Cargo area

chris_in_phx

📛 Founding Member
Dec 5, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Vehicles
Ford F-150
I looked through the specs and toyota is saying the LC 250 has 37.5 cuft of cargo space (I’m assuming this is behind the second row). I’m a bit surprised to find that toyota specs the 4runner’s cargo behind 2nd row at 46 cuft. Does this sound right to folks? I was expecting the LC to have more cargo space since (I thought) its dimensions are a bit bigger. 37.5 seems kinda low to me; going from a full size pickup with ~53 cuft in the truck bed under the tonneau cover.

The battery is in the cargo floor area so it will take up some space. The 2nd row seats also fold and/or fold/slide vertically to offer more cargo area. But who knows for sure until we see some real reviews. Someone else on here questioning the legroom spec as it seemed way too low. Maybe the cargo capacity spec is misstated too?

…And just checked GX550 overtrail and it has 45.6cu ft behind 2nd row (no 3rd row in Overtrail). So maybe the 37.5 for LC is correct.

Last edited:
The battery is in the cargo floor area so it will take up some space. The 2nd row seats also fold and/or fold/slide vertically to offer more cargo area. But who knows for sure until we see some real reviews. Someone else on here questioning the legroom spec as it seemed way too low. Maybe the cargo capacity spec is misstated too?

…And just checked GX550 overtrail and it has 45.6cu ft behind 2nd row (no 3rd row in Overtrail). So maybe the 37.5 for LC is correct.
theres this prado review (see link) with the 3rd row that is measured about 1 meter deep (40") and 1.2 meters wide (47") so accounting for the battery height and the seat height in the back (35") that gets us to about 37.5cu feet. (this is in line with my Rav4) so comparing what the vid shows and looking at my Rav it does seem on the small side....

with the seats folded up in the GX550 theres about 77 cu feet so I'm assuming that for the LC its 70-75cu ft.

seems like something that is best viewed in person....and just like the fuel tank question, will need to just wait and see if the number is amended by Toyota....

The 4Runner is an outlier for cargo space in this size of vehicle. It's got more cargo space than a Sequoia. Which is crazy. It's also got more than the Land Cruiser...I'm chalking that up to the dumb design on how the 2nd row folds on the LC, but I don't know how they actually measure the volume, so that may not be the case.

The cargo area in the Sequoia was a deal breaker for me, hopefully, the LC's is better in person.

That's a difference of 8.1cu.ft. The cargo area is approximately 48" wide and 40" deep. In order to get to 8.1cu.ft, for a battery that raises the floor in it's entirety, it would have to raise the floor around 7.5" upward into the cargo area to decrease the total volume by that amount. I definitely don't see the battery taking up that entire amount of volume, but I can see the battery taking up half of it and there being underfloor storage that is aft of the battery and around 6" tall. I haven't seen a good video that shows if there is storage under the cargo area.

My GR Corolla has a lot of wasted space in a similar way because the 12V battery is in the rear, so there is just a giant chunk of foam in the cargo area well to the left of the battery to keep the cargo floor flat. It's big enough that many people have cut the foam out and put a space saver spare there.

IMO, the volume isn't such a concern. The way the seats tumble is the biggest downside of the Land Cruiser from a car camping perspective. The cargo floor isn't flat with the folded / tumbled 2nd row, so sleeping in the back will 100% require something to level it out. My '23 4Runner has the sliding cargo deck. It raises the cargo floor by about 4", but it is completely flat with the folded 2nd row. I toss down a thermarest and it's very comfortable to sleep in. It is also tall enough that I can sit in the back and easily change clothes or whatever. I think car campers for the Land Cruiser will want to pull the 2nd row entirely and install a small platform to bring the open 2nd row space to the same height as the cargo area. Luckily, I only have 1 kid, so it is very possible that I'd just remove the 60 side of the 60:40 split and build the platform in that space.

yeah the seats not laying flat is frustrating... I think I'm just going to have to see one in person to judge. Some of the in-person reviews on YouTube of the GX overtrail in Tuscon said the GX has plenty of cargo space (very subjective)... and yes the battery in the LC takes up some space but the raised up flooring looks to be 3-4" (?). Honestly I think cargo space (and the test drive) will be the make or break for this thing. While we don't have a large family, a cooler, some luggage, my infatable fishing raft etc. all add up quick.

yeah the seats not laying flat is frustrating... I think I'm just going to have to see one in person to judge. Some of the in-person reviews on YouTube of the GX overtrail in Tuscon said the GX has plenty of cargo space (very subjective)... and yes the battery in the LC takes up some space but the raised up flooring looks to be 3-4" (?). Honestly I think cargo space (and the test drive) will be the make or break for this thing. While we don't have a large family, a cooler, some luggage, my infatable fishing raft etc. all add up quick.
And the fact that the smaller 4Runner has more interior space that happens to be pretty f'n flat (or completely flat if you have the slider). For 20 grand less LOL

I really don't understand their decisions here. That second row fold & tumble is ridiculous. Yeah, if they add a third row, that would be useful...But the 4Runner gets two different second row seats for 2 vs 3 row. Not like it's new technology that needs to be sussed out.

theres this prado review (see link) with the 3rd row that is measured about 1 meter deep (40") and 1.2 meters wide (47") so accounting for the battery height and the seat height in the back (35") that gets us to about 37.5cu feet. (this is in line with my Rav4) so comparing what the vid shows and looking at my Rav it does seem on the small side....

with the seats folded up in the GX550 theres about 77 cu feet so I'm assuming that for the LC its 70-75cu ft.

seems like something that is best viewed in person....and just like the fuel tank question, will need to just wait and see if the number is amended by Toyota....
Autoblog indicates 90.5 cuft for GX for total cargo area. Also note that GX550 is approx 4 inches longer than LC so that may translate into more cargo storage?? They dont have info on LC 2024 yet.

As mentioned will need to see LC in person to decide & evaluate!

And the fact that the smaller 4Runner has more interior space that happens to be pretty f'n flat (or completely flat if you have the slider). For 20 grand less LOL

I really don't understand their decisions here. That second row fold & tumble is ridiculous. Yeah, if they add a third row, that would be useful...But the 4Runner gets two different second row seats for 2 vs 3 row. Not like it's new technology that needs to be sussed out.
The 4Runner is built to a standard that is 15 years older. That will probably make itself known when comparing roof crush strength or side impact strength (especially in the rear positions). I expect when the 6th gen 4Runner is released, it will have similar problems depending on configuration and be a hair smaller than the current model. It will be interesting to see if the 4Runner gets 2 different 2nd row seats like the current gen. I've had 3 5th gen 4Runners and I always choose the 2 row models because the cargo floor is much lower and that gives more volume. If it comes down to hybrid versus non-hybrid 4Runner, I'll have to see what the benefit is of the hybrid over conventional for performance, cost, etc. I really do like my '23 Pro, but getting out of my turbocharged GR Corolla has me wanting boost. I just prefer how boosted vehicles drive. Surge of torque.

That battery & placement of appears to be really impacting that back spacing. I heard in a video that the floor is as such because of the battery and placement of the spare tire under that.
I also am not overly fond of the tumble seats. I love how in my Outback now, I can just hit a sideswitch and boom they fold flat and I can slide in XYZ item from the back, vs having to mess around with seats. How often? Often enough since I golf so it worth looking closer for me. ;)

Autoblog indicates 90.5 cuft for GX for total cargo area. Also note that GX550 is approx 4 inches longer than LC so that may translate into more cargo storage?? They dont have info on LC 2024 yet.

As mentioned will need to see LC in person to decide & evaluate!
I may be wrong but the GX’s additional length must come from the elongated front end cap because they share the same wheelbase. The comparison photo isn’t exactly to scale but you can really see that there’s definitely a much more bulbous nose on the GX.

IMG_5783.jpeg

The 4Runner is built to a standard that is 15 years older. That will probably make itself known when comparing roof crush strength or side impact strength (especially in the rear positions). I expect when the 6th gen 4Runner is released, it will have similar problems depending on configuration and be a hair smaller than the current model. It will be interesting to see if the 4Runner gets 2 different 2nd row seats like the current gen. I've had 3 5th gen 4Runners and I always choose the 2 row models because the cargo floor is much lower and that gives more volume. If it comes down to hybrid versus non-hybrid 4Runner, I'll have to see what the benefit is of the hybrid over conventional for performance, cost, etc. I really do like my '23 Pro, but getting out of my turbocharged GR Corolla has me wanting boost. I just prefer how boosted vehicles drive. Surge of torque.
If I can't get an MSRP or under LC by summer, I'll be buying a '23 4Runner. I'll supercharge it though. I too, enjoy forced induction :D

Have a look.

The hybrid battery is higher than the third row folded. But not a huge difference.
Looks to me like the 3rd row is ever so slightly taller than the hybrid model. If you look at the photo below, very little of the folded 2nd row seatback is exposed at the pivot point. The leading edge of the cargo area ramps up to almost meet the height of the folded 2nd row seatback.

1708813108584.png

On the hybrid model, quite a lot of the folded 2nd row seatback is visible at the pivot point. The entire hinge mechanism of the seat back sits above the cargo area floor.
1708813130320.png

My takeaway is that the cargo floor of the 2 row hybrid model is completely flat, but will have a considerable step when the 2nd row is folded. The 3 row model appears to be the same as the 5th gen 4Runner 3rd row in basic function. It will make for a flatter cargo area when the 2nd row is stowed, but not as nice of a cargo area when the 2nd row is up.

IMO, the 6th gen 4Runner will have this exact setup. I can't see them developing a 2nd style of 2nd row seat for 2 row models and NOT giving it to the Land Cruiser as well.

Latest Discussions

Back