

It's been a while, but I always found it immeasurably easier and cheaper to just carry a tank. We made our our own back then, but they've got some awesome setups made to order now. You can air up like 20 35" tires with one full tank. And it'll air up each tire in seconds instead of waiting forever for a tiny compressor to do its work. If I were to be doing it today, I'd go that route again.

Would love to see if the built-in compressor that the Tacoma trail hunter has, could be retro-fitted somewhere into the rear cargo area of the LC. I had an OEM air compressor in my recent modern Defender 110 (sold, thank god!) and like the one in the new TH Tacoma, would deflate tires to your desired pressure and also inflate each tire to the same setting, by just moving from tire to tire. Very handy!

Would love to see if the built-in compressor that the Tacoma trail hunter has, could be retro-fitted somewhere into the rear cargo area of the LC. I had an OEM air compressor in my recent modern Defender 110 (sold, thank god!) and like the one in the new TH Tacoma, would deflate tires to your desired pressure and also inflate each tire to the same setting, by just moving from tire to tire. Very handy!
Agreed, I would have paid extra for the onboard ARB. Wish they would have offered it on the LCs like the Tacoma and the 4R. I think some of the mobile compressors peak under 15amp so the inverter should handle the smaller ones with an AC plug adapter.

The 4runner trail hunter has one built in by the converter. That would be nice if it was on the LC250 as well.

Back