Torque Graph

Colorado

📛 Founding Member
Jun 24, 2024
Media
Lone Tree, Colorado
Vehicles
2024 Toyota Land Cruiser
I'd read that the LC get's maximum torque at around 1,700 rpms. That didn't seem right as I believed that, for gas engines, torque equalled (HP x RPMs)/5,252. I took that to mean that torque and HP are always equal at 5,252 RPMs, which is a lot higher than 1,700 RPMs.

But as a lot of the LC's torque is provided by the electric motor, and electric motors deliver 100% of their torque at 1 RPM, everything is different. I needed to re-educate myself.

So I looked up a torque graph for the LC on Google and found a comparable one on MotorTrend, https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-toyota-tacoma-i-force-max-hybrid-engine-details/. It is for the Tacoma's iForceMax engine. Here is the graph:

Torque-Curves-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
I found this interesting. Look at how the torque descends from 1,700 RPMs until, at 5,252 RPMs, it is at about 326, the HP of the gas engine.

Last edited:
The 5252 is merely a conversion factor and has nothing to do with an actual RPM. Substituting 9550 for 5252 in the same equation will give you the torque as measured in newton-meters instead of pound-feet.

Because of this, though, it just works out mathematically that at 5252 RPM, the HP and Torque (in pound-feet) will be equal. The same would be true at 9550 RPM where the Torque (in pound-feet) and horsepower would similarly be equal. Good luck testing that! 😁😁

Last edited:
Back