Land Cruiser new owner

Problem I'm running into is lack of inventory on the '58.

Buying on faith, without a test drive, is not smart.

Sat in a sold FE and I don't fit (6'4") due to the sun roof. Sat in a sold '58 and I fit fine. Obviously, they wouldn't let me drive it.

I'll likely put money down today on an inbound shipment (VIN issued), with a backout stipulation; if I don't like the drive, no deal.

Rant on: I went through this horseshit with a recent Ford and Subaru order (all blamed on covid/constraints/whatever) ...if there's no vin issued and proof it is actually "in transit" then no deal. I will not order another vehicle, ever. Off the lot or no sale. My new truck sat at the Kentucky Speedway for months, waiting on a chip. IMHO, if you can't build 'em, stop selling them. Don't even allow orders. Consumers are allowing this to continue and are taking the back seat in customer service. Rant off.

They are wanting msrp+ $1500...we'll see.

I'm no longer playing the game. Thus, the LC may not become a reality.

I'm coming from a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2 DR.

Old age and lack of yoga skills are driving the move to something different. Friend has the new 4 door Bronco...pretty BA machine. But the duck and dive maneuver in order to get in the seat is the same as a Wrangler. The seats are comfy, and the ride is cushy compared to the Jeep. Apples to oranges comparison, but, moving on.

Sat in a sold FE and I don't fit (6'4") due to the sun roof. Sat in a sold '58 and I fit fine. Obviously, they wouldn't let me drive it.

I'll likely put money down today on an inbound shipment (VIN issued), with a backout stipulation; if I don't like the drive, no deal.

Rant on: I went through this horseshit with a recent Ford and Subaru order (all blamed on covid/constraints/whatever) ...if there's no vin issued and proof it is actually "in transit" then no deal. I will not order another vehicle, ever. Off the lot or no sale. My new truck sat at the Kentucky Speedway for months, waiting on a chip. IMHO, if you can't build 'em, stop selling them. Don't even allow orders. Consumers are allowing this to continue and are taking the back seat in customer service. Rant off.

Ask them for product add on(s) for the 1500 mark-up.

The process:

They deducted their normal and requested ADM of $5000...sort of. Added a non-negotiable windshield breakage coverage for 5 years/$5000 max payout (3 windshields). Might be some value added in this as State Farm doesn't cover glass in Montana.

So, did I break the promise to self and fish flop and pay over MSRP? Hmmm.....opinions and feedback welcome

Base MSRP $55,950
Port installed P&A $453 (a bunch of rubber mats and door film)

TSRP $57,798.00

Glass coverage +$1039
Dealer admin fees + 499 {what a joke. $500 to fill out a one-page title application and walk it over to the courthouse for DMV action. Of course, DMV can be a challenge on the best of days} ;-)

Out the door-$59,336

I gave them a fully refundable (for any reason, no questions, in writing) deposit to put my name on the vehicle.
First lie and I almost walked over this. But she apologized and I let it go. Vehicle has not shipped yet. Ships in 30-60 days according to the info she is privy to. I do have the VIN.

2024 Land Cruiser 1958
ICE CAP

Moderator...if you wish, move this to purchasing forum. Might be beneficial to some or useless drivel most likely; your call.

Been thinking about waiting for a 2025 to get some more choices. All the LCs coming in seem to be spoken for at this point. No reason to be in a big hurry. I have an LC prem coming in the next few weeks. Will get to test drive it beforehand. Thinking of ditching the 20" wheels I would not have ordered. Ordered is not a option with Toyota these days. Welcome to the forum. Do not pay a markup...

Just an update. Purchased a 1958 through Edmark Toyota in Nampa, ID.

No BS, no additional dealer mark-up, $450 doc fees and a transport permit (I'm out of state). Done everything online. They use DocuSign and deposits are non-refundable. Painless purchase.

Nico was the salesperson. Have not met him of course, but straight shooter on the transaction.

Pick it up next week. Expecting a drama free delivery experience.

The local dealer became difficult on the pricing game, mildly arrogant and condescending. I walked out.

I'll check back in with my impressions. First time I've committed on a vehicle without a test drive. One of life's gambles I guess. Local area dealers (local = 150 mile radius) had nothing I could drive.

$58073 out the door. Cargo mat, door edge film and a cargo net added on window sticker.

Welcome and congrats. You’ll love it. We love our 1958.
BTW: I grew up in Billings and live in Utah now. I also purchased out of state, Idaho.

Raised in the Hamilton/Grantsdale area. Now live 30 miles north of Missoula. Born in Provo.

I have high expectations on this Toyota. Never owned one. Jeeps, Subarus and Ford pickups mostly.

Almost bought a Bronco Wildtrak. Under invoice. Buddy has one and it seems solid. Drove it and reminded me to much of the Wrangler. Time to try something different. Boomer syndrome I guess.

The Subarus have always been bullet proof and reliable. Wife's a big fan...her ride for the most part. Before selling my Rubicon and looking for a replacement, I told her I could just flog her Outback "Wilderness" on my back country trips. Her comment...just replace your Jeep and hands off her subbie.

Short story on the purchase. Contacted a dealer in Denver (reason to visit the kid who lives in Castle Rock) showing a 1958 on the tarmac. Got passed around to 5 different people before I could get an "out the door" price. $5000 additional mark-up. Laughed and told them to pound sound. "But, but, you know they are hot sellers and in short supply." Only to those who are willing to play your pricing games. The Idaho dealer purchase was simple; as it should be. Of course, I haven't been run through their F&I yet, but I'm expecting no issues.

Update:

Purchased a 1958 from Edmark Toyota in Nampa, ID

Paid MSRP...no mark up other than a doc fee of a few c notes.

Nico was my contact. Solid guy. Dealership experience was 5 🌟

Raised in the Hamilton/Grantsdale area. Now live 30 miles north of Missoula. Born in Provo.

I have high expectations on this Toyota. Never owned one. Jeeps, Subarus and Ford pickups mostly.

Almost bought a Bronco Wildtrak. Under invoice. Buddy has one and it seems solid. Drove it and reminded me to much of the Wrangler. Time to try something different. Boomer syndrome I guess.

The Subarus have always been bullet proof and reliable. Wife's a big fan...her ride for the most part. Before selling my Rubicon and looking for a replacement, I told her I could just flog her Outback "Wilderness" on my back country trips. Her comment...just replace your Jeep and hands off her subbie.

Short story on the purchase. Contacted a dealer in Denver (reason to visit the kid who lives in Castle Rock) showing a 1958 on the tarmac. Got passed around to 5 different people before I could get an "out the door" price. $5000 additional mark-up. Laughed and told them to pound sound. "But, but, you know they are hot sellers and in short supply." Only to those who are willing to play your pricing games. The Idaho dealer purchase was simple; as it should be. Of course, I haven't been run through their F&I yet, but I'm expecting no issues.
My daughter lives in Castle Rock and my son just moved to Montana for Grad school after spending a summer in Provo doing research-
Always cool commonality on this forum

Back