New to Towing Anything…

Midwest Duo

📛 Founding Member
Sep 14, 2024
Norcal
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser (LC)
We just bought our 2024 Land Cruiser (LC). We have never towed. Ever. Do we need multiple ball mounts? Multiple trailer balls? I’m also not seeing anything, cable wise, in my new LC. Wondering if they didn’t give me the wiring harness(?).

Someday we aspire to pull a trailer we have our eye on that weighs 3300 lbs dry weight. I believe it’s tongue weight is about 325 lbs.

Sorry for the newbie questions…

You don’t need multiple trailer balls if you have only one trailer to pull. The ball needs to match the tongue on the trailer. 2” ball is one of the more common sizes.
Look to the left of your receiver hitch, there are two locations for the lights to plug into. If the trailer lights don’t plug in directly, you’ll need an adapter. The area on the truck to plug into are covered with flaps to keep out the elements. The flaps are hinged.
Depending on the height of your trailer, you may need a drop hitch to level off the trailer to have the appropriate tongue weight. Most of this is probably explained in the manual, if not a search on line will provide adequate explanation.
Give yourself some extra room to stop, you’ll be 50% heavier than without the trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_2955.jpeg
    IMG_2955.jpeg
    529.6 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: MJE
I use this type. Nothing worse than thinking you have the correct size ball and then find out you don't. The ball swaps out in a matter of seconds. 1,7/8" and 2" are the more common sizes.

1726398781767.png

I've been towing some sort of thing for many years now! boats, campers, cargo, utility, goose necks... I even tow my truck with all 4 wheels on the ground behind the RV. Here are a couple of tips to keep you safe.

• It's not a race, traveling at the speed limit or slightly under is perfectly fine. Just because you can do 80 doesn't mean you have to.
  • Practice backing up as much as you can, find a large empty parking lot and setup some cones.
  • Load leveling hitch or Friction bars for campers or enclosed trailers.
    • When a tractor trailer, bus or any larger vehicle passes you it has a suction effect on your trailer pulling it slightly towards the passing vehicle. This can be disconcerting but friction or anti sway bars really help minimize the effect.
  • leave extra gap Infront of you for extra braking distance.
  • People will generally not want to be behind any sort of camper so be prepared to be passed and cut off A LOT.
  • Traveling in the right lane on a freeway while passing an on ramp, pay attention to the traffic entering the freeway. I usually merge to the lane to the left if space permits. I've observed people only see your tow vehicle and not the trailer so if they are merging into your lane they will either cut you off or have to hard brake because surprise there's a trailer there.
  • A wireless backup camera is very handy and usually quite inexpensive.
  • Tire Minder makes a great remote TPMS for trailers, knowing your tire pressure and internal temperature is very handy as well.
  • Most importantly don't stress.

Thanks all for your advice/responses.

When we got it home yesterday I looked in the back and only saw the hitch and cotter pin, nothing else. I guess we just need to buy the ball mount kit (and balls).

Our plan is to buy some cones, rent a small U-Haul trailer and find a parking lot. Confident we’ll sort it out. Glad this forum exists.

Thanks all for your advice/responses.

When we got it home yesterday I looked in the back and only saw the hitch and cotter pin, nothing else. I guess we just need to buy the ball mount kit (and balls).

Our plan is to buy some cones, rent a small U-Haul trailer and find a parking lot. Confident we’ll sort it out. Glad this forum exists.
Just know this............... The shorter the trailer the harder it will be to keep straight when backing up. So learn how to determine where the trailer is, how much steering input to get the trailer to START moving in the direction you want it to go then turn the steering wheel the opposite direction to "follow" that direction. It's impossible to teach anyone to back a trailer via internet so practice is a must.

My suggestion is to get some practice backing the trailer in a long arch vs trying to back into a defined space to get used to steering inputs and how the trailer reacts to them. Once you get the trailer to do what you want in an arch, then try and back into a defined space. Have a defined set of verbal instruction between you and your ground guide for the direction the rear of the trailer needs to go, not "left" or "right" but "passenger" and "driver" or point in the desired direction. As the driver, you will need to be the one to figure out which way to turn the steering wheel to get the trailer to go in the right direction. I know that may sound silly, but tempers rise when guides give unclear directions and it's your 2 millionth try......... just say'in

Last edited:
...Have a defined set of verbal instruction between you and your ground guide for the direction the rear of the trailer needs to go, not "left" or "right" but "passenger" and "driver" or point in the desired direction. As the driver, you will need to be the one to figure out which way to turn the steering wheel to get the trailer to go in the right direction. I know that may sound silly, but tempers rise when guides give unclear directions and it's your 2 millionth try......... just say'in
Many sit around campgrounds and have a beer over watching a couple try and get a trailer into a tight spot. Even funnier if someone else tries to 'help'.

Just know this............... The shorter the trailer the harder it will be to keep straight when backing up. So learn how to determine where the trailer is, how much steering input to get the trailer to START moving in the direction you want it to go then turn the steering wheel the opposite direction to "follow" that direction. It's impossible to teach anyone to back a trailer via internet so practice is a must.

My suggestion is to get some practice backing the trailer in a long arch vs trying to back into a defined space to get used to steering inputs and how the trailer reacts to them. Once you get the trailer to do what you want in an arch, then try and back into a defined space. Have a defined set of verbal instruction between you and your ground guide for the direction the rear of the trailer needs to go, not "left" or "right" but "passenger" and "driver" or point in the desired direction. As the driver, you will need to be the one to figure out which way to turn the steering wheel to get the trailer to go in the right direction. I know that may sound silly, but tempers rise when guides give unclear directions and it's your 2 millionth try......... just say'in
Oh I get it. My wife and I will definitely need to take deep breaths! Thanks!

If your wife is helping to guide you backing up, let her know that if she can't see your eyes/face in the mirror, then you can't see her.

Back