2024 Lexus GX 550 "From the Ground Up" Video Series

• Admin

2024 Lexus GX 550 "From the Ground Up" Episode 2 “The Look”​

Last edited:
I like these videos. I need to understand the design decisions before I can reach acceptance on “good enough”. From watching Mike Sweers (TNGA-F design engineering leader) interviews, it appears there were only a few dozen design engineers who defined the initial requirements for the TNGA-F platform. Apparently the whole team was co-located in Japan during the initial design.

• Admin
2024 Lexus GX 550 "From the Ground Up" Episode 3 “The Interior” has been released.

It’s interesting the Lexus team in the videos didn’t mention collaboration with the Calty Design office. The GX550 shares the engine with the Tundra on the TNGA-F platform. Since the GX550 Overtrail trim is the most off-road focused Lexus ever, it seems prudent to highlight their collaboration with the truck experts in the Calty office from a design and functionality perspective.

• Admin
It’s interesting the Lexus team in the videos didn’t mention collaboration with the Calty Design office. The GX550 shares the engine with the Tundra on the TNGA-F platform. Since the GX550 Overtrail trim is the most off-road focused Lexus ever, it seems prudent to highlight their collaboration with the truck experts in the Calty office from a design and functionality perspective.

That is interesting. There is also no mention of the GX550 on their fact sheet: Calty Design Research Fact Sheet - Toyota USA Newsroom

Back