Rock Slider Steps

Marinna

đź“› Founding Member
Jun 18, 2024
Media
California
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
Has anybody tried any aftermarket steps that is mounted on the stock rock sliders on FE? I wonder is there any good recommendations and real world user experience?

You might run into archetype racing on your online search. The company advertises modular steps for the rock rails but the company is fraudulent. Many of us here have cases against them.

You might run into archetype racing on your online search. The company advertises modular steps for the rock rails but the company is fraudulent. Many of us here have cases against them.
I was reading that thread, sorry to see it happening. I do think the guy have a cool design at least in his rendering. Not sure he would choose to scam people rather than actually go through it and actually make the steps.

I think it's just a matter of time some quality step will come out. If not no big deal neither as it is not absolutely required

I liked the idea of modular step and was looking forward to hearing how archetype design worked in the real world, but that was unfortunate..

I recently got a rock slider since I liked the look better than the running board but soon realized that grab handle was getting extra workout and it was not a good substitute for running board.

So, until I can find a decent modular step, I’m using them in “running board’ish” way by moving them farther out so there is bit more rail to step on. Still can’t put full foot on it but now at least I can side step on it enough that I get a decent footing and also applied a strip of skateboard tape which helps.

I didn’t want to modify them nor the body/frame so tried stacking multiple ¼” spacers to see how far I can space it out and found that 1” is about most I can get before the rear bracket of the slider was hitting the rocker panel. I did have to remove rearmost mounting bolt for the running board on the driver side but other than that, it was a simple bolt in.

With the spacers, slider is only held in place with 3 brackets (6 bolts) and frontmost mounting point is hanging in space so I’ll have to make some adapter plate to secure that later. Meanwhile it’s stiff enough to be used as running board and look hasn’t changed. Not really functional as rock slider but looks good and I can get my foot on it.

I really am still on the fence to buy a rock rail or not. For me it’s just aesthetics. I really like the clean look with nothing there to be honest. Plus some designs look really cool others seem way too bulky. One thing I really don’t like and it’s been mentioned somewhere else is the Westcott Design one. With their setup you have to drill into the frame to mount them, thats a huge no go for me.

I really am still on the fence to buy a rock rail or not. For me it’s just aesthetics. I really like the clean look with nothing there to be honest. Plus some designs look really cool others seem way too bulky. One thing I really don’t like and it’s been mentioned somewhere else is the Westcott Design one. With their setup you have to drill into the frame to mount them, thats a huge no go for me.
Thanks for pointing that out. I saw true bolt on in the description and ordered them. Did not realize drilling was required. Next time I will watch the install video.

Thanks for pointing that out. I saw true bolt on in the description and ordered them. Did not realize drilling was required. Next time I will watch the install video.
No problem glad I could help. Yeah I am just not a fan of messing with the frame on anything to be honest.

Greenlane has rock sliders. They don't look as strong as factory ones for actual rock sliding (happy to be corrected here), but they look to be good for steps and offer some parking lot ding protection. I'm looking for some steps for the OEM ones or some more options...

The web site NYTOP.com has a set that doesn’t look to bad. I know I’m going to hold off for now and see what comes out. We should see some new ones coming out, hopefully, soon.

Greenlane has rock sliders. They don't look as strong as factory ones for actual rock sliding (happy to be corrected here), but they look to be good for steps and offer some parking lot ding protection. I'm looking for some steps for the OEM ones or some more options...
I second this, I really like the Greenlane design which provides both protection and a step. They should provide reasonable protection from rocks, they just say don't use them to jack up the truck. I'm not sure if the factory ones can be used for that either. That's fine for my purposes, I don't go rock crawling, I just want some protection. For real rock crawling, steel is better simply because it slides over rocks better.

Back