A year ago, I didn't know the difference between a Land Cruiser and a Sequoia.

TrailWhale

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Apr 25, 2024
NA
Last year we sold our camper van with the plan on replacing it with a 4Runner once they came out with new hybrid models. I always loved the FJ cruiser, but that just wasn't practical with a family. I started hearing about "a new Land Cruiser" last summer and how it might be "like an FJ and a 4Runner had a baby"... told my wife that there was a wild card here with as of yet unannounced new land cruiser. "Aren't those really big and really expensive?" she asked. "Yeah... but maybe not as big or as expensive anymore!".

I watched the reveal live and it was obvious at that point I was destined to get a Land Cruiser 250. I loved the look, the dialed back features, the new size, and yeah, it was like an FJ and a 4Runner had a baby! Since then I've caught up on all my LC history, learned how passionate/cranky/stubborn the LC community is and how important it is to so many people if something is or is not a Prado. I also started noticing all the old cruisers around my neighborhood. I've been on my local dealer's list since mid-august at #27. When pricing and trims were revealed it made sense to go with LC trim for two-tone colors (FJ vibes), SDM, and MTM. I did not want premium package, 20" wheels, or all the port installed junk though, so I expected I might need to wait a while.

I really wanted to see the 4Runner update before deciding for sure on the LC, so I was pretty excited when that happened. I spent a lot of time thinking and reflecting on the two. I wasn't blown away by the new 4Runner and didn't entirely love the new look, but no doubt there is a lot to like about it! After deep some soul searching, the LC won out - thanks to its handsome looks, the FJ Vibes, seemingly roomier and tasteful interior for a family, and of course fulltime 4WD.

Two weeks ago I was offered 3 different LC trim allocations, all Meteor Shower. I declined, holding out for those sweet sweet FJ vibes of the Trail Dust or Heritage Blue cruisers. This past weekend, I got the call with a pretty much perfect match - Heritage Blue LC Trim, no premium package, and only a few options: Moonroof (i could have gone either way), cross bars (frankly pretty useful for the immediate term for our cargo box), and the all-weather cargo mat. MSRP, arrives in early July!

So anyway, hello! Thanks for having me, excited to join the cruiser community!

Welcome. You're right, there is lots of talk about what is a "real" land cruiser. I don't even like going on the ih8mud forum anymore much, it's so toxic but hilarious at the same time. The Land Cruiser 250 is just as capable as the 80/100/200 series, if not more so.

Last year we sold our camper van with the plan on replacing it with a 4Runner once they came out with new hybrid models. I always loved the FJ cruiser, but that just wasn't practical with a family. I started hearing about "a new Land Cruiser" last summer and how it might be "like an FJ and a 4Runner had a baby"... told my wife that there was a wild card here with as of yet unannounced new land cruiser. "Aren't those really big and really expensive?" she asked. "Yeah... but maybe not as big or as expensive anymore!".

I watched the reveal live and it was obvious at that point I was destined to get a Land Cruiser 250. I loved the look, the dialed back features, the new size, and yeah, it was like an FJ and a 4Runner had a baby! Since then I've caught up on all my LC history, learned how passionate/cranky/stubborn the LC community is and how important it is to so many people if something is or is not a Prado. I also started noticing all the old cruisers around my neighborhood. I've been on my local dealer's list since mid-august at #27. When pricing and trims were revealed it made sense to go with LC trim for two-tone colors (FJ vibes), SDM, and MTM. I did not want premium package, 20" wheels, or all the port installed junk though, so I expected I might need to wait a while.

I really wanted to see the 4Runner update before deciding for sure on the LC, so I was pretty excited when that happened. I spent a lot of time thinking and reflecting on the two. I wasn't blown away by the new 4Runner and didn't entirely love the new look, but no doubt there is a lot to like about it! After deep some soul searching, the LC won out - thanks to its handsome looks, the FJ Vibes, seemingly roomier and tasteful interior for a family, and of course fulltime 4WD.

Two weeks ago I was offered 3 different LC trim allocations, all Meteor Shower. I declined, holding out for those sweet sweet FJ vibes of the Trail Dust or Heritage Blue cruisers. This past weekend, I got the call with a pretty much perfect match - Heritage Blue LC Trim, no premium package, and only a few options: Moonroof (i could have gone either way), cross bars (frankly pretty useful for the immediate term for our cargo box), and the all-weather cargo mat. MSRP, arrives in early July!

So anyway, hello! Thanks for having me, excited to join the cruiser community!
Congrats! I'm looking for the same package for the same reasons but in Meteor Shower (Brown Sugar Mettalic). Sadly, being in Canada, I have a bit more of a wait than you. ENJOY, and post pics!

Welcome. You're right, there is lots of talk about what is a "real" land cruiser. I don't even like going on the ih8mud forum anymore much, it's so toxic but hilarious at the same time. The Land Cruiser 250 is just as capable as the 80/100/200 series, if not more so.
I feel the exact same about ih8mud. When I'm in the proper frame of mind and scroll past the bickering, it can be great - other times not so much. The 250 crowd is clearly outside their mainstream, some serious hardcore off roader/overlander guys over there, much respect for that but they can be very polarized.

Greatest hits:
Just a Prado
Light Duty not a real LC
8.2 vs 9.5 differential

I feel the exact same about ih8mud. When I'm in the proper frame of mind and scroll past the bickering, it can be great - other times not so much. The 250 crowd is clearly outside their mainstream, some serious hardcore off roader/overlander guys over there, much respect for that but they can be very polarized.

Greatest hits:
Just a Prado
Light Duty not a real LC
8.2 vs 9.5 differential
the same thoughts & vibes here. I visited ih8mud forum a few times the last month or so but as Teebo said many discussions on the new LC are toxic and negative. It gets old and boring in a hurry.

The whole thing is hilarious. My FJ80 was lifted with 33" tires, and I would bet this new LC250 would go anywhere that one would probably easier too.

Back