2024 Land Cruiser vs FJ Cruiser - Comparing New and Old Toyotas - Buyer's Guide

Logged quite a few miles in my brothers FJ trail teams edition and although it’s a great platform there are so many advantages to the new LC It’s not really a fair comparison IMHO.

Logged quite a few miles in my brothers FJ trail teams edition and although it’s a great platform there are so many advantages to the new LC It’s not really a fair comparison IMHO.
The biggest question I have is the new engine and turbo. Just not confident that it will hold up to the old Toyota engine life. That is my biggest hesitation.

I share your same concerns. We won’t know until a few years or more into production. For me it’s a risk worth taking considering the current state of quality (lack thereof) elsewhere in the market. I feel Toyota still represents the pinnacle and has standardized this particular powertrain across other platforms. Looking at the detailed architecture of this motor there’s a lot to like in terms of robust design. Modern turbo’s themselves have also come a long way. Plan to change the oil a bit more frequently and this new IForce max should serve well.

The biggest question I have is the new engine and turbo. Just not confident that it will hold up to the old Toyota engine life. That is my biggest hesitation.
Has Toyota ever made a stinker of a motor in an SUV/Truck?

I'm no expert, and my experiences are all in the US market. But going all the way back to the 80's, my truck with the 22RE was reliable as they got back then.

Has Toyota ever made a stinker of a motor in an SUV/Truck?

I'm no expert, and my experiences are all in the US market. But going all the way back to the 80's, my truck with the 22RE was reliable as they got back then.
They have had common teething issues like leaking timing chain covers and crossover coolant pipes etc. These are minor problems that Toyota always seems to iron out. We’re entering unfamiliar territory with this new generation hybrid. Time will tell if they get it right. My money is going all in…

They have had common teething issues like leaking timing chain covers and crossover coolant pipes etc. These are minor problems that Toyota always seems to iron out. We’re entering unfamiliar territory with this new generation hybrid. Time will tell if they get it right. My money is going all in…
I don't think the timing chain cover/cam tower leaks were teething. That was happening from 2007 to 2021 LOL

But yeah. I am not skeert of Toyota. Even with a battery and a hair dryer.

Back