Semi-nude Cargo Area

BigMF

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
May 29, 2024
Media
Nashville, TN
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser Premium, 2011 Lexus LX570 (Retired)
In my quest to build the cargo platform, I took all the "floor" trim pieces out. Below are a few images of what the cargo area and battery.

1723824878988.png

1723824905924.png

1723824943573.png

Would be nice it Toyota could find somewhere else to put the battery, but on the other hand it's nice to have everything safely inside the cabin. And I do like my storage compartments!

Man you'd better be careful, there are lots of people posting on the forum that the floor can only take 120lbs........lol

Your photo proves they're as wrong as wrong can get.....LOL
Could be wrong, but I believe the 120 lbs. caution is for the area over the recess. This is understandable, and could easily be solved with plywood.

Could be wrong, but I believe the 120 lbs. caution is for the area over the recess. This is understandable, and could easily be solved with plywood.
You are correct.......... a bit of humor on my part.

Pretty sure he has no intention of doing that, just looking for solid mounting points......

looks like it is a more or less straight forward task to have the battery swapped out in 8-10 years from now for the ones who want the LC to run for 15 or more years. I don't understand why they didn't move the battery all the way towards the rear seat and make the easy to access cargo cubby at the rear hatch twice as large. The cubby right behind the rear seats is not as easy to access. I guess it might have to do with mounting points for the the third row that would be there.
Also, is there any chance that recaro comes up with an aftermarket rear seat solution that folds flat instead of tumbling? Would be expensive but for a fully flat cargo space I could imagine it's worth it.

Thank you for sharing. Where in these pictures is the car battery? Is it showing and I am missing it?
It's behind the pink translucent plastic you see in the pictures. That is attached and loosely draped over the positive terminal of the battery.

My 2 cents would be that blocking or affecting the cooling could result in premature failure of the battery.

Pretty sure he has no intention of doing that, just looking for solid mounting points......
@EOD Guy is correct. I was looking for mounting points. Additionally, I replaced the OEM cover over the battery with 1/2" plywood for a temporary platform. I have a trip coming up in September and I needed something to attach my frdige slide to as well as strap cargo to.

Here's a picture of the finished temporary product.

1724636117521.png

I used the two holes that were prexisting from the original cargo tiedowns (M6 Bolt) and then drilled and attached 2 rivnuts in the metal plate covering the battery. That top plate is about 3/4" above another metal plate that incases the battery components themselves. Additionally, the cooling vents for the battery are on the fronts of the wheel humps near the back doors.

I'm going to add more pictures and info in a seperate thread and/or my build thread.

Thanks for posting...interesting to know how the hybrid battery is mounted.

Does anyone know how much that battery pack weighs?

It's behind the pink translucent plastic you see in the pictures. That is attached and loosely draped over the positive terminal of the battery.
So it's on the rear side area? When everybody was saying it was in the back I thought it was under the platform near the hybrid battery. I feel relieved it's much easier to get to than I thought.. thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240825_211230_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240825_211230_Gallery.jpg
    841.7 KB · Views: 57
Sure am happy Toyota use a NiMH battery vs Li-Ion.
Why? The right chemistry Lithium battery is superior in almost every way: lighter, longer lasting, faster charging, higher current delivery, higher current charging, more stable voltage, deeper discharge, etc. For the same capacity/size/weight specs we could either have a true plug-in hybrid or a bigger electric motor for faster acceleration or a house battery etc. Or just make it smaller for lighter weight and no battery bump in the cargo area... and

I'm NOT an expert here but I think the NiMH batteries perform better in temperature extremes and have a longer history (think "known commodity/reliability") of being used by Toyota. Also, some plug-in's can warm the battery while it's plugged in/charging so there is no issue with a cold battery. However, most of those plug-in's are not intended to be used in extreme locations where there is no plug available.

Back