Sports mode - transformational

Buckfever

📛 Founding Member
Apr 12, 2024
Media
Lake County, IL
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
Maybe it's because I'm coming from a Macan GTS but I really was finding the normal mode on the FE somewhat intimidating, the steering, learning how to work the accelerator for the nuances of the hybrid....
We'll all of that is gone in Sports mode. I immediately felt I was in total control of the vehicle. The steering tightened up the throttle response was seamless. At least for me I found it to be transformational.

Now I just need KO3s to make the ride perfect but I'll get by with what's on there for now.

Maybe it's because I'm coming from a Macan GTS but I really was finding the normal mode on the FE somewhat intimidating, the steering, learning how to work the accelerator for the nuances of the hybrid....
We'll all of that is gone in Sports mode. I immediately felt I was in total control of the vehicle. The steering tightened up the throttle response was seamless. At least for me I found it to be transformational.

Now I just need KO3s to make the ride perfect but I'll get by with what's on there for now.
What are you getting for MPG in the sports mode? Just curious.

I will have to revisit this. I did not get the same feelings as you did when moving from Normal to Sport mode.
Maybe the 1958 is differant in that department than the FE.

Last edited:
I will have to play around with the different modes, the short road trip i just went on i was in normal mode the whole time. I played around in sport mode for a tiny bit when I first got her. I have yet to even go into Econ mode.

We're at 19.1 since i got it hasn't changed. Only been on the highway a couple days. I wish the steering was even tighter.

I will have to revisit this. I did not get the same feelings as you did when moving from Normal to Sport mode.
Maybe the 1958 is differant in that department than the FE.

I found that you don't notice it at low speeds so much but above 30 it's very appreciable. I would think it's the same on the 1958.

Same experience here, LCLC. Sport mode tightens the steering at speed and is confidence-inspiring. I like sport mode as well, but I'm only there when I'm feeling frisky.

I've only had my FE for 4 days and staying in ECO mode for now. In my mind maybe this is good during the break-in period. Even if it doesn't matter it leaves me something to look forward to 😂. I did try sport for a few minutes and the improvement is night and day. Of note, I find going uphill into my driveway in ECO seems to be a slight struggle. I have to really accelerate - it's interesting. Doing the same driveway in Normal is completely different - very easy not much gas needed. It's fun getting used to this truck. Loving it so far.

I tried ECO mode for a while but didn't notice any meaningful difference in power or fuel economy -- I did notice a big (negative) difference in A/C performance though, enough to make me give up on it and just use Normal.

Haven't really tried Sport yet. What's the mileage hit?

I haven't read the manual. Strictly observation, steering gets tighter at speed, and the electric motor is not so eager to cut itself off from the equation when accelerating, resulting in some really smooth shifts, particularly in spirited driving. Regen a is also more aggressive in Sport

What does the manual claim that Sport mode does?
p.435-436
Eco drive mode
Helps the driver accelerate in an eco-friendly manner and improve fuel economy through moderate throttle characteristics and by controlling the
operation of the air conditioning system (heating/cooling)

Sport mode
Controls the hybrid system to provide quick, powerful acceleration.
This mode is suitable for when agile driving response is desired, such as
when driving on roads with many curves.

For me, it dosent tell me much. I would like to know more about what is happening behind the scenes.

Controls the hybrid system to provide quick, powerful acceleration.

My interpretation of this is they are telling us it is using the battery more aggressively to increase torque and responsiveness. This might be why some people are reporting better gas mileage while in Sport mode.

I noticed the same thing… I do feel like my MPG lost a couple- but it’s a better experience

High praise indeed coming from a Macan GTS. I’ve driven very little in sport I need to check it out. BTW I put the K03’s on and it’s tighter, firmer, more precise a completely different feel.

While city driving going from sport to normal results in an upshift to the next higher gear for me. Unlikely that a lower gear/higher rpm in sport helps mpg, so anyone seeing better mileage in sport must be driving differently in sport?

I tried ECO mode for a while but didn't notice any meaningful difference in power or fuel economy -- I did notice a big (negative) difference in A/C performance though, enough to make me give up on it and just use Normal.

Haven't really tried Sport yet. What's the mileage hit?
Miss Daisy has not been out of ECO mode since she followed me home. In the hot and humid south, I have never suffered due to lack of A/C performance. 🤔

Last edited:
Back