"State of Charge" gauge

pandaExpress

📛 Founding Member
Jul 5, 2024
Media
Driftwood, Texas
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser 1958 * 2013 BMW R1200R * 2007 Dodge Sprinter
I'm getting close to 1,000 miles on my 1958 model, and am slowly exploring all those gauges on the instrument cluster. I arrowed down to the Vehicle Information Display, then cycled through the various monitoring gauges. The one that confused me is the dual turbo boost and "Max" display. The turbo gauge makes sense (0 to 15 psi of turbo boost). I assumed the Max one shows the electric motor assist level at the top and the NiMH battery state at the bottom, but as the battery state dwindled to only three of 8 bars during a stop-and-start commute, I figured maybe I should read the manual for some expert guidance. On page 101 of that tome, this bar graph is called the State of Charge indicator, and then it says it "Displays the current amount of charge remaining in the 12-volt battery." I'm thinking that is wrong, because (a) there's another 9- to 19-volt gauge for the 12-volt battery, and (b) it would make more sense if this state of charge gauge is for the NiMH battery (288 volts). During today's drive, the bars ranged from 3 to 7 of 8. If it can cover nearly its full range in a single drive, it probably represents a pretty narrow range of NiMH voltages. Anybody have a better explanation? This reminds me of one of the recent marketing-department descriptions of the capabilities of the inverter on the Toyota website, claiming it delivers 1,200 kW of power. That's a fair fraction of the output of a standard wind turbine. Not sure where they hid that . . .

Last edited:
I'm getting close to 1,000 miles on my 1958 model, and am slowly exploring all those gauges on the instrument cluster. I arrowed down to the Vehicle Information Display, then cycled through the various monitoring gauges. The one that confused me is the dual turbo boost and "Max" display. The turbo gauge makes sense (0 to 20 psi of turbo boost). I assumed the Max one shows the electric motor assist level at the top and the NiMH battery state at the bottom, but as the battery state dwindled to only three of 8 bars during a stop-and-start commute, I figured maybe I should read the manual for some expert guidance. On page 101 of that tome, this bar graph is called the State of Charge indicator, and then it says it "Displays the current amount of charge remaining in the 12-volt battery." I'm thinking that is wrong, because (a) there's another 9- to 19-volt gauge for the 12-volt battery, and (b) it would make more sense if this state of charge gauge is for the NiMH battery (288 volts). During today's drive, the bars ranged from 3 to 7 of 8. f it can cover nearly its full range in a single drive, it probably represents a pretty narrow range of NiMH voltages. Anybody have a better explanation? This reminds me of one of the recent marketing-department descriptions of the capabilities of the inverter on the Toyota website, claiming it delivers 1,200 kW of power. That's a fair fraction of the output of a standard wind turbine. Not sure where they hid that . . .
That gauge is for the hybrid battery. You can monitor it side by side with the 12v battery gauge and, like you said, they are independent. It also uses a different symbol compared to 12v battery. Manual likely has a mistake.

I have the mid trim level. I see the turbo gauge on the left but I cannot find the max gauge on the right when scrolling through the instrument cluster on the right. The blue ring seen in these screenshots? Where is this?

Attachments

• IMG_7777.png
    IMG_7777.png
    1,017.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7778.png
    IMG_7778.png
    546.1 KB · Views: 31
More info here

I have the mid trim level. I see the turbo gauge on the left but I cannot find the max gauge on the right when scrolling through the instrument cluster on the right. The blue ring seen in these screenshots? Where is this?
Same! I'm baffled as to where people are seeing this max gauge.

Press the right arrow one more time when you're in the right cluster. It opens up a menu that enables/disables options for that widget.

Ha ha, I found it. You press the right arrow one more time to bring up another menu where you select what widgets you want displayed as options (redundant if you ask me). Many option were deselected and I selected them. Now I have MAX.

Attachments

• IMG_7779.jpeg
    IMG_7779.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 18
Back