How to remove front air dams?

kdirks

📛 Founding Member
Jun 28, 2024
Media
Austin, TX
Vehicles
24 Land Cruiser Premium
I’ve noticed a few folks have removed the small air dams in front of the front wheels. I think it looks so much better and more capable without them. Can someone describe how to remove them?

Not my photo but it shows the difference with and without.
IMG_0039.jpeg

I took my air dam off this morning. Three screws and one clip per side. Very simple and the LC looks much better with a shaved chin! Phillips head screwdriver and an auto clip removal lever are the only tools you need.

Attachments

• IMG_1927.jpeg
    IMG_1927.jpeg
    550.4 KB · Views: 275
What is the purpose of them besides looking terrible?
Primarily to improve fuel efficiency (0.5 to 2 MPG) and reduce road/wind noise. They also improve high speed stability and engine cooling to some extent.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what these air dams are intended to do?
I was working on my older sisters Saturn many years ago. Her air dam was falling off, so I removed it. Her car immediatly began over heating. I put it back on, with better fasteners, and told her to stop hitting the concrete things when she parks her car. The over heating stopped immediately.

I took my air dam off this morning. Three screws and one clip per side. Very simple and the LC looks much better with a shaved chin! Phillips head screwdriver and an auto clip removal lever are the only tools you need.
Specifically for my 1958, each dam involved 3 screws (removable either with 10mm socket or Phillips head) and 2 clips. Using a flat-head screwdriver, one can gently remove the clips and reuse them.

What is the other piece of plastic circled in blue and how to remove it?

I stole this picture from the skid plate thread and I don't have an FE, but I noticed the extra plastic piece when removing my air dam from my 1958.

Based on pictures posted by other members, it appears that most remove this extra piece from each side when removing the air dams.

Attachments

• IMG_6802.png
    IMG_6802.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 204
What is the other piece of plastic circled in blue and how to remove it?

I stole this picture from the skid plate thread and I don't have an FE, but I noticed the extra plastic piece when removing my air dam from my 1958.

Based on pictures posted by other members, it appears that most remove this extra piece from each side when removing the air dams.
I took those off when I took off the bigger dams as well - mostly because they integrate well with the dams, but were noticeable and a bit ungainly when they were left by themselves.

Each has three clips - two of them are twist clips on either side of the recovery point, that you simply twist 90 degrees and remove (like the clips for the floor mats). The third is inboard and above the recovery point, accessible from the wheel well, and is the same clip as on the bigger air dams. It's a bit trickier to get a flat had in there to pop out the clip so you can remove by hand, at least after I upgraded to a slight larger tire, but once you find the lip and get the right leverage point, they pop right out. No tools needed.

Primarily to improve fuel efficiency (0.5 to 2 MPG) and reduce road/wind noise. They also improve high speed stability and engine cooling to some extent.
I wonder how much of an impact they have on stability? Think it’s at all noticeable at 75-85 mph? I doubt it but it has me thinking.

Landcruiser does 120mph! That seems incredibly fast for a tall and upright, all-time 4WD SUV. :unsure:

Landcruiser does 120mph! That seems incredibly fast for a tall and upright, all-time 4WD SUV. :unsure:
Toyota Austria gives for the 2.8L Diesel with 205 horsepower a max speed of 175km/h. That is 109 mph. Given that the hybrid in the US has 325hp I think 120mph seems reasonable.

Nice tires? Which ones are they? More pics?

Back