MY 1999 LAND CRUISER VERSUS MY 2024 LC FE. WHAT I DON’T LIKE….

Dr. M

📛 Founding Member
Aug 12, 2023
Media
Minnesota
Vehicles
Genesis GV80 Hyundai Tucson PHEV
Just a couple of things I have noticed in the 10 days I have had my LC FE compared to the 1999 Land Cruiser that I drove for 17 years. One, the glove box in the new truck feels very lightweight and therefore cheap compared to my 1999 LC. There is not enough storage in the 2024, upfront compared to the 1999. Much of this is due to the Cool Box, but, that doesn’t explain all of the deficit. The doors feel lighter and less solid when I close them, compared to my 1999. I miss the double sun visor that my 1999 had. The new one has the extendable visor, but, that isn’t as good as the double visor in my 1999. I miss the thumb notches in my 1999 steering wheel. The 2024 has a smooth wheel above the midpoint. I miss the larger windshield that my 1999 had. Less upright, and better visibility. I miss the gas struts on the hood from the 1999.

I don’t miss the V8. The FE has plenty of torque for me. I don’t miss 13MPG. I don’t miss the less advanced off road capabilities. The new tech for off-road is impressive. I don’t miss the halogen headlights. LED is far better. And, I don’t miss the $98,000.00 price tag. Even though I paid $77,000.00 for the FE, that is still $21K less, 24 years later. Still, I really love my new LC FE. I hope it will last me as long as my 1999 did. Long live the Land Cruiser!!! Dr. M

Last edited:
IMG_2318.png

Attachments

• IMG_2317.png
    IMG_2317.png
    2 MB · Views: 103
Thank you for the write up, Dr. M.

There are always changes with new model introductions. Glad to hear you like the new one,

Your old one is sharp as well. Time to give it to your son on his way to Georgetown!

I agree with your likes and dislikes. I have a 2000 Landcruiser and what I miss in the 24 LC is the split tailgate and the ability to crack open the back panel windows. I sure love my old LC, I drove her for 20 years, but I love my new as well, just differently. Kind of like you love your children equally but different. 🤣
IMG_9729.jpeg

$98k for your 1999? Is that an attempt at an inflation-adjusted price? Are you basing that on the jacked-up prices for 200’s after their production ended?

Just a couple of things I have noticed in the 10 days I have had my LC FE compared to the 1999 Land Cruiser that I drove for 17 years. One, the glove box in the new truck feels very lightweight and therefore cheap compared to my 1999 LC. There is not enough storage in the 2024, upfront compared to the 1999. Much of this is due to the Cool Box, but, that doesn’t explain all of the deficit. The doors feel lighter and less solid when I close them, compared to my 1999. I miss the double sun visor that my 1999 had. The new one has the extendable visor, but, that isn’t as good as the double visor in my 1999. I miss the thumb notches in my 1999 steering wheel. The 2024 has a smooth wheel above the midpoint. I miss the larger windshield that my 1999 had. Less upright, and better visibility. I miss the gas struts on the hood from the 1999.

I don’t miss the V8. The FE has plenty of torque for me. I don’t miss 13MPG. I don’t miss the less advanced off road capabilities. The new tech for off-road is impressive. I don’t miss the halogen headlights. LED is far better. And, I don’t miss the $98,000.00 price tag. Even though I paid $77,000.00 for the FE, that is still $21K less, 24 years later. Still, I really love my new LC FE. I hope it will last me as long as my 1999 did. Long live the Land Cruiser!!! Dr. M
Thanks for including pictures of the 1999. I have lusted for a Land Cruiser for years but it never made sense in the big picture. Now that I'm retired it all just fell into place. I already have 4 trips planned through the end of this year.

Back