I'm excited about a smaller, fuel efficient landcruiser. I'm ready to part with my Honda pickup.

I've given up on the EV trend and just want a reliable no maintenance long-lasting vehicle. I will look for a trim level that is 'tame' for city driving.
Agreed, the EV fad is dying it seems. Had the bug for a bit, but over that. Hybrid is a good compromise I think, especially here in the non-California (Idaho) western U.S. (We presently have a 2021 Highlander Platinum hybrid).

Unfortunately, the 2024 Land Cruiser presently has effectively only two trims. This is presuming the First Edition will be realistically impossible to get, and certainly not at MSRP. The 1958 trim level is really basic, i.e. cloth seats and hard plastics everywhere. So, I have but one trim level to select from, the "Land Cruiser". Really anxious to see what options can be added, such as power running boards (we are both in our early 80's). Not a fan of leather, and to my pleasant surprise, the Land Cruiser trim comes with SofTex.

Plan B is a Lexus GX550, as their Luxury+ trim level includes the power running boards. However, the price may be eye-popping, and dismal fuel economy at 16 MPG combined, and probably needs premium at that. But, Lexus says a hybrid variant will be forthcoming, and it will be the same as in the L.C., the 2.4-liter coupled to an 8-speed tranny.

I've given up on the EV trend and just want a reliable no maintenance long-lasting vehicle. I will look for a trim level that is 'tame' for city driving.
I think you've come to the right place. America just isn't ready for all these full time EV's. The charging isn't there. The technology isn't there for mass adoption. A reliable Toyota using gas or diesel is what I'm interested. I don't even mind the hybrid stuff, but 100% EV's aren't there yet.

Welcome to the site!

Reactions: MJE
I think you've come to the right place. America just isn't ready for all these full time EV's. The charging isn't there. The technology isn't there for mass adoption. A reliable Toyota using gas or diesel is what I'm interested. I don't even mind the hybrid stuff, but 100% EV's aren't there yet.

Welcome to the site!
And, battery chemistry/technology is rapidly evolving. A recent Toyota video/briefing speaks of what is coming in 2-3 years and beyond. Also, I could swallow replacing a $2K battery in a hybrid, but not $20K+ in an EV. The battery in the LC is NiMH, in my opinion much better than Li-Ion, as the NiMH is air-cooled, as opposed to water cooling for Li-Ion, and NiMH endures cold weather better as I understand it. The Li-Ion batteries are the ones catching fire. The downside, if any, in the LC, is that it raises the rear floor to accommodate the battery, thus no 3rd row option as in the non-hybrid twin sister vehicle, the Lexus GX550. My guess regarding placement is to shield it from any damage off-roading. One last thought, when EV range of, say, 600 miles becomes commonplace with improved batteries, well, we know what will happen to the value of present-day EV's.

Last edited:
And, battery chemistry/technology is rapidly evolving. A recent Toyota video/briefing speaks of what is coming in 2-3 years and beyond. Also, I could swallow replacing a $2K battery in a hybrid, but not $20K+ in an EV. The battery in the LC is NiMH, in my opinion much better than Li-Ion, as the latter is air-cooled, as opposed to water cooling for Li-Ion, and endures cold weather better as I understand it. The Li-Ion batteries are the ones catching fire. The downside, if any, in the LC, is that it raises the rear floor to accommodate the battery, thus no 3rd row option as in the non-hybrid sister vehicle, the Lexus GX550. My guess regarding placement is to shield it from any damage off-roading. One last thought, when EV range of, say, 600 miles becomes commonplace with improved batteries, well, we know what will happen to the value of present-day EV's.

All excellent points and I 100% agree. It's evolving very quickly. It seems like Tesla really is the only EV maker that has figured out 90% of the problems. I've been hearing tons of horror stories about most other EV makers. Especially GM and Ford.

All excellent points and I 100% agree. It's evolving very quickly. It seems like Tesla really is the only EV maker that has figured out 90% of the problems. I've been hearing tons of horror stories about most other EV makers. Especially GM and Ford.
Tesla body fit/finish is terrible per reviewers, but yes, they have their act together with the technology, especially with the Octo-Valve facilitating pulling heat from every imaginable source. Come to think of it, I wonder what battery chemistry they use? Most likely Li-Ion.

Welcome to the forum! I have yet to dip my toes in the EV market. The Hummer EV and Rivian R1S are the only two EVs that I would be interested in, but not with the current price tags and certainly not as my only vehicle.

Back