Turbo Timer

jambo

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Apr 21, 2024
Media
Canada
Vehicles
Landcruiser Landcruiser
Does the new LC require a turbo-timer to be installed? I know the wastegate is vacuum-operated, but how is the bearing cooled after the engine shuts down? We added a turbo-timer in old-school engines, but I have not read anyone discussing this yet.

Does the new LC require a turbo-timer to be installed? I know the wastegate is vacuum-operated, but how is the bearing cooled after the engine shuts down? We added a turbo-timer in old-school engines, but I have not read anyone discussing this yet.

This is a great question. I had one on my MKIV Supra and my TSi AWD Talon --- although I must say I haven't seen many people using them in years. I'm not sure my GTR had one either. In for the info.

That is a good question. Had one on my TA years ago. It is a good practice to keep the oil changed and after hard running, like heavy towing, to allow the engine to run at idle for a few minutes to allow the coolant and oil to circulate. I would think under normal driving it won't be an issue.

That is a good question. Had one on my TA years ago. It is a good practice to keep the oil changed and after hard running, like heavy towing, to allow the engine to run at idle for a few minutes to allow the coolant and oil to circulate. I would think under normal driving it won't be an issue.
Yeah you maybe right. Just thinking if this is a low end torque engine and peak torque is achieved at low rim, that makes me think turbo comes on pretty early and turbine wheel is spinning very fast. Might be a good idea to install one as a precaution for mental peace. Unless these new engines have some fancy electric driven oil pump with a bypass to supply oil to the bearing after shut-down. Theoretically possible but I doubt it will be in the new LC. I am old school thinking can't help. Lol

This interview with the tacoma lead engineer (same engine) sounds like there isn't as much of a worry about cooling down

Sweet. Thank you this post.

Yeah you maybe right. Just thinking if this is a low end torque engine and peak torque is achieved at low rim, that makes me think turbo comes on pretty early and turbine wheel is spinning very fast. Might be a good idea to install one as a precaution for mental peace. Unless these new engines have some fancy electric driven oil pump with a bypass to supply oil to the bearing after shut-down. Theoretically possible but I doubt it will be in the new LC. I am old school thinking can't help. Lol
I'm thinking the electric motor will take care of the low end torque

IMG_6816.jpeg

Back