Wifi/Carplay/AA/Toyota Subscriptions

Don

📛 Founding Member
Jul 27, 2024
Media
Chicago
Vehicles
LC250
My mapping will be apple maps and onxmaps, both from Carplay. I will have Starlink roam that can be mounted to the inside of the sunroof. I don't plan to use stalink while moving. I may or may not mount starlink on the exterior roof in the future. My roof rack plans are uncertain.

My assumption is that I don't need to pay Toyota for their wifi connection, as I'm using my phone for that purpose. At this point I'm somewhat confused about all the Toyota subscription services for which we currently have trial subscriptions.

I will consider a cell phone booster. I haven't shopped those for a few years and I don't know current prices and capabilities. I will also consider a GMRS radio. I would like to do all the comms type upgrade at the same time.

I haven't decided if I will continue to use Garmin Inreach as iphone now has emergency satellite comms.

What are you doing, and how do the Toyota subscriptions fit into your plans?

The Wi-Fi in the vehicle is an AT&T subscription. This subscription is required to use the featured Apple Music or Google music. If you don’t use either of those natively in your Toyota, you don’t need the Wi-Fi subscription. You can just use Google Music or Apple Music via CarPlay in your phone.

As far as data, the Wi-Fi subscription could be beneficial if you are in areas that have good AT&T coverage and your phone is on a different plan where your coverage is very weak. For example, when I went to Colorado, my T-Mobile subscription did not work because the signal was pretty much nonexistent. I had Wi-Fi in my forerunner and I was able to make phone calls via the att Wi-Fi.

The Wi-Fi in the vehicle is an AT&T subscription. This subscription is required to use the featured Apple Music or Google music. If you don’t use either of those natively in your Toyota, you don’t need the Wi-Fi subscription. You can just use Google Music or Apple Music via CarPlay in your phone.
I do wonder how many Toyota customers using carplay or AA are unnecessarily paying for that subscription and others?

From what I have read online the app will work without any subscriptions, but I'm not certain. Microsoft has trained people well to not expect elegant interfaces and services.

I don't plan to renew the Toyota subscriptions after the trial expires. I do not see the value in it for my own uses. I have never felt like I'm missing out on anything worthwhile with my other Toyotas either.

I use carplay exclusively for everything - music, podcasts, google maps, & gaia. When out of service, i'm out of service, that's a feature not a bug. I always have maps downloaded on Gaia.

My iPhone has satellite messaging but I also have an Garmin InReach MIni with an active subscription. The Garmin has been handy for weather forecasts when out of service for a few days. Knock on wood that that will continue to be the only use for it!

My vehicle is coming with the extra 2 year connected subscription. Dealer is trying to remove it. They told me you can drop down to just $8 per month for the remote locking feature to work. Not sure if this is accurate or not. Still waiting on mine to process through Portland...

My vehicle is coming with the extra 2 year connected subscription. Dealer is trying to remove it. They told me you can drop down to just $8 per month for the remote locking feature to work. Not sure if this is accurate or not. Still waiting on mine to process through Portland...
What was the cost of the extra two-year connected subscription?

Eight dollars a month for just the remote sounds about right. I think it’s $15 a month for remote and Maps. The Maps also includes the phone calls to the concierge.

Back