2024 Toyota Land Cruiser: Just Don't Pop The Hood

Pretty sure all these guys complaining about the loss of the V6 are gonna pretty disappointed with most new vehicles coming down the pike over the next 5 years. Personally, while I've always been a Toyota lover (have owned them for almost 50 years - my first vehicle was the Toyota shortbox 4x4 pickup), my gripes have always been either lack of power or fuel economy. In the early days were a lack of power. Then they listened to consumers and solved that by going with bigger engines. But they had pathetic fuel economy - for example it kills me that heading to the mountains for a day of fly-fishing or skiing costs me almost $50 in gas for my Tundra.

So then they tried to split the difference (as with the last gen Tacoma and 4Runner) with disappointing performance results, and so-so fuel economy. IMO, this looks like they finally got the balance right, and I'm really not interested in the GX until it has an available hybrid.

My 2 cents worth.

Same reason I am not interested in the GX right now. I don't need a 3rd row, and the gas mileage is better in the LC than the GX. Heck, it's better than my IS300 or close to it.

And takes regular fuel!
That's the BIG ONE! People forget and think that oh okay ill take the GX (only like 6 or 7 mpg worse), then realize they have to factor in the price of the high octane fuel $$$$

Pretty sure all these guys complaining about the loss of the V6 are gonna pretty disappointed with most new vehicles coming down the pike over the next 5 years.
Agree. Between the state or federal requirements coming up, and the obvious drive for improved batteries. Those days of V6, V8 are getting slimmer and slimmer.

I'm excited about the LC due to the blend of technology and capabilities. For the (re)entry for this vehicle, Toyota has appeared to make some good choices.

Same reason I am not interested in the GX right now. I don't need a 3rd row, and the gas mileage is better in the LC than the GX. Heck, it's better than my IS300 or close to it.
You know what else I dont like about the GX? They dont have hardly any physical buttons. Everything got sucked into that digital screen. Another + for the LC

I owned a 2015 GX. It was never a barn burner with respects to fast take offs and the V8 was good from about 30mph on. It was/is a heavy vehicle.

I sat in the new GX this year at the off road expo. I have no doubt that the 6cyl turbo will destroy the V8 but there is the premium fuel issue. I have also read a first hand account of someone who rode in a new 250 LC. He stated that the hybrid motor will not disappoint. No link to point to and he admits he shouldn't have shared these comments so I have nothing to provide as evidence.
I believe everyone here on this forum will be pleasantly surprised by these vehicles this year. My feelings about the new LC has swung quite a bit and I'm currently riding a new high.

If I had to guess, it's as a result of today's tech which is all touch. Phone, Pads, everything. Touch or scan face. Dials are "old school". The LC is moving us forward in a different direction.

I prefer the exterior retro look of the Land Cruiser over the GX. I also prefer the interior layout over the Lexus. And buttons are better because I like to watch the road. Of course, this is only based on photos, but I suspect my opinion won't change much once I see them in person.

I also believe the LC motor will satisfy my need for power. My current midsize truck has a 2.3L turbo gasser, and it rips around pretty good, and I'm a lifelong lead foot & V8 Mustang owner, so I appreciate power. The LC has 155 ftlb more torque than my little truck, without being a whole lot heavier. I've towed 8000 lbs for a short distance to get a piece of equipment home, and that motor handled the load impressively. I can also outrun the majority of boneheads on the road with that little turbo 4. Point is, I'm pretty confident the LC motor will have loads of power, and folks won't be complaining too much about not having the twin turbo V6 as an option, especially after comparing the fuel economy difference. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it, for now at least.

If I had to guess, it's as a result of today's tech which is all touch. Phone, Pads, everything. Touch or scan face. Dials are "old school". The LC is moving us forward in a different direction.
More "bleeding edge" tech from Toyota, well known for lagging in the infotainment part of the business. "old school" can be good school when it comes to accident avoidance.

Back