My Buying Experience/First Impressions

ChillLC

📛 Founding Member
Jun 21, 2024
California
FWIW, here is a brief summary of my buying experience and initial likes/dislikes after 50 miles:

1. Monday: Decided on LC over waiting on a 2025 4Runner. Test drove a 1958 that day. Thumbs up. Used the Toyota site to build my ideal vehicle and search inventory in 500 mile radius (Northern California). Call to fourth dealer yielded unspoken-for unit with not too many unwanted options, 40 miles away. Tuesday: deposit down, vehicle processing at Benicia Port. Thursday: processing complete. Friday night: LC delivered to dealer (Vallejo, 10 miles from Benicia). Saturday morning: test drive and purchase.
2. I went ahead and paid the +$5k ransom (good luck finding an MSRP deal on an actual vehicle in this area) with the thinking that mark-ups will be around for awhile and I need a rig by the end of the summer when I am giving my 4Runner to my son as a wedding present.
3. Dealer experience was exceptional... not a single DIO, no pressure to buy any add-ons. Highly recommend Toyota of Vallejo.

Vehicle specs: LC Trim, Meteor/Black, Premium Pkg, 20 inch wheels (not desired), cable pkg (ridiculous), ball mount (not needed), cargo mat and net (wanted), door edge guard (nice), Coin holder (total waste). MSRP $69.714K

First Impressions after 50 mi drive home:

1. It's like driving my 4Runner but with a lot more get up and go. Definitely know you are driving a 4-cylinder though... just has that feel and sound. Cabin quieter than 4Runner, much more tech of course. Not a luxury feel, which is fine by me... not a Lexus guy.

A few dislikes:
1. Cool Box - what a POS gimmick that renders the center console space almost unusable. As soon as someone posts instructions for removing it, that is going - maybe trade with some 1958er who wants it. Even after it is gone, there is far less storage space around the driver and passenger than I would like.
2. Tumbling rear seats. Much prefer the 4Runner traditional fold down approach. Adding this with the "hybrid hump" where the batteries have been fastened to the top of the cargo deck means you have a very uneven cargo space with lots of ups and downs. And you cannot easily sit on the bumper with the rear hatch open.
3. 20 inch wheels with 60R "all weather" tires. Would much prefer 18's with 70R Falken Wildpeaks like on my 4R.
4. The price. Even without the markup, you may get more vehicle for this money in the form of a Tundra, Sequoia or TRD Pro 4R. I feel like I paid about $10K for the LC badge.
No vehicle is perfect and these issues were not showstoppers for me (obviously)

The Likes that more than offset those downsides:
1. Styling - much prefer over the new 4Runner. Seems classier and more refined with a nod to LC history. Fits me (60+ years old) better according to my wife!
2. The tech - customizable dash screens, cameras, ability to turn off most nanny-car features,
3. Comfort/size - fits me at 6-2 easily with tons of headroom, legroom in rear.
4. Power rear lift gate - why this was not on recent 4R's I don't know.
5. Head-up display - did not know I was going to like this so much! I set it to display only speed and really like not having to look down.
6. Engine and powertrain - still more to experience here, but the 8-speed is a great improvement. Plenty of torque at low speed and high.

I'll stop here... I doubt anyone has read this far anyway. But if you have, cheers to you!

20240622_153510-EDIT.jpg

FWIW, here is a brief summary of my buying experience and initial likes/dislikes after 50 miles:

1. Monday: Decided on LC over waiting on a 2025 4Runner. Test drove a 1958 that day. Thumbs up. Used the Toyota site to build my ideal vehicle and search inventory in 500 mile radius (Northern California). Call to fourth dealer yielded unspoken-for unit with not too many unwanted options, 40 miles away. Tuesday: deposit down, vehicle processing at Benicia Port. Thursday: processing complete. Friday night: LC delivered to dealer (Vallejo, 10 miles from Benicia). Saturday morning: test drive and purchase.
2. I went ahead and paid the +$5k ransom (good luck finding an MSRP deal on an actual vehicle in this area) with the thinking that mark-ups will be around for awhile and I need a rig by the end of the summer when I am giving my 4Runner to my son as a wedding present.
3. Dealer experience was exceptional... not a single DIO, no pressure to buy any add-ons. Highly recommend Toyota of Vallejo.

Vehicle specs: LC Trim, Meteor/Black, Premium Pkg, 20 inch wheels (not desired), cable pkg (ridiculous), ball mount (not needed), cargo mat and net (wanted), door edge guard (nice), Coin holder (total waste). MSRP $69.714K

1. It's like driving my 4Runner but with a lot more get up and go. Definitely know you are driving a 4-cylinder though... just has that feel and sound. Cabin quieter than 4Runner, much more tech of course. Not a luxury feel, which is fine by me... not a Lexus guy.

A few dislikes:
1. Cool Box - what a POS gimmick that renders the center console space almost unusable. As soon as someone posts instructions for removing it, that is going - maybe trade with some 1958er who wants it. Even after it is gone, there is far less storage space around the driver and passenger than I would like.
2. Tumbling rear seats. Much prefer the 4Runner traditional fold down approach. Adding this with the "hybrid hump" where the batteries have been fastened to the top of the cargo deck means you have a very uneven cargo space with lots of ups and downs. And you cannot easily sit on the bumper with the rear hatch open.
3. 20 inch wheels with 60R "all weather" tires. Would much prefer 18's with 70R Falken Wildpeaks like on my 4R.
4. The price. Even without the markup, you may get more vehicle for this money in the form of a Tundra, Sequoia or TRD Pro 4R. I feel like I paid about $10K for the LC badge.

1. Styling - much prefer over the new 4Runner. Seems classier and more refined with a nod to LC history. Fits me (60+ years old) better according to my wife!
2. The tech - customizable dash screens, cameras, ability to turn off most nanny-car features,
5. Head-up display - did not know I was going to like this so much! I set it to display only speed and really like not having to look down.
6. Engine and powertrain - still more to experience here, but the 8-speed is a great improvement. Plenty of torque at low speed and high.

I'll stop here... I doubt anyone has read this far anyway. But if you have, cheers to you!

View attachment 3280
Interested in your take not liking the 20 inch wheels. I get maybe not as good off-road but look sharper to me. Thanks for supplying your thoughts.

A few dislikes:

View attachment 3280
Your face looks so familiar…. 😂

Your face looks so familiar…. 😂
Thanks for the pik - been wondering what the 20” wheel/tire looks like - that may be part of the package on mine

A few dislikes:

View attachment 3280
All good points. The 4 cyl thing doesn’t bother me really, it doesn’t have the thrum my old V8 did but it performs fine.

The things I would have done differently are the hitch (really feels like they didn’t think about that bit) and the cool box (which yeah, would have rather had the storage space, I won’t ever use a cool box because if i needed one I would throw the yeti/arctic in the back). The slight increase for the battery doesn’t bother me really — although when combined with the giant diaper hitch it’s a pain when you load something heavy in there (I had to install a new toilet, getting it from the cart into the back is no mean feat on its own given the weight, but doing it without breaking the plastic hitch diaper was a real pain in the butt). I don’t think the increased storage deck height is any heigher than the tailgate on my truck, so I am used to that.

Interested in your take not liking the 20 inch wheels. I get maybe not as good off-road but look sharper to me. Thanks for supplying your thoughts.
I prefer the look of more rugged, taller tires on smaller rims. I think it is just a matter of taste. Here is a picture of my 4Runner with a look I like (color rendering of lunar rock is off). Having said that, I will be taking it to a tire shop to discuss rugged tires that would fit the 20 inch rims, as I do like the look of these rims.

20230211_123430.jpg

I prefer the look of more rugged, taller tires on smaller rims. I think it is just a matter of taste. Here is a picture of my 4Runner with a look I like (color rendering of lunar rock is off). Having said that, I will be taking it to a tire shop to discuss rugged tires that would fit the 20 inch rims, as I do like the look of these rims.

View attachment 3294
Nice looking truck. I ordered LC edition with 20 inch wheels. Interested to see your new tires once added. I might do same. Would want some that aren’t too noisy as I will primarily be on the road. Thanks

My list of mods to be done:
1. Jack the cool box as soon as I can
2. Tires, possibly rims
3. Full length roof rack as soon as Sherpa has one (need for hauling plywood, lumber, ladders, etc.)
4. Rear seat cover (protect from granddaughters)
5. Remove dirt-and-wax-collecting Imax emblem from back.
6. Possibly paint black or wrap body-color (silver?) bumper panels front and back. Don't understand why Toyota thinks this is a good look. Maybe replace with black ones if available.

20240623_124023.jpg

Also, I took the ugly hitch diaper off and put on the 1/2 one they give and I think it looks better... more like a truck.

Front view. I may be in the minority that dislikes the round headlights. Seems false retro and too much like Bronco. Rectangulars look good to my eye and work well,

ps... CA makes us ruin our front bumpers with ugly license plates :mad:

20240623_125046-EDIT.jpg

Front view. I may be in the minority that dislikes the round headlights. Seems false retro and too much like Bronco. Rectangulars look good to my eye and work well,

ps... CA makes us ruin our front bumpers with ugly license plates :mad:

View attachment 3299
I like the square ones as well - nice 👍🏻

depends on the color. If I got heritage blue it would have to be square heaadlights which is what I was originally going for. But I decided on trail dust so had to be round headlights

View attachment 3294
It’s not just a matter of taste! The 18 inch wheels give you more tire sidewall to absorb unforeseen rock etc hits that can lead to a total tire failure on trail. Combine the 18 or 17 with appropriate tires and you are much more likely to avoid a wheel change in usually uneven inclined difficult circumstances possibly snow/ice with hidden obstacles. Another benefit is the added protection for your wheels.

Great write up. Thanks for sharing. I agree with you on the headlights. I think the rectangular one fit the shape of the vehicle better. But we are in the minority.

@ChillLC Got my LC trim from Toyota 101 (Redwood City) at MSRP, there are a select few dealers in the Bay Area that sell only at MSRP. There was a list floating around recently on this forum so highly recommend other folks in NorCal check it out before paying the ransom fees ;)

My list of mods to be done:
1. Jack the cool box as soon as I can
2. Tires, possibly rims
3. Full length roof rack as soon as Sherpa has one (need for hauling plywood, lumber, ladders, etc.)
4. Rear seat cover (protect from granddaughters)
5. Remove dirt-and-wax-collecting Imax emblem from back.
6. Possibly paint black or wrap body-color (silver?) bumper panels front and back. Don't understand why Toyota thinks this is a good look. Maybe replace with black ones if available.

View attachment 3297

Also, I took the ugly hitch diaper off and put on the 1/2 one they give and I think it looks better... more like a truck.
If i get one, removing the coolbox will be my first task!

Back