Departure2226
Cargo VolumeNA46.3-47.2
Engine2.4L Turbo Inline-4 + Electric Motor4.0L V6
Transmission8-Speed Automatic5-Speed Automatic
Drivetrain4WD Standard2WD Standard/4 WD Optional
Horsepower326270
Torque465278
Towing60005,000

It's time to compare two of the most off-road ready SUVs from Toyota - the trusty, reliable 2023 Toyota 4Runner and the next-generation 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser.

With a starting priced at $40,155, the 4Runner is powered by a 4.0L V6 engine delivering 270 horsepower and 278 lb-ft of torque, paired with a 5-speed automatic transmission. Its fuel efficiency sits at 16 city and 19 highway MPG. It offers a wheelbase of 109.8 inches, a length of 190.2 inches, a width of 75.8 inches, and a height of 73.2 inches. Ground clearance is ample at 9.6 inches, with an approach angle of 33 degrees and a departure angle of 26 degrees. Cargo volume stands at 46.3-47.2 cubic feet, and it can tow up to 5,000 lbs.

On the other hand, the 2024 Land Cruiser is projected to start at around $50,000. It boasts a 2.4L Turbo Inline-4 engine coupled with an electric motor, generating a robust 326 horsepower and a whopping 465 lb-ft of torque. The transmission is an 8-speed automatic, and unlike the 4Runner, 4WD comes standard. It also offers improved fuel economy with an estimated 25 city and 27 highway MPG. The Land Cruiser is slightly larger with a wheelbase of 112.2 inches, a length of 193.7 inches, and a width of 84.2 inches, though the height and ground clearance match the 4Runner. Its approach, breakover, and departure angles are 30/31, 25, and 22 degrees respectively. Towing capacity is beefed up to 6,000 lbs.

Both SUVs offer unique strengths and will cater to different needs. Whether it's the reliable performance of the 4Runner or the innovative technology of the Land Cruiser, both are exciting options for any off-road enthusiast.

Last edited:
I see the 4Runner as a far better bargain, and probably soon to disappear. Toyota has said the entry-level model of the Land Cruiser will be in the "mid-50's", and it is SPARTAN, cloth seats, hard plastics everywhere, even door panels and the armrest. Of course the big downside for the 4Runner is the fuel efficiency, but a person could buy a LOT of gasoline for the price difference. And of course, the 4Runner is a tried-and-true bulletproof drive train. Not so for the new LC. The width figures look amiss. Possibly one includes the mirrors, the other not?

I see the 4Runner as a far better bargain, and probably soon to disappear. Toyota has said the entry-level model of the Land Cruiser will be in the "mid-50's", and it is SPARTAN, cloth seats, hard plastics everywhere, even door panels and the armrest. Of course the big downside for the 4Runner is the fuel efficiency, but a person could buy a LOT of gasoline for the price difference. And of course, the 4Runner is a tried-and-true bulletproof drive train. Not so for the new LC. The width figures look amiss. Possibly one includes the mirrors, the other not?
Yah, that is a huge difference on the width. I'd expect maybe 2" at most.

I hope you guys are wrong. I need to fit 3 kids in the back. Also the 4runner drive train is a dog, sluggish and inefficient.

• Admin
toyota-trucks-and-suvs.png

Photo of the new Land Cruiser next to the 4runner.

Last edited:
Donโ€™t think the 4Runner is going anywhere, it averages sales of 130,000 units per year while the last LC was only selling 3,000 units annually.

The new LC will clearly sell better but itโ€™s low end trim starts at the high end of current 4Runner trims and Toyota isnโ€™t going to abandon the big $40,000 to $ 55,000 market. I can see Toyota coming out with a new 4Runner trim that competes directly with the Wrangler & Bronco including a MT option.

Donโ€™t think the 4Runner is going anywhere, it averages sales of 130,000 units per year while the last LC was only selling 3,000 units annually.

The new LC will clearly sell better but itโ€™s low end trim starts at the high end of current 4Runner trims and Toyota isnโ€™t going to abandon the big $40,000 to $ 55,000 market. I can see Toyota coming out with a new 4Runner trim that competes directly with the Wrangler & Bronco including a MT option.
You're right about 130 000 vs 3 000 , but this is because de "Light Duty" Landcruisers were not sold in US. LC200 was double priced and just little bit cheaper than the LX sister. 4Runner is a great car and a huge success (profit!) for Toyota despite the fuel efficiency and part-time 4WD. LC250 is much different/better in almost every aspect. Let's see 2024 and 2025 sales volumes in order to have a better understanding..

The vehicle width is a critical requirement for me due to garage constraints and narrow forest roads. My current width estimate for the LC 250, not including mirrors, is a maximum body width of 78 inches at the wheel wells and not more than 75 inches between the doors. This would leave around 4.5 inches for each mirror, so I expect my estimate is the maximum.

The 4Runner presence in marketing videos along side the new Land Cruiser signals to me Land Cruiser production ramp-up will be slow in 2024, and everyone who wants a new 4Runner in 2024 can have one.

I'm curious where those 4Runner spec's came from - specifically ground clearance. Maybe that's the 2WD version? Only thing I'm seeing is 9.6 inches for the 4Runner, which is the part about the LC that's been bugging me a bit. 8.7 inches ground clearance is pretty modest for something intended as an off-roader. Maybe this will change closer to production date. I'm hoping so. I honestly find it a bit strange that Toyota's released ZERO about the suspension whereas for the Tacoma, that was a highlight of the launch and they were pretty specific about it.

As for the width, like others have said, I'm quite certain the LC dimensions are WITH mirrors, whereas the 4Runner are without - this was something I'd recently been Googling as well as I need that thing to be in my garage (my Tundra's never seen the inside of my garage).

I'm curious where those 4Runner spec's came from - specifically ground clearance. Maybe that's the 2WD version? Only thing I'm seeing is 9.6 inches for the 4Runner, which is the part about the LC that's been bugging me a bit. 8.7 inches ground clearance is pretty modest for something intended as an off-roader. Maybe this will change closer to production date. I'm hoping so. I honestly find it a bit strange that Toyota's released ZERO about the suspension whereas for the Tacoma, that was a highlight of the launch and they were pretty specific about it.

As for the width, like others have said, I'm quite certain the LC dimensions are WITH mirrors, whereas the 4Runner are without - this was something I'd recently been Googling as well as I need that thing to be in my garage (my Tundra's never seen the inside of my garage).

You're right. I went to Toyota's website and for the 4x4 version, it's showing 9.6". I updated the specs on the first post.

2024-4runner-ground-clearance.png

Wheels are the only ground clearance variable in solid axle vehicles. Toyota invested heavily in fuel efficiency for the LC 250, and the purchase price includes a significant allocation here. Fuel efficiency is very important for me, but Iโ€™m happy to see others have the capability to vastly increase mass and tire size.

Yeah, good point. And the tires are almost 33" I believe, so not too bad. Will be interesting to see what a guy could get away with without a lift/cutting, although the fuel efficiency is a big part of the reason I'm so interested in this vehicle. Will really have to weigh the pros and cons. โš–๏ธ

Regarding the fuel efficiency they continued the good work This family of Landcruiser Prado had always better fuel efficiency (less power also) and a lower price.

A 2 row LC250 is fine for the US as the previous 3 rows US Landcruiser was much more expensive. In Japan, Australia, Europe .... they cannot do this.

Thus 326 HP (a lot!) and 5 seats. The 3rd row of the 4 Runner is not practical for adults but I like the system. It will be interesting to see the split of sales. Both are good off-roaders. The LC250 bonus is a very comfortable, safe and efficient drive on-road.

Back