How do you plan to use your LC?

MudNGuts

📛 Founding Member
Mar 20, 2024
SW Utah
Vehicles
2021 4Runner TRD Pro
I wonder how all of us Land Cruiser fans plan to use our new toys when they finally arrive. Hmm...??? With lots of chatter about ground clearance, rear lockers, sway bar disconnect and break-over angles (sounds dangerous!), I admit that just perhaps I haven't fully used my '21 4Runner TRD Pro's capabilities. The fact is, I don't think I really care! I love the LC's name and styling enough to overcome my (perhaps unfounded) fears about it's powertrain.

I'm a very active 72-year old, a bit older than the average forum member. I'm solo 90% of the time and always have a Garmin inReach with SOS features with me "just in case". It makes my wife more comfortable with my wanderings and gives some peace of mind about my solo adventures.

So, I'll be honest here and assume I'll use my new LC (arrival date ??/2025) like Burley, my 4Runner. Based on this past year, I hope to use my new LC:
Drive about 7,000 miles​
Do at least 1 overloading trip in SW Utah/Eastern Nevada​
Do 9 off-road overnight trips pulling high-clearance Viking trailer​
Use "low range" at least 4 times​
Use "crawl control" twice (just so I could say I did)​
Drive on gravel roads at least 1-2 times per month​
How do you hope to use your new toy?

Last edited:
Hauling the groceries home, the golf clubs to the course, skiers to the hill and my hockey equipment to the rink. Towng the boat to the lake and snowmobiles to the trail.

Lots of serious winter driving since I live in Winnipeg (Winterpeg) real winter tires will be an immediate add on.

Back roads exploration in Southern Ontario farm country. Some gravel, some paved. Sometimes hauling heavy eBikes on the hitch mounted carrier.

Winter get through anything duty (though we haven't had what Canadians would call a severe winter in several years in SW Ontario.)

Will probably run the Minden Power Line trail. There's some great wheeling up there, but I'm running out of patience with the 5.5 hour drive just to get to the wheeling.

Camping, if I can convince my spouse to give it another try. She's interested in the concept of the roof top tent.

I’m 46 with three boys (elementary, middle and high school). Big goal every fall is to get them outdoors and away from the city. So main thing for me is driving caliche roads (sort of gravel, it’s what we call it here) and a little off road through scrub and mesquite. Mostly hunting related. It’s basically for getting around the ranch. I’m always looking for something presentable and practical enough for daily driving but suited for the 4-6 weekends a year we spend hunting, fishing and camping.

It'll be my everyday vehicle traversing the approximately 6 square miles that my entire town takes up. 🙃 Lots of winter driving, gravel roads, and an occasional jaunt across a corn stubble field when my husband forgets something and I run it out to the combine.

Hauling the groceries home, the golf clubs to the course, skiers to the hill and my hockey equipment to the rink. Towng the boat to the lake and snowmobiles to the trail.

Lots of serious winter driving since I live in Winnipeg (Winterpeg) real winter tires will be an immediate add on.
It'll be interesting to see how it tows the boat! My 4Runner, with the 5-speed transmission, really has to work while towing at highway speeds. That's one my big "justifications" for the LC. We get snow here in southern Utah (I live at 6,000 ft elevation), so the full-time 4WD will be nice. Hope your LC can haul the groceries and golf clubs.:)

I'm 58 years old and a builder/renovator, so will use it for visiting my job sites in the city, and relegate my gas guzzling Tundra (my current daily) to hauling lumber and the occasional tools.

I live within about 20 minutes of the foothills, and 45 min from the Canadian Rockies. My passions are fly-fishing (streams - the fewer chance of seeing human footprints, the better), cycling (road & mountain bikes), hiking, and skiing (downhill, XC, and backcountry). Whenever I'm heading out, I usually seek out the scenic, unpaved route, so will use it for enjoying the journey as much as the destination. Because it's more off-road friendly than my Tundra, I think it will get me closer to some more secluded spots on my favourite streams. I will likely crash in the back the odd time when the fishing's good and don't wanna head home, or just feel like having a few beers and a campfire after a long day on the river.

90% will be solo driving, but we just ordered my wife an E-mountain bike (so she can keep up, or go on longer rides) so between that and hiking, it will be our weekend vehicle to enjoy together.

Reactions: MJE
Back roads exploration in Southern Ontario farm country. Some gravel, some paved. Sometimes hauling heavy eBikes on the hitch mounted carrier.

Winter get through anything duty (though we haven't had what Canadians would call a severe winter in several years in SW Ontario.)

Will probably run the Minden Power Line trail. There's some great wheeling up there, but I'm running out of patience with the 5.5 hour drive just to get to the wheeling.

Camping, if I can convince my spouse to give it another try. She's interested in the concept of the roof top tent.
I've never been to Ontario but it sounds like you have a great playground. I thought about a roof top tent but don't like the idea of climbing a ladder to bed or needing to haul sleeping gear up and down. When I do my style of overloading (without my trailer), I just take a 4-person tent and cot. Good luck!

I'm 58 years old and a builder/renovator, so will use it for visiting my job sites in the city, and relegate my gas guzzling Tundra (my current daily) to hauling lumber and the occasional tools.

I live within about 20 minutes of the foothills, and 45 min from the Canadian Rockies. My passions are fly-fishing (streams - the fewer chance of seeing human footprints, the better), cycling (road & mountain bikes), hiking, and skiing (downhill, XC, and backcountry). Whenever I'm heading out, I usually seek out the scenic, unpaved route, so will use it for enjoying the journey as much as the destination. Because it's more off-road friendly than my Tundra, I think it will get me closer to some more secluded spots on my favourite streams. I will likely crash in the back the odd time when the fishing's good and don't wanna head home, or just feel like having a few beers and a campfire after a long day on the river.

90% will be solo driving, but we just ordered my wife an E-mountain bike (so she can keep up, or go on longer rides) so between that and hiking, it will be our weekend vehicle to enjoy together.
Wow...a work truck?! I do a lot of hiking and mountain biking out on desert OHV trails on my own as well. It'll be interesting to see how the tumble forward rear seats impact sleeping room. My 4Runner, with the different style folding seats, is just long enough (I'm 5'9"). Hopefully there'll be enough room after I figure out how to fill in that drop-down gap behind the seats and ahead of the elevated rear cargo area.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t really call it a “work” truck as much as an “office” truck. I own the business so am more of a Project Manager. The 2.4 hybrid should save me a ton of gas - I’m at around $160 a week right now.

I was thinking a firm’ish foam to make up the drop to the back seats, then maybe a thinner one overtop all of it. I’m 6’ tall so will have to see if that even works.

It'll be my everyday vehicle traversing the approximately 6 square miles that my entire town takes up. 🙃 Lots of winter driving, gravel roads, and an occasional jaunt across a corn stubble field when my husband forgets something and I run it out to the combine.
SD? You and any vehicle have to be tough! Those corn stubble fields will give the wheel articulation a good test. We used to have a 400-acre dry farm so can relate.

I wouldn’t really call it a “work” truck as much as an “office” truck. I own the business so am more of a Project Manager. The 2.4 hybrid should save me a ton of gas - I’m at around $160 a week right now.

I was thinking a firm’ish foam to make up the drop to the back seats, then maybe a thinner one overtop all of it. I’m 6’ tall so will have to see if that even works.
Hey, work is work, right? My 4Runner averages about 17 (13.5 towing), bad enough that I think twice about driving it more than a couple hundred miles from home. I'm interested in the GX550 but just watched a YouTube video from Toyota off-road course testing and saw average mpg down around 13. No thanks...

For filling that back seat gap, I wonder if there's something inflatable available? I'll start looking.

SD? You and any vehicle have to be tough! Those corn stubble fields will give the wheel articulation a good test. We used to have a 400-acre dry farm so can relate.
Close - ND! No doubt I'll baby the LC for a few weeks, but then the practical side will kick in and it will be forced to make some farm runs

It'll be interesting to see how it tows the boat! My 4Runner, with the 5-speed transmission, really has to work while towing at highway speeds. That's one my big "justifications" for the LC. We get snow here in southern Utah (I live at 6,000 ft elevation), so the full-time 4WD will be nice. Hope your LC can haul the groceries and golf clubs.:)
My 4Runner is also not a great towing vehicle. It seems like there is enough power but as you press harder on the accelerator to go highway speeds the trans wants to downshift so it's in 4th gear screaming away almost all the time. I'm hoping that the LC does better.

Close - ND! No doubt I'll baby the LC for a few weeks, but then the practical side will kick in and it will be forced to make some farm runs
Oops on SD! I know better because my niece is a dean at NDSU and my nephew is in law school there. My apologies! Nothing like a little farm dust to signal a vehicle's transition to real life.

Colorado daily driver, weekend warrior to mountains, roads and backcountry (Alpine Loop, Black Bear, Telluride Bridal Falls, Moab, Spud Lake, etc.). Not to the local City Market/ Kroger’s though, that’s for the family beater. Cars take more hits and damage there than anywhere else. 😕

Ain't that the truth. My wife's Rav4 thats 3 years newer than my taco has way more damage from where she parks for work than my truck has ever gotten

Colorado daily driver, weekend warrior to mountains, roads and backcountry (Alpine Loop, Black Bear, Telluride Bridal Falls, Moab, Spud Lake, etc.). Not to the local City Market/ Kroger’s though, that’s for the family beater. Cars take more hits and damage there than anywhere else. 😕
A Colorado "daily driver" probably gets a pretty good workout! I do drive my '21 4Runner on grocery runs but park way out in the boondocks, so far I have to carry a bottle of water with me. :p

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back