Sway bar disconnect above 19mph?

Dr. W

📛 Founding Member
Sep 18, 2024
Orange County, CA
Vehicles
2024 J250 First Edition, 1978 FJ40
I spent the weekend in Joshua Tree doing some basic, nothing fancy off-roading with my J250 FE. Let me say first of all how impressed I was with the stock off-road capabilities and comfort of this vehicle-- it cruised through a variety of conditions while keeping the family comfortable.

One feature I particularly enjoyed is the electronic stability bar disconnect. Even though I wasn't doing anything especially technical, this feature made the cabin even more comfortable by allowing the suspension to really articulate over uneven terrain. The sway bar disconnect significantly reduced the sometimes jarring back-and-forth swing that I've experienced on other off-road vehicles (including older landcruisers) moving over uneven terrain.

My only qualm is that the sway bar automatically re-locks above 19mpg. From what I've read, this seems to be a common threshold for several other off-road vehicles with electronic sway bar disconnect, like certain Wrangler and Bronco trims. I understand that the automatic re-locking is a safety feature, as allowing too much body roll could be unsafe at highway speeds. But my qualm stems from the fact that the J250 is so stable and comfortable off-road, I often found myself unintentionally edging into 25-30 MPH speeds on mellow stretches. Unfortunately the sway bar would reconnect at 20mph, and the ride quality would become bumpier. So I was stuck either driving slower than I wanted to <19mpg or dealing with the bumpy ride >19mph.

I know some people remove the sway bars altogether on dedicated off-road vehicles, but that wouldn't work for me, as my J250 is driven primarily on pavement, including highway driving with the family.

It would be handy to adjust the sway bar re-connect threshold to 25 or 30 mph. I'm guessing this is a feature that Toyota has locked down, but is there any way to adjust this speed threshold?

Anybody who has used Techstream or another On Board Diagnostics (OBD) kit: is the electronic sway bar reconnect speed a programmable value?

Back