Hello from Virginia Beach

ovʀʟxnᴅ

📛 Founding Member
Jan 28, 2024
Virginia Beach, VA
Vehicles
2006 Lexus GX470
I always tell everyone that the off-road hobby is a foolish pursuit living where we do. Step one is always the same: drive to the other side of the state because that's where the trails are. Still, this is the hobby I've had since I was a teenager and got my first vehicle: a 1985 S-10 4x4 pickup, which was 12 years old at the time. I've had numerous vehicles since then. I've read a lot about Land Crusiers, but never had a LC proper...yet.

I fell in love with the concept version of the FJ Crusier. I had the pleasure of spending 5 years with a 2007, from 2015-2020. Unfortunately, it was taken from me long before its time.

1706484017870.jpeg

1706484063235.jpeg

Since then, I've been in a 2006 Lexus GX470. It does everything I need it to do and is always a pleasure to drive, but I never fell in love with it like I did the FJ.

1706484288368.jpeg

1706484318787.jpeg

I'm at a stage in life where I am debt free except for an affordable mortgage and just got an amazing promotion, so I can pretty much afford to drive whatever suits my fancy. I've had great luck with two Japan-built Toyotas, and would love for a 24+ LC to be my next purchase. I think I'd buy one and have it painted Voodoo Blue to match my FJ. The GX got a new timing belt and water pump 30,000 miles ago, so it should last me until a new LC is available. 😁

Welcome to the forum OVRLXnD! Sorry to hear you do not have the off-roading opportunities we do here in the West where we enjoy millions of acres of public lands. Nevertheless, wishing you luck re a 2024+ LC. Personally, it will be that, or a 2024+ GX 550, the latter being more probable, all things technical considered.

There's lots of wheeling in VA, WV, TN, NC, and KY. I'm used to traveling to get to the trails.

I'm not against going the Lexus route again, and my impatience may take me that option, but I actually like the additional MPG the LC should achieve.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! The photo of your FJ in the woods is beautiful! It's sad to see how it ended but I'm glad it protected you and kept you safe. Have you thought about wrapping the new Land Cruiser in Voodoo Blue instead of painting it?

You are right, in the wreck it protected me and my young nephew extremely well. A little bit of seatbelt rash was all he got. Being older, I had a few weeks of physical therapy, but eventually got back to feeling like myself. Aside from keeping me safe, the FJ took me to lots of amazing and even unusual places. I can't wait to find another rig that I fall in love with the way I did the FJ.

1706907692800.png
1706907662690.png
1706907713120.png

I would consider a wrap, but the cost locally is comparable to paint, so I don't really see the point. It would come down to how well it protects the factory paint, how well it tolerates pinstriping on the the trail, how long it takes to fade, and how hard it is or how much it costs to remove.

Back