2024 Toyota Land Cruiser 1958 - POVERTY Spec At It's BEST

Hi JimiPro, I love engine braking (Jake's brake?)to stop or slow down. It gives you this confidence that vehicle will stop, without overheating brakes, also called downshifting while braking. To me, this coupled with HUD, heads up display, is the ultimate safety feature. Before buying Sienna, I went to see a Honda Pilot, and it had no TripTronic gearing. I did not believe Honda was so far behind. My premium package should offer laser/HUD and a digital camera based back view mirror. Lexus game changer are 2 things. 1)hybrid technology 2)simplicities galore in 1958. I want that legendary reliability and durability for which LC is famous. My year 2000 LC was the most stable vehicle I have ever driven. Hope Toyota will not let us down in solidity and ruggedness. Please plan a get together after we have our 1958s somewhere in USA, so we can meet each other in person. Looking forward to seeing all the LC literati and technocrats/gearheads soon.

@LCHOU

As soon as I saw the Land Cruiser reveal in Utah it was "game over" for me because of the styling. It seems better proportioned than the GX even though it's only 4" shorter and the front end looks better. Also, I like the interior design in the LC far better. Especially the physical controls. Plus all LC models have better standard Off Road equipment and image.

I was lucky to sit in the GX Overtrail and get up close with the LC last summer and it confirmed my opinion. Not sold on either drivetrain although the V6/10spd. sounds better except the MPG's. I'm hoping for around 20 MPG for the LC. I doubt it will be the 27 MPH that you hear about.

That said, since Toyota is "forcing" me into the LC Premium Pkg just to get the Moonroof and if the price gets close to the $69,250 of the Overtrail, I might reconsider because of the E-KDSS, better factory tires and larger cargo area.

That surprised me about the Moonroof. In Canada, it's part of the standard LC trim.

@LCHOU

As soon as I saw the Land Cruiser reveal in Utah it was "game over" for me because of the styling. It seems better proportioned than the GX even though it's only 4" shorter and the front end looks better. Also, I like the interior design in the LC far better. Especially the physical controls. Plus all LC models have better standard Off Road equipment and image.

I was lucky to sit in the GX Overtrail and get up close with the LC last summer and it confirmed my opinion. Not sold on either drivetrain although the V6/10spd. sounds better except the MPG's. I'm hoping for around 20 MPG for the LC. I doubt it will be the 27 MPH that you hear about.

That said, since Toyota is "forcing" me into the LC Premium Pkg just to get the Moonroof and if the price gets close to the $69,250 of the Overtrail, I might reconsider because of the E-KDSS, better factory tires and larger cargo area.
Great insight and thank you !
The dealer told me that the overtrail + would hit $85K after options were added and port add ons. If I can get a LC trim fully loaded at $70K then that might be the way to go and save $15K.

Great insight and thank you !
The dealer told me that the overtrail + would hit $85K after options were added and port add ons. If I can get a LC trim fully loaded at $70K then that might be the way to go and save $15K.
I'm hoping the LC trim with premium package stays in the mid 60s. Unrealistic?

I thought the GX and the LC have different engines? One reason why (outside of cost) I was never interested in GX. The gas mileage on it is a no go for me.

I thought the GX and the LC have different engines? One reason why (outside of cost) I was never interested in GX. The gas mileage on it is a no go for me.
You are correct. The 2024 GX550 has a twin-turbo 6, but most outlets project the forthcoming hybrid version of the GX550 ("to be announced at a later date") to be the inline 4 used in the US version of the LC250. (The GX550h just announced for China apparently has that in-line 4 LC250 setup.) Anyway, that's why I'm interested in seeing the pricing on the future GX550 hybrid ... to be able to compare to LV250 pricing. Just speculating, but it seems like it would be easiest for Lexus to plop the hybrid battery into the 5-seat Overtrail trim because that would replicate the 5-seat setup in all of the LC250 trim levels.

My thought was that the GX550 Hybrid would feature the same Twin Turbo V6 Hybrid system as the Toyota Sequoia, aiming for a more performance-focused approach and setting it apart from the Land Cruiser.

My thought was that the GX550 Hybrid would feature the same Twin Turbo V6 Hybrid system as the Toyota Sequoia, aiming for a more performance-focused approach and setting it apart from the Land Cruiser.
The GX550 having the Sequoia's in-line 6 hybrid would be amazing, and a way to distinguish that Lexus offering from Toyota's LC250 (and probably the yet-to-be announced 2025 4Runner). So, you and I agree that would be a common sense approach. Here's the catch, however; even the high-priced Lexus LX doesn't feature the hybrid used on Toyota Sequoia. That makes me think the Lexus GX550 won't have the Sequoia hybrid engine before the Lexus LX does.
One way Lexus could resolve this bizarre circumstance would be to offer the 2025 GX550h with the Sequoia hybrid engine ... and give the 2025 Lexus LX a newer/better engine than its Sequoia counterpart. Any thoughts on this would be welcome!

And, yet, the wheels on the 1958 LC still look better than the top-of-the-line Luxury+ GX550!
I will have to respectfully disagree. This said, WHY 22" wheels? Sure, the Luxury+ will be a street queen, but still, a bit of off-roading is not out of the question. Up in our years, but when we see a side road leading to an abandoned mine or ghost town, cannot resist.

Not a fan of those GX550 stockers, there is hardly any tire sidewall with that large of wheel!

lexus-gx550-22wheel.png

Back