How are you Closing your Hood?

Watufaka

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Sep 3, 2023
Media
Bay Area
Vehicles
FE Land Cruiser Owner
Are we closing our hoods the old fashion way of lowering it then letting it slam shut?

The LC hoods are pretty heavy, so just wondering if some people have a better method.

Are we closing our hoods the old fashion way of lowering it then letting it slam shut?

The LC hoods are pretty heavy, so just wondering if some people have a better method.
Always close the hood like the frunk on a 911. Set it down gently to the first "click." Then press it down gently and firmly with an open palmed hand. Wipe handprints clean from said hood.
It is strongly recommended one wears athletic tennis shoes with a lug grip for balance and support.

Always close the hood like the frunk on a 911. Set it down gently to the first "click." Then press it down gently and firmly with an open palmed hand. Wipe handprints clean from said hood.
It is strongly recommended one wears athletic tennis shoes with a lug grip for balance and support.
I did that on all my Porsches and the Tesla Model 3. So far, all I've read is the let the gravity slamming method, but really don't like the loud metal sound. I will try this and check if it locks in place.

Drop it. Iโ€™ve done it on every truck iโ€™ve ever owned without a single consequence

Does anyone know if the hood struts from a 4runner will fit our LC hoods?
Sounds like a lot of jury rigging for not much gain. The GX hood may even be a hair longer than the Landcruiser's. I think I'd use the hood prop the two times a year I may open my hood to refill windshield washing fluid. (y)

Sounds like a lot of jury rigging for not much gain. The GX hood may even be a hair longer than the Landcruiser's. I think I'd use the hood prop the two times a year I may open my hood to refill windshield washing fluid. (y)

Remind not to buy any vehicle youโ€™ve ever owned.

Poor LC. Owner wonโ€™t even check the oil once a month.

Different strokes, as they say. I typically execute the first few oil changes on a new yota and after that, its the shop handling that. So checking dipsticks for the entire life of my vehicles is beneath my pay grade. And again, without a single consequence shrug

I think the GX550 has hood struts. Would those work on the LC?
Can confirm they have hood struts. Donโ€™t know if they fit our cruisers. My wife and I are picking up her GX this Saturday. Thatโ€™s when Iโ€™m going to really look at it and see if the mounting points are the same and try to track down part numbers. Iโ€™ll try to keep everyone posted. I want to add the hood struts to my 58 edition.

The only oil I physically check on any machine I own is my Toro lawn mower....maybe once a year. And I don't even mow my own lawn.

Porsche 911's haven't had a dipstick for years. You just turn the key one click and it automatically measures the level with a graph. BMW has been without dipsticks for many years as well.

To be fair, itโ€™s easier to do on a Porsche since your weight is above the frunk lid and you can use the crest as a push point.

To be fair, itโ€™s easier to do on a Porsche since your weight is above the frunk lid and you can use the crest as a push point.
This is true. The Porsche manual recommends only pressing on the crest to close the frunk.
The 911 is quite low to the ground. The Landcruiser, on the other hand, is very high in the air.

This is true. The Porsche manual recommends only pressing on the crest to close the frunk.
The 911 is quite low to the ground. The Landcruiser, on the other hand, is very high in the air.

I tried doing this today. It worked but worried that black piano trim on the hood flexed a little.

The only oil I physically check on any machine I own is my Toro lawn mower....maybe once a year. And I don't even mow my own lawn.

Porsche 911's haven't had a dipstick for years. You just turn the key one click and it automatically measures the level with a graph. BMW has been without dipsticks for many years as well.

Both Porsche and BMW are well known for vehicles that are below average in the reliability and durability department too.

Probably not the best examples. Particularly BMW.

Both Porsche and BMW are well known for vehicles that are below average in the reliability and durability department too.

Probably not the best examples. Particularly BMW.
Completely agree on BMW's poor reliability. I don't buy BMW's any longer.

Porsche 911 with the Flat 6 Boxer engine is absolutely bulletproof. They had an IMS / bearing issue in 2005-2006 on the 997 with the 3.4 (one of which I owned), which was corrected.

My Porsche 911's have been the most reliable vehicles I have owned. Hands down. I have never had anything close to a large issue.

The only issue I have had on my 991 is a PSE Exhaust hanger where the weld snapped. Porsche took care of it under warranty. Nothing else.

You will spend a small fortune on routine maintenance, e.g. tires, brakes, oil changes, interval services, etc. However, that is to be expected.
Nothing even remotely close to the expenses of owning a Ferrari.

Does anyone know if the hood struts from a 4runner will fit our LC hoods?
I was wondering if the Lexus has struts on it. I see holes where they may have installed them. just curious

Back