How much poke & weight is too much and other suspension wear worries

PhiloEpisteme

đź“› Founding Member
Aug 14, 2024
Ca
Vehicles
LC250
I'm new to Land Cruisers and off roading in general. I picked up an LC250 base model that unfortunately came with 20" rims. I'm looking into picking up a set of 18" wheels and either 265/70r18 or 275/70r18 tires.

I've read online that adding more weight to wheels and tires can expose the suspension and steering components to additional wear. At a high-level, my question is how serious of an issue is this?

Regarding tires, If I opt for the KO3s in 275/70r18 size or the Falkens Wildpeaks in the same size in the E load range, how negatively will the additional weight and width affect my setup in terms of handling and suspension/steering component wear? I'm in California and worried about sharp, volcanic rocks hence my interest in E rated tires. I would happily consider the Falkens in SL if they are sturdy enough to be reasonably resistant to flats/puncture from very sharp, volcanic rocks out here in CA.

Also, I'm having a hell of a time finding 18x7.5 wheels at 60mm offset to match the stock wheels and minimize poke. I'm not even really able to find a lot of options at 50mm offset in the 7.5" width. Regarding wheels, at what point should I worry about wheel width and tire poke causing wear/tear and performance issues with my setup? For example, if I went with an 8" wide wheel with the 275/70r18 KO3s, when is poke going to be an issue wrt to wear/tear & handling and what offset would I aim for with a setup like that?

Finally, I've read that when switching to different wheel/tire sizes & weights one may want to get a new alignment done. Is this true? And if so, at what point of weight/size difference between the new/old setup is this required? My motivation for asking is that I plan to only run the AT tires when I plan on going off road. I plan to keep my 20" rims and highway tires that came stock with the rig, at least until the tires wear out.

I tried searching around the forums and web and cannot find a good source that clearly answers my questions above. If I've missed an obvious source, feel free to link me there. Thanks again for any advice you folks can offer to someone new to the community.

I'm no expert but you can check the spreadsheet linked in my signature for a few options. The GX has a 50mm offset and Toyota has a few options for the Tacoma and Sequoia with wider wheels and slightly smaller offsets to compensate, several folks have been getting those. The Tacoma wheels aren't very expensive (as OEM wheels go...).

In terms of tires it sounds like a good reason for E load tires. The KO3's are a good choice. The new Duratrac RT's are Kevlar and 3 ply sidewall. The Falken sidewalls vary with size and set to have a puzzling array of options, but mostly 2 ply sidewalls with some partial sidewall reinforcement in some sizes.

MFGNamePNDia (in)Width (in)Offset (mm)Center bore (mm)
ToyotaStock 1958 trim?1877095.1
ToyotaStock LC/FE trim42611-60M70 (Gray) ?187.56095.1
ToyotaUpgrade 20" wheel?207.56095.1
LexusGX550 Wheel?187.55095.1
ToyotaSequoia TRD wheelPT960-34220-2F188.547.595.1
ToyotaTacoma TRD wheelPTR56-35242-F11884595.1

Thanks for the reply @Markarian421. I've seen your spreadsheet, it is very helpful. Several of the options are wider than the stock 7.5" wheels and weigh slightly more. What about my worry around poke and additional wheel/tire weight causing excessive wear on steering/suspension components?

Also, your spreadsheet seems to suggest that KO3 275/70R18s may have some issues, is that still the case?

I guess I’m assuming Toyota wouldn’t make wheels that would cause problems for their vehicles — those or anything with similar offsets shouldn’t be a problem. Zero offset might not be great, and spacers so the tires poke way way out nearly guarantee problems.

I’ll have to check the table, as far as I can recall all 275/70R18 tires work fine. They do hang down slightly more in the spare location, but not a lot. 285/70R18 seems to be the size that starts to cause problems for stock vehicles.

Last edited:
You can probably find some OEM 18” rims someone is looking to sell. I got some from eBay. If you’re new to off roading do some research on narrow vs wide tires in relation to the type of wheelin’ you will be doing. I don’t want to start a debate but I personally like a slightly narrower tire for what I do. Most people go wide for aesthetics.

I should add: at the SEMA event for vendors to measure the LC and GX, a Toyota/Lexus person said these are designed for 33” (slightly larger than stock) and larger tires with no or minimal modifications. I don’t think slightly upsized tires will be an issue.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I should add: at the SEMA event for vendors to measure the LC and GX, a Toyota/Lexus person said these are designed for 33” (slightly larger than stock) and larger tires with no or minimal modifications. I don’t think slightly upsized tires will be an issue.
Did they say anything about the weight difference between SL and E tires?

Also, your spreadsheet seems to suggest that KO3 275/70R18s may have some issues, is that still the case?
Just went back and looked at the table and yeah I was really conservative/cautious in what I put in the table initially before people had Land Cruisers to start trying tires on. I just updated it since I've now seen many reports that 275/70R18's fit and don't rub and no reports of problems.

How much harsher are the E-load tires compared to SL oem ones? I want some 275/70r18, but 99% are E-load rated. We drive mostly highway and city, maybe 5% of the time on dirt roads/mild trails. There are so many differing opinions. It would be nice to hear from fellow owners regarding this topic.

JT

I guess I’m assuming Toyota wouldn’t make wheels that would cause problems for their vehicles — those or anything with similar offsets shouldn’t be a problem. Zero offset might not be great, and spacers so the tires poke way way out nearly guarantee problems.

I’ll have to check the table, as far as I can recall all 275/70R18 tires work fine. They do hang down slightly more in the spare location, but not a lot. 285/70R18 seems to be the size that starts to cause problems for stock vehicles.
Your spreadsheet is so helpful, so thanks for putting that together. I am considering a Westcott collar and leveling it out and adding 285/70R18 Falken Wildpeak AT4, they are C load, but 67 lbs, may go with Toyo...looking at your spreadsheet it looks unlikely I can use the original wheels, have you heard anyone fit 285 on the original wheels?

Your spreadsheet is so helpful, so thanks for putting that together. I am considering a Westcott collar and leveling it out and adding 285/70R18 Falken Wildpeak AT4, they are C load, but 67 lbs, may go with Toyo...looking at your spreadsheet it looks unlikely I can use the original wheels, have you heard anyone fit 285 on the original wheels?
Icon has a video on wheels and larger tires, they suggest a wheel with an offset around 40 is best for upsizing tires (vs. 60 or 70 stock). Icon has one with that offset, Method 318 and 319's come in that offset, the Toyota Tacoma TRD wheel has a 45 offset. The Icon video says that a 20 offset pokes out too far and you risk running into the fender at flex.

I just put 285/70r18 Toyos on my LCP, and they fit perfectly with no rub, on the '24 Tacoma TRD wheel (45 offset) that @Markarian421 mentioned. Way cheaper than the Tundra BBS wheels (beware the myriad after-market knockoffs; if you aren't paying close to $2k, they're likely not real). The 285 did not fit in the spare compartment, so opted for a 275 there (better than the stock 265).

To guess at one of your questions, I'd think there is a chance that 285/70s could rub on the inside using stock wheels, though I bet 275/70 would likely work (see the Icon video). Icon stated that the +45 offset is probably perfect if you want to fit the largest tire possible with modifying/trimming, etc.

Adding tire width (from stock) is accommodated by decreasing (i.e. making less positive) offset, so that the tire doesn't rub on the inside; increasingly negative offsets also pushes the tire out beyond the fender, which may or may not be wanted (some people think it looks cool, I think it unnecessarily gets my truck dirty).

I just put 285/70r18 Toyos on my LCP, and they fit perfectly with no rub, on the '24 Tacoma TRD wheel (45 offset) that @Markarian421 mentioned. Way cheaper than the Tundra BBS wheels (beware the myriad after-market knockoffs; if you aren't paying close to $2k, they're likely not real). The 285 did not fit in the spare compartment, so opted for a 275 there (better than the stock 265).

To guess at one of your questions, I'd think there is a chance that 285/70s could rub on the inside using stock wheels, though I bet 275/70 would likely work (see the Icon video). Icon stated that the +45 offset is probably perfect if you want to fit the largest tire possible with modifying/trimming, etc.

Adding tire width (from stock) is accommodated by decreasing (i.e. making less positive) offset, so that the tire doesn't rub on the inside; increasingly negative offsets also pushes the tire out beyond the fender, which may or may not be wanted (some people think it looks cool, I think it unnecessarily gets my truck dirty).
Good advice, did you go with Toyo Open Country?

Good advice, did you go with Toyo Open Country?
I did. Probably the most expensive tire out there, but saved around 7 lbs/wheel for the limited options that are out there (for my needs). I'd have gone with a "C" rated tire, but the only real option was 7 lbs heavier (Falken AT4W, oddly one pound heavier than their "E" version).

Back