Which views does the 360 camera system on the 2024 LC have?

Granite303

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Aug 29, 2024
AZ
I'm looking at the 2024 LC (middle) trim with premium package and have some questions on the 360 camera views.
In this video: (driving the LC trim off road) at the 19:56 mark, they say there is no forward-looking camera. Is that correct?

And more generally, are there all the standard camera views like left and right sides of the vehicle at both front and rear wheels, like the camera system on the 2024 Tacoma? Or is the camera system in the Landcruiser some greatly reduced version of the one for the 14" screens on the Tacoma and others?

Thanks.

My LC model (non-premium) has a forward cam. You can hit it when pulling to a parking spot and on the trails (though it turns off when you go over a certain speed). You can also see an โ€œaboveโ€ view to see how close you are to the car in front of you and how close the one behind you is.

In park it will do a 360 around the vehicle to show all angles as well.

The LC and FE trims both have a front camera as part of the Multi-Terrain Monitor (MTM) system. It looks like in that video while they are driving around that 19 min mark they are in a 1958 trim based on the smaller entertainment screen size

The screen is smaller, but the camera views are likely identical to the new Tacoma. There are six cameras with the premium package. The views around the vehicle are very good. However when the views are displayed and which views are default is poorly implemented by Toyota.

On the FE there are two Fwd looking cameras and two rear cameras. One of the fwd looking cameras are for Terrain, parking etc...... the other is for the Lane Assist, Traffic Jam stuff etc......

Thanks for the comments. Here's a good video showing all the views and selections available for the 2024 tacoma camera system (~6 minutes in length):
I haven't found a comparable video for the 2024 LC but it sure seems like the Tacoma (even though it should be the same system just a smaller screen on the LC?) has a lot more capabilities/views. Just the number of on-screen mode selection buttons alone seems significantly more than what I've seen on LC videos where the camera system is shown. But I don't know, maybe it's just organized differently on the LC and just takes more levels of menus to get to every mode.

Panoramic View Monitor (PVM) vs Multi Terrain Monitor (MTM):
I had previously thought that MTM (available only in off-road-oriented Toyota models) was just an additional, separate mode tacked onto PVM. In other words, if your Toyota has MTM, it also has PVM. That's how the 2024 Tacoma user interface is set up (you separately turn MTM on or off, and when MTM is off, you're in PVM mode), but it doesn't seem to be how the 2024 landcruiser (all models have MTM) is set up.
But maybe I'm just missing something about the LC user interface. Why Toyota would have different user interfaces in different vehicles of the same model year for the same functionality is beyond me.

Thanks for the comments. Here's a good video showing all the views and selections available for the 2024 tacoma camera system (~6 minutes in length):
I haven't found a comparable video for the 2024 LC but it sure seems like the Tacoma (even though it should be the same system just a smaller screen on the LC?) has a lot more capabilities/views. Just the number of on-screen mode selection buttons alone seems significantly more than what I've seen on LC videos where the camera system is shown. But I don't know, maybe it's just organized differently on the LC and just takes more levels of menus to get to every mode.

Panoramic View Monitor (PVM) vs Multi Terrain Monitor (MTM):
I had previously thought that MTM (available only in off-road-oriented Toyota models) was just an additional, separate mode tacked onto PVM. In other words, if your Toyota has MTM, it also has PVM. That's how the 2024 Tacoma user interface is set up (you separately turn MTM on or off, and when MTM is off, you're in PVM mode), but it doesn't seem to be how the 2024 landcruiser (all models have MTM) is set up.
But maybe I'm just missing something about the LC user interface. Why Toyota would have different user interfaces in different vehicles of the same model year for the same functionality is beyond me.

I agree. The Tacoma interface looks to be a lot more usable than what I've seen so far on the LC. But I haven't explored 4 low yet. The spinning 360 view as a default is particularly bad.

I agree. The Tacoma interface looks to be a lot more usable than what I've seen so far on the LC. But I haven't explored 4 low yet. The spinning 360 view as a default is particularly bad.
On the spinning 360 view, what seems obvious to me is to implement that view so the driver can slide their finger on the screen to quickly rotate to the angle they want to see (or quickly spin the full 360 rather than a long, computer-controlled spin rate). But oddly enough, Hyundai/Kia is the only manufacturer I'm aware of that does it that way.

The 1958 trim does not come with MTM

Panoramic View Monitor (PVM) is just a function that the digital rear view mirror has and is unrelated to MTM. The non-premium/FE trims that don't have PVM still view the overhead 360 degree type view on the multimedia screen

It is wild how many more options there are on the tacoma views... The LC has essentially the same basic options, but much less tunable. Honestly, i dont know how much is lost without them though

The 1958 trim does not come with MTM

Panoramic View Monitor (PVM) is just a function that the digital rear view mirror has and is unrelated to MTM. The non-premium/FE trims that don't have PVM still view the overhead 360 degree type view on the multimedia screen

It is wild how many more options there are on the tacoma views... The LC has essentially the same basic options, but much less tunable. Honestly, i dont know how much is lost without them though
Thanks for the correction on the 1958 model not having MTM.
PVM is not related to the digital rear view mirror, although that confusingly has some "panoramic" aspects to it. Here's Toyota's own video on the differences between PVM and MTM, describing MTM as a supplemental mode for PVM: That's also the way the Tacoma implements it.
They make this all way too confusing.

I agree, it is clear as mud. I was semi-worried when getting my base LC trim that it would not have the overhead camera views since it didnt have PVM... That view makes parking a breeze

some shots from my LC trim base model (no premium) with MTS/MVM but not PVM

in drive mode / park, this auto pans around 360 degrees, touching pauses it, cant control

PXL_20240830_162553821.MP.jpg

The other drive mode/park overhead pan, same touch to pause

PXL_20240830_162558660.MP.jpg

Putting the car into drive while in drive mode, you get the overhead and front camera

PXL_20240830_162722168.jpg

control options
PXL_20240830_162614936.jpg

When enabling multiterrain select (MTS) the views change to this, front camera view
PXL_20240830_162631049.jpg

MTS under camera view (the black box is underneath, there aren't actually cameras under there, it builds the image as you drive over, and i was just parked)
PXL_20240830_162640516.jpg

Thanks for posting those photos. Now I'm even more confused (it's almost like the Toyota marketing people did this on purpose, for their own entertainment at the confusion). On other Toyota vehicles, MTS (Multi terrain Select) is something very different (should have just called it Terrain Select) and has nothing to do with camera views but is instead about choosing a programming for drive modes over different terrains. And what you're showing/seeing (on the non-premium LC anyway) is MTM as a stand-alone mode with no ability to revert to PVM. It's all very bizarre. I wonder if the LC premium is different? It's like the individual vehicle development teams don't talk to each other and don't talk to Toyota's central marketing. Yet Toyota talks so much about how they re-use things across platforms. Go figure.

They really confused things by calling it the multi terrain monitor and multi terrain select... MTM should just be called camera mode really

Switching between "drive mode" and MTS changes the available camera views in MTM. When in MTS mode (you press the MTS button and select a terrain mode), it is assumed you are offroad so it has more offroad specific views, and drive mode has more parking lot views.

PVM is only a digital rear view feature, it shows the 360 view in the rearview or something like that

Despite the earned negativity, I will point out to non-owners that some of the camera views are superb for tight spaces and off roading. Even with the mirrors folded in the top down view is very useful. The ultrasonic sensors aren't need if the driver uses the camera view.

The backup camera is very good, and the rear view mirror camera means that the rear window can be completely blocked with losing awareness of whats behind the vehicle.

The side mirrors are also large and useful. The yellow blindspot warning seems perfect.

I'm not sure which vehicles have which features. I have the premium trim so I probably have everything electronic.

Back