How much will the 2025 Land Cruiser tow?

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
πŸ“› Founding Member
Jul 7, 2023
Vehicles
2014 4runner, 2021 Bronco
Does anyone have insights on the expected maximum towing and payload capacities for the 2025 Toyota Land Cruiser? Considering the new GX 550 has a maximum tow capacity of 8,000, I'm assuming the Land Cruiser's figures would be in a similar range.

I'm going to guess that the new Land Cruiser towing specs are going to be really similar to those from the Lexus GX 550. I'm really interested in the payload capacity.

I'm going to guess that the new Land Cruiser towing specs are going to be really similar to those from the Lexus GX 550. I'm really interested in the payload capacity.
Will it be much different than the Prado?

Unless the new Land Cruiser offers the turbo V6 as in the GX550, then I do not expect the same towing ratings. Without checking, it seems one model of the GX comes in at 8,000 lbs. With the turbo 2.4 possibly we can anticipate, say, 5,000 lbs? On the evening of August 1st we should know.

• Admin
I'm hearing 6000 lbs. ...I'm less then GX because of 4 cylinder hybrid vs 6 cylinder

I'm impressed with that tow rating! Now just need to find out what the payload & hitch weight ratings will be.

here are the ratings for many Landcruisers and any other cars sold in Europe.

I think in US the ratings are much different, for some SUVs incredibly low. E.g. Nissan Rogue 1.5T 201 HP is rated in US at 1300 lbs. In Europe below average small sedan with 90-100 HP 0.9L engine is rated at 2200 lbs :rolleyes:
European Rogue called X-Trail has a max towing capacity of 4400 lbs. :rolleyes:

Just curious why they settled on 6,000 lbs max? The 2024 LC Euro spec with 2.8L Turbo 4 diesel has less HP and torque and yet has a 7716 lbs max tow rating. Here’s a snapshot of the text from the article:

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”-
The Toyota Land Cruiser 250 has touched down in Europe where it will be offered with a different engine. While the North American and Chinese versions get a turbo 2.4-liter gasoline mill with an electric motor for a combined 326 hp and 465 lb-ft (630 Nm) of torque, the version available in Western Europe (and Australia) boasts a diesel. The 2.8-liter unit is good for 201 hp and 369 lb-ft (500 Nm) sent via a new eight-speed automatic transmission.

Retaining the "Prado" name in some markets, the new diesel-fueled Land Cruiser will be able to tow 3,500 kilograms (7,716 pounds)
β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”-

Just curious why they settled on 6,000 lbs max? The 2024 LC Euro spec with 2.8L Turbo 4 diesel has less HP and torque and yet has a 7716 lbs max tow rating. Here’s a snapshot of the text from the article:

The Toyota Land Cruiser 250 has touched down in Europe where it will be offered with a different engine. While the North American and Chinese versions get a turbo 2.4-liter gasoline mill with an electric motor for a combined 326 hp and 465 lb-ft (630 Nm) of torque, the version available in Western Europe (and Australia) boasts a diesel. The 2.8-liter unit is good for 201 hp and 369 lb-ft (500 Nm) sent via a new eight-speed automatic transmission.

Retaining the "Prado" name in some markets, the new diesel-fueled Land Cruiser will be able to tow 3,500 kilograms (7,716 pounds)

My guess would be to not overstress the battery

Could be a difference in transmissions or rear diffs as well.

Because Europeans have a different method of determining tow ratings.

Going a little deeper, Americans can't help but to push the limit, so the testing is significantly more severe. If the limit is 6000lbs, Americans expect that the vehicle can do 80mph fully loaded. European users seem to be more reasonable in their expectations. They realize that if they don't travel as high speeds, they can safely tow more weight.

Back