Glass Info is Etched into OUTSIDE of Windows!

ChillLC

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jun 21, 2024
Media
California
Here is something REALLY bugging me...

On most, but not all, of my windows, the usual glass info is etched into the exterior side of the window. It is extremely noticeable on the more heavily tinted windows, and in the sun, these etched labels positively POP! All four windows on the driver side have this issue, as well as the tailgate window. On the passenger side, only the rear-most side window has it (see picture) while the other three windows all have the etching where is is supposed to be.... ON THE INSIDE! ( you can see in the picture that the interior etching on forward windows does not show. When etched onto the inside surface, it is barely visible from the outside... unlike the reverse.

1. Am I the only one with a LC like this? Can some other folks check their rigs?
2. Would you consider it a manufacturing defect? Should I take it to the dealer?
3. I doubt I have a valid warranty claim. Any ideas on how to diminish the visibility of these labels....maybe squeegee black ink into them?

Help! Once you notice them, you cannot unsee them.

Attachments

• 20240808_105418.jpg
    20240808_105418.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 20240808_105418-EDIT.jpg
    20240808_105418-EDIT.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 135
Black ink would only make them black. Think of it like a rock chip and you get a company like safe lite to fill it with a clear polymer type material. You can't see the chip anymore, except at certain angles because of the reflectivity of the poly. Might contact them to see if they would give it a try....... it'll be costly tho' I estimate $100 per window.

Black ink would only make them black. Think of it like a rock chip and you get a company like safe lite to fill it with a clear polymer type material. You can't see the chip anymore, except at certain angles because of the reflectivity of the poly. Might contact them to see if they would give it a try....... it'll be costly tho' I estimate $100 per window.
I would take black over the bright white they are now! But good suggestion to talk to auto glass folks... have been through 3 windshields in 3 years so am on a first name basis with one. Thx

Here is something REALLY bugging me...

On most, but not all, of my windows, the usual glass info is etched into the exterior side of the window. It is extremely noticeable on the more heavily tinted windows, and in the sun, these etched labels positively POP! All four windows on the driver side have this issue, as well as the tailgate window. On the passenger side, only the rear-most side window has it (see picture) while the other three windows all have the etching where is is supposed to be.... ON THE INSIDE! ( you can see in the picture that the interior etching on forward windows does not show. When etched onto the inside surface, it is barely visible from the outside... unlike the reverse.

1. Am I the only one with a LC like this? Can some other folks check their rigs?
2. Would you consider it a manufacturing defect? Should I take it to the dealer?
3. I doubt I have a valid warranty claim. Any ideas on how to diminish the visibility of these labels....maybe squeegee black ink into them?

Help! Once you notice them, you cannot unsee them.
same here bro....just let it go.

I would take black over the bright white they are now! But good suggestion to talk to auto glass folks... have been through 3 windshields in 3 years so am on a first name basis with one. Thx
Now what you might try, cause it would be removable (if you not sure how ask your wife) is clear fingernail polish and a very tiny paint brush. If you are very, very careful, you may be able to use a single edge razor blade to scrape off any excess. A razorblade will scratch glass if you're not very careful!

You can use acetone to remove any mistakes......LOL

Same on mine - FE with R5 (Tahara) vin :confused:

@ChillLC - I agree that this is a manufacturing defect. Have you decided on whether you will try to black it out somehow?

Same on mine - FE with R5 (Tahara) vin :confused:

@ChillLC - I agree that this is a manufacturing defect. Have you decided on whether you will try to black it out somehow?
The rig is in for PPF and ceramic coating right now. When I get it back next week, I plan to take it to the auto glass shop to discuss.
I was pissed until I noticed my wife's 2011 Lexus has the etching on the outside... so it is something that has been going on for years. But hers is a lot less noticeable.
It may be more noticeable on our LCs due how fresh it is.
Also plan to talk to dealer service department, but I doubt they will see it as a defect.
Still don't understand why some are etched on the inside and others on the outside...on the same vehicle... that kind of inconsistency is not like Toyota!

Looks like this is not unique to Toyota:

Update: I just got my rig back from the detailer after PPF/ceramic treatment and the exterior etching on the windows is far less noticeable. Our guess is that before I took it in (only 200 miles and mostly garaged) the etching was still bright and fresh as the day they did it. Then, when he did his precleaning process, some dust or such got caught in the etching and dulled it. Either way, it is far less distracting than it used to be.

So if anyone else is bothered by this nit on their new rig, rub a little dirt in it and all will be good!

Just noticed this thread and checked my FE (Tahara).

The four panes on the driver's side, the tailgate pane, and the rearmost pane on the passenger side are etched on the outside. The other three panes on the passenger side are etched on the inside.

Of course, those inside etchings, when viewed from the outside, have the lettering reversed (in addition to being less visible) as viewed from the outside.

As posted above, this inconsistency is curious - as well as looking a bit ridiculous. I wonder if the GX550 windows have been treated the same.

Same as my FE (Hino)--received last week--except nowhere near as white as in the OP photos...
Our other vehicle--2010 Infiniti Q50--is the same with its window safety info.

I'm thinking this it's done for manufacturing efficiency, rather than a careless mistake; otherwise, manufacturing would require a different setup for running (stamping) the driver side windows with the required safety glass stamps--and the related and opposite side passenger windows. Two production lines--or two different setups--when you're manufacturing volumes of windows--wouldn't be wise for many reasons, one being cost of manufacture.

Similarly, having machines that could auto-sense the window type (driver side or passenger side) in manufacturing and adjust the "stamp" location (so all stamps are on the inside or all on outside of all windows) would be more complicated, more expensive, and likely be more prone to downtime; however, the "color" of the safety stamp should be relatively consistent across all windows...but I imagine the amount of window tinting on the glass may skew the "color" tone of the stamp(s)...

Note: "stamping" refers to whatever the process is to get the required safety information on the glass... :)

Last edited:
Back