'Pizza Cutter' thoughts for my Premie.

beammeup

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Aug 3, 2024
Media
North Shore of Lake Superior
Vehicles
2024 LC Premie - "Clark"
Tall and thins have worked for me in northern MN winters, especially with the "Lake Enhanced" snowfalls. I have already purchased a full set of stock 18 x 7.5" wheels to replace the 20" wheels I was forced to buy. These tires/wheels will be my normal, daily drivers.

My thought is to get an additional set of 18 x 7" (1958 edition) wheels and then mount some 'Pizza Cutter' tires. Thoughts? Size recommendations?

Cheers!

Following this and I hope somebody has the resources to try out narrower and taller tires. Also, maybe the spare location will be a little nicer to a narrower tire? I really enjoyed this video that discusses the topic:

I just placed an order for my LC, so it'll be a bit of a wait. I'll be going with a tall skinny tire. Likely the toyo at3 34x10.5x17 as it's pretty light at 55#, sounds like they truly measure at 33.5 tall. There's always the Mickey Thompson 255/85r17 which measures at 34.5 tall. They're heavy at 66# tho. I'll probably put a coilover lift on once they're out, but set it as low as possible. 33.5 tall won't fill out the wheel wells great with 2.5" lift.

Really wanted to run pizza cutters but there's very little choice right now for 18s. Tire manufacturers think off-roaders only run 16s and 17s, and only heavy duty pickups run 18s. All the off-road tire options for 18s are either street-construction SLs or heavy E-load tires, and the latter really diminish the ride, fuel economy, and transmission programming, but at least they'll hold up to abuse.

Best bet for the J250 platform might be to pick up something like a set of fourth-gen Tacoma steelies in 17" and add on some 255/80R17s. That gets you up to 33", and there are some solid tire choices out there that have been well-vetted by the 5th-gen 4Runner community.

I think the 20" wheels are fine for snow tires if you never air down in winter.

I ended up with 285 on 17 inch wheels because I wanted C rated tires. I would have been fine with 265 but no "C". 7" rims have limited tire choices, plus when I looked at the 1958 takeoffs I could not buy 5. Look at the Method Racing Wheels currently on sale. They have a few 7.5" and 8" rims for our vehicle, although most are 8.5".

I would have ordered the bead grip methods had I been willing to wait. I got 17 x 8 standard. Be aware that the method offset is less than Toyota.

Back