Thoughts on Michelin Defender LTX M/S2?

Dominus

📛 Founding Member
Aug 6, 2024
Media
Kansas City
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
What has been people’s experience with Michelin Defender LTX M/S2? I mostly am highway commuting with some snow during winter and gravel/dirt roads on the weekends.

Does anyone have pictures of them on their Land Cruiser (preferably in a bigger size, like 275/70/18)?

Attachments

• IMG_8073.jpeg
    IMG_8073.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 129
I’ve driven a few hundred miles on those over the years. Not much to say. They’re very quiet, seemed to do well in the rain, and have a reputation for living a long service life. The few examples I’ve driven rode very well, and steering feel was about as good as you can get on a body on frame truck while still running a useful tire.

They’ve earned a reputation as the light truck highway tire standard for a reason. You probably can’t go wrong with them unless you need a tire for severe snow conditions.

I suggest keeping the stock tires for awhile, considering your use. The stock tires are AT and the people choosing those tires for the LC are not idiots.

I suggest keeping the stock tires for awhile, considering your use. The stock tires are AT and the people choosing those tires for the LC are not idiots.

The stock tires are barely more than highway tires. If you don’t plan to off road much at all might as well put the Michelin highway tires on.

The people choosing them may not be but the dealers inflating them to 40 psi for delivery certainly are!
Actually it is the dealers not deflating the tires during the release inspection. Manufactures ship cars with much higher tire pressure to prevent flat spotting during transport as the car sits in the exact spot on the tire for many weeks. Dealers keep this pressure as their cars also sit on the lot for a long time without moving. They should deflate tires to operational pressure before handing the car after the sale, but most ignore it.

The people choosing them may not be but the dealers inflating them to 40 psi for delivery certainly are!
The tires are over inflated for transport. The dealership should set them to the proper PSI during PDI but that's not always the case. I had 55 PSI in mine which explained the rough ride.

I’ve taken them off road already a few times and they did fine here in SoCal.

Michelin usually does a god job, but for serious off-road use a 10 ply tire is going to pay off in the long run.

I’m not sure what the 20” wheels cone shod in, I’m assuming it isn’t the Michelin LTX Trail that comes on the LC and FE 18”s.

Someone confirm this or correct it please.

Michelin usually does a god job, but for serious off-road use a 10 ply tire is going to pay off in the long run.

I’m not sure what the 20” wheels cone shod in, I’m assuming it isn’t the Michelin LTX Trail that comes on the LC and FE 18”s.

Someone confirm this or correct it please.
I believe the 20’s are fitted with Dunlop grandtrek pt22.

Agreed! Live with the stock 18 Michelins and decide later. You’ve probably seen the video linked in this forum of a stock LC completing Black Bear pass in stock Michelins… it handled it wonderfully! Doubt anyone needs more than that! Maybe serious rock crawler or purely for looks and that’s fine too!

The stock tires are barely more than highway tires. If you don’t plan to off road much at all might as well put the Michelin highway tires on.
Personally I'm replacing the tires. But OP described his use case.

The dunlops are likely reinforced or they would not be marketed as AT tires. Again, Toyota is not stupid. They didn't have dunlop put an AT label on unreinforced street tunes.

What has been people’s experience with Michelin Defender LTX M/S2? I mostly am highway commuting with some snow during winter and gravel/dirt roads on the weekends.

Does anyone have pictures of them on their Land Cruiser (preferably in a bigger size, like 275/70/18)?

I'm still waiting for my 1958 LC to arrive, but I've been using those exact same tires on an AWD Durango in Minnesota. For primarily on-highway driving they are fantastic. Good MPG, very quiet, and good snow/ice traction, not dedicated snow-tire good, but very good for all-season tires. I was planning on running dedicated winter tires on my Durango, but the traction on these tires + AWD was good enough that I didn't bother. Also, very long tread life! I've gotten 90K miles from my last two sets before they wore down to 4/32".

Last edited:
Personally I'm replacing the tires. But OP described his use case.

The dunlops are likely reinforced or they would not be marketed as AT tires. Again, Toyota is not stupid. They didn't have dunlop put an AT label on unreinforced street tunes.
They are reinforced. There is not much info on them, but they are sold in Australia for “severe” off-roading.

What everyone considers severe off-roading is different though, and no tire performs great for all conditions. Like AT tires with very aggressive threads have great deep snow performance but they also have abysmall performance on slick ice due to reduced contact with the surface (ice) when there is nothing to grab.

Attachments

• IMG_6068.jpeg
    IMG_6068.jpeg
    760.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
We have 6,000 miles on the Michelins and I am surprised how good they are. Excellent traction in heavy rain, nice ride on pavement, and so far solid performance on very washed out dirt and gravel roads in Vermont.

I’ve put about 180K on these tires on an F150, Tundra and two 4 runners. They are good highway tires, quiet and low rolling resistance. Good in the wet only so-so in a few inches of snow but doable if you’re going downhill. I’d say gravel is OK but not an off-road tire. I’ve had one catastrophic failure on the interstate and lots of punctures. A good tire for the wife. They seem good for 50 to 65K miles. I presently have the LTX A/T^2 Michelin on an F150, much tougher tire but still quiet. Just a great tire. These come on super duty F series and are all over construction job sites. IMO, if you put defenders on an LC that is immediately the weak link on the vehicle. But, still way better than the absolute crap LTX Trail tires it came with. I swapped those for K03’s and it’s like driving a completely different and more capable vehicle. The steering response is much faster with the stiffer sidewall, the ride is firmer and the perceived grip level is higher. Off-road and durability it’s a whole different league as you can beat the crap out of the old K02 and they keep on going.

Per the Michelin website there are terrible reviews for the OEM Michelin LTX tire the LC FE comes standard with. I hear other reviews that are all over the place with these, but still find it concerning that on Michelins own website they are so poorly rated. And I mean really poorly.

I see your asking specifically about Defenders and I was curious about them - I was also looking at Michelin ice x- which was rated higher than the Toyo open country (I was considering also) with rolling resistance, braking and traction ect on several comparison videos.. so I was thinking I may put that one on.. this is actually a tough decision!

Oh shoot, yes the poor reviews are for the Michelin LTX Trail tires. Not the Defender tire which the OP is inquiring about. Sorry.

Now you guys have me apprehensive…LOL!
I will keep my fingers crossed and replace the LTX Trails as soon as they show serious wear. Just like I had to do with crap stock tires on my 2021 Ridge line.
Regardless, since we live in Vermont and do a lot of winter driving we always use snows and plan to order them from Tire Rack next month as they sell out earlier every year (I heard due to Canadian law requiring them). Not buying winter wheels as always seem to end up with a barn full.

Back