Impressions After 6000 Miles

Great photography. Mind me asking what you took the photos with? (sorry I am a camera nerd)
Thanks!
Mike
Thank you for the compliment. I have long been a Canon photographer, but since I bike a lot and also hike, I wanted an excellent but compact-style camera to carry with me, so recently I acquired some Fuji cameras and lenses. Most of the photos here were taken with a XT-5 and a 70-300mm lens which was just great for travel photo where there are animals like bison. I also have a really small XT-30 II which I carry with me on on my bike.

Great photography. Mind me asking what you took the photos with? (sorry I am a camera nerd)
Thanks!
Mike
Well I came back to this thread and thought I had posted a reply to you so apologies. Long story short, I am a long time Canon shooter, but I bike a lot and hike on vacation trips, so I wanted something to carry (all the time) that is lighter and smaller but takes great photo images with the kinds of controls you expect with a professional camera. So I bought into some Fuji cameras over a year ago, specifically an XT-5 and XT-30 II. Most of the photos posted here were taken with the XT-5 and a Fuji 70-300mm lens that I really love. It's small enough to pack into a 2 liter hip pack or small backpack. With the XT-30 II, I can carry it on a hip pack on my bike. That camera also sat right next to me in the Land Cruiser on our trips to National Parks and other scenic areas. I am finding it is becoming almost as indispensable as my Canon.

I 100% agree on the low fuel level warning needed. I did a 1400 mile road trip and almost ran out of gas as I wasn't paying attention. Looked down and 15 miles left to empty...... yikes. No warning. It really needs a low fuel level beep or something. It has everything else that beeps?

I 100% agree on the low fuel level warning needed. I did a 1400 mile road trip and almost ran out of gas as I wasn't paying attention. Looked down and 15 miles left to empty...... yikes. No warning. It really needs a low fuel level beep or something. It has everything else that beeps?
I think low fuel warning shows up after the distance to empty hits zero.

Today I got a low fuel warning at 10 miles…. It was down to 4 miles by the time I reached gas station. Filled tank but it only took 15.5 gallons… I was very surprised by that! It would mean there was still 2 gallons, right?

Today I got a low fuel warning at 10 miles…. It was down to 4 miles by the time I reached gas station. Filled tank but it only took 15.5 gallons… I was very surprised by that! It would mean there was still 2 gallons, right?
Most vehicles have 30-50 miles of range after low fuel light comes on. So about 2 gallons remaining in the fuel tank makes sense.

There’s a silly clickbait video on YouTube right now by a guy reviewing his “it’s not perfect” experience with a Land Cruiser. I won’t link to it because I mention it just to point out that your write up is ten times better.

You point out experiences you’ve had with the vehicle that a person would only have as an owner, and that are less than obvious until you’ve driven the car around.

This guy complains about stuff that would have been obvious to anyone buying the car and he apparently blew by in his rush to buy it. The location of the spare tire makes it challenging to mount a gigantic aftermarket spare without compromising departure angle. The fuel economy isn’t what Toyota said it would be, but after the dude lifted the vehicle and put 35s on it. There are more beeps and boops going on inside than in his old Jeep. No shit.

Well done.

Last edited:
There’s a silly clickbait video on YouTube right now by a guy staring his “it’s not perfect” experience with a Land Cruiser. I won’t link to it because I mention it just to point out that your write up is ten times better.

You point out experiences you’ve had with the vehicle that a person would only have as an owner, and that are less than obvious until you’ve driven the car around.

This guy complains about stuff that would have been obvious to anyone buying the car and he apparently blew by in his rush to buy it. The location of the spare tire makes it challenging to mount a gigantic aftermarket spare without compromising departure angle. The fuel economy isn’t what Toyota said it would be, but after the dude lifted the vehicle and put 35s on it. There are more beeps and boops going on inside than in his old Jeep. No shit.

Well done.
I think I just watched that video yesterday. I just bought a Rig'd Supply Ramble Swing for my bike rack swing out, and I briefly considered putting my spare tire on it in anticipation of someday getting larger tires in the future as well as extra fuel tank carrying space. However, the tires I am thinking about are not for rock crawling. Since he put on really heavy 35-inch tires with multi-ply sidewalls, he might should have considered other options like a new rear bumper or spare tire swing-aways that would solve his problem and perhaps even improve his rear departure angle.

I appreciate your comment, and after thinking about it, went to my original post here and edited to include some additional thoughts about comfort, seating, and driving. Hope this helps people considering or starting out with the J250.

I just bought a Rig'd Supply Ramble Swing for my bike rack swing out
Sorry to derail this thread.. but how do you like that swing adapter? Any specific reason you picked that vs the popular rakattach from 1up? I'm feeling like a swing might be in my future now that I'm running 3 and sometimes 4 bikes on the rack and lowering it for hatch access has become near to entirely impossible.

Sorry to derail this thread.. but how do you like that swing adapter? Any specific reason you picked that vs the popular rakattach from 1up? I'm feeling like a swing might be in my future now that I'm running 3 and sometimes 4 bikes on the rack and lowering it for hatch access has become near to entirely impossible.
Well glad you asked, and I need to post on this hence the link below. I actually did pick the RakAttach and it did not fit which was a surprise! Check the post below for details. I would think with 4 bikes on a rack, a swing out is absolutely essential.

Here is the thread I posted: Bike Racks (1Up Bike Rack) and Swing Aways (Rig'D Supply RambleSwing) and the Land Cruiser hitch

Back