Land Cruiser = Prado?

Ry Cizzle

📛 Founding Member
Jun 28, 2024
Media
RVA
Vehicles
2024 Toyota Land Cruiser 1958
There’s seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions on the internet on if the US-based LC is a Prado or not. Are there any mechanical/capability/etc. differences that make one an LC and another a Prado or is it all marketing? There’s some good details on wiki (Toyota Land Cruiser Prado - Wikipedia) but you know, it’s wiki.

Curious for custom license plate reasons :)

Toyota seems to have dropped the Prado name for this generation, calling it the Land Cruiser 250. It’s marketed in some places as the Prado. Regardless of what it’s called in your country, it is the light duty Land Cruiser, which has traditionally been called the Prado, and has significant mechanical differences from the “station wagon” 300 series. Because the latest generation Land Cruisers all share the TNGAF platform, they are more similar than before.

IMG_0201.jpeg

The 250 is a Prado. It is marketed as such in some markets, for example Australia.

I'm okay with that, for some it is a deal breaker. You decide.
Yep, this is what the Prada is now. That’s fine, it’s light duty, which is more than most of us will ever need. The 300 isn’t heavy duty either. The market for heavy duty land cruisers is in the developing world and in Australia (which isn’t the developing world but has some damn rough terrain if you get outside the exurban areas of the big cities). In North America, you have to seek out the kind of terrain where you can even work out the light duty version.

Yes, it's also called a Prado in other parts of the world, so yes it is a "Prado". ¯\(ツ)

Things they could have called the Land Cruiser 250 and I also would not have cared:

1) Prado
2) FJ Cruiser
3) 4Runner
4) 5Runner
5) Sequoia Mini
6) Rav4 Plus
7) Rav5
8) TacoRunner
9) 4Prado

And my personal favorite:
10) iPradoMax

Some folks really get hung up on naming.

But in all seriousness, if they had released this as the new FJ Cruiser i would have probably been even more smitten by it! But you know someone would be upset because "😡😡😡 it's not a real FJ Cruiser!"

Yes, it's also called a Prado in other parts of the world, so yes it is a "Prado". ¯\(ツ)

Things they could have called the Land Cruiser 250 and I also would not have cared:

1) Prado
2) FJ Cruiser
3) 4Runner
4) 5Runner
5) Sequoia Mini
6) Rav4 Plus
7) Rav5
8) TacoRunner
9) 4Prado

And my personal favorite:
10) iPradoMax

Some folks really get hung up on naming.

But in all seriousness, if they had released this as the new FJ Cruiser i would have probably been even more smitten by it! But you know someone would be upset because "😡😡😡 it's not a real FJ Cruiser!"
We all know that is it a Camry cross hybrid.

I call mine a rav 4 pro max.

Would seriously like the part number for the Prado badge from international markets.

The chief engineer who designed the thing begs to differ. Just saying.
Interesting. The video is more about market position, branding and price rather than off road capability.

Its odd they don't sell the 70 series in the U.S. Toyota was traumatized by poor FJ sales and likely don't understand the problem of why it didn't sell. (The FJ was too feminine, the 70 series is not.). Toyota is also mistaken on not selling the Hilux in the U.S. as Maverick sales has now proven.

Land Cruiser 250 (Prado) is a light duty Land Cruiser. It is just as capable as the Land Cruiser 300 which is also built on the same TNGA platform. Obvious differences between the two are overall size, engine size, differential size, and transmission.
(without making a comprehensive list, I know there are other components that are more robust).

I do think this Land Cruiser 250 (Prado) is a departure from previous generations because of how the LC market has shifted over the years. Unfortunately the Prado name still has a stigma attached to it. Maybe the 250 will eventually overcome it. The LC 250 doesn't take anything away from the LC 300/200 series (still the gold standard in 4wd.) However the price point of the 200/300 series has pushed it out of reach for a lot of consumers, where it got lost within the noise of the luxury SUV brands. There are clearly market exceptions in a few areas where the Land Cruiser is almost a part of the cultural landscape.

I look at it this way, taking into account marketing, true capability, etc.

$$$ The Land Cruiser 70 Series is the only Heavy Duty Land Cruiser. It is an absolute beast of a work horse that take whatever punishment you throw at it and keep going. It is made to WORK in all sense of the word.

$$$$ The Land Cruiser 300 series is the ultimate capable Luxury* 4wd. It is large, it is bulletproof, it can go anywhere, and can survive in nearly any climate imaginable. *LC centric markets offer non-luxury versions which is really where the question lies in why that isn't offered in the USA. That's where the voodoo magic of sales numbers, public perception, Lexus, etc discussion takes place.

$$ The Land Cruiser 250 series (Prado in some markets) is a VERY capable light duty 4wd going back to the "spirit" of the Land Cruiser. It is smaller, it is tough, it can go mostly anywhere, "get you there and back safely", and can take a lot of punishment.

That's where I think Toyota has maneuvered the Land Cruiser brand. I don't really think it's a bad thing either. The US market kiiiiind of has the 300 series in the Lexus LX600. So there's that. That kind of tells you what the majority of the US Land Cruiser customers became over the years.

There’s just never going to be a huge market for $100K+ overlanding vehicles. If you price a vehicle that high, your market is primarily people who want luxury. If you make a vehicle luxurious enough for those people, then the people who might beat the hell out of it off-road aren’t super likely to do so.

Land Cruiser 250 (Prado) is a light duty Land Cruiser. It is just as capable as the Land Cruiser 300 which is also built on the same TNGA platform. Obvious differences between the two are overall size, engine size, differential size, and transmission.
(without making a comprehensive list, I know there are other components that are more robust).

I do think this Land Cruiser 250 (Prado) is a departure from previous generations because of how the LC market has shifted over the years. Unfortunately the Prado name still has a stigma attached to it. Maybe the 250 will eventually overcome it. The LC 250 doesn't take anything away from the LC 300/200 series (still the gold standard in 4wd.) However the price point of the 200/300 series has pushed it out of reach for a lot of consumers, where it got lost within the noise of the luxury SUV brands. There are clearly market exceptions in a few areas where the Land Cruiser is almost a part of the cultural landscape.

I look at it this way, taking into account marketing, true capability, etc.

$$$ The Land Cruiser 70 Series is the only Heavy Duty Land Cruiser. It is an absolute beast of a work horse that take whatever punishment you throw at it and keep going. It is made to WORK in all sense of the word.

$$$$ The Land Cruiser 300 series is the ultimate capable Luxury* 4wd. It is large, it is bulletproof, it can go anywhere, and can survive in nearly any climate imaginable. *LC centric markets offer non-luxury versions which is really where the question lies in why that isn't offered in the USA. That's where the voodoo magic of sales numbers, public perception, Lexus, etc discussion takes place.

$$ The Land Cruiser 250 series (Prado in some markets) is a VERY capable light duty 4wd going back to the "spirit" of the Land Cruiser. It is smaller, it is tough, it can go mostly anywhere, "get you there and back safely", and can take a lot of punishment.

That's where I think Toyota has maneuvered the Land Cruiser brand. I don't really think it's a bad thing either. The US market kiiiiind of has the 300 series in the Lexus LX600. So there's that. That kind of tells you what the majority of the US Land Cruiser customers became over the years.
Yeah both 300 and 250 series are light duty, and arguably 250 is more capable since lighter vehicle with shorter wheelbase is more capable (with everything else being equal). 300 series is traditionally called the station wagon version which is larger.

Heavy duty Land Cruiser is the 70 series which is not offered in the US.

1723044182837.png

Yeah both 300 and 250 series are light duty, and arguably 250 is more capable since lighter vehicle with shorter wheelbase is more capable (with everything else being equal). 300 series is traditionally called the station wagon version which is larger.

Heavy duty Land Cruiser is the 70 series which is not offered in the US.

View attachment 7197
Thanks for sharing that. I was trying to find it earlier! I haven't heard the 300 referred to as light duty but yeah I guess it would be. Towing capacity is one of the main thing that separates the two besides all the mechanical.

Forgot to mention (because it wasn't that relevant) that having the 250 beside my FJ62 is really cool, comparing the size and look.

There’s just never going to be a huge market for $100K+ overlanding vehicles. If you price a vehicle that high, your market is primarily people who want luxury. If you make a vehicle luxurious enough for those people, then the people who might beat the hell out of it off-road aren’t super likely to do so.
Yeah this is the argument for Mercedes G-wagon. Insanely capable, and positively reliable. But simply to precious the risk doing serious off-roading with $140k price tag.

Back