Emergency tire repair options

Pierac

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jun 3, 2024
Media
Arizona
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Wow.... It's been a while since I have had to use tire plugs in an emergency... So much new stuff!

First off... anytime I get a nail or screw stuck in my tire.... I just go to the tire shop for a free patch. (Part of the tire buying package).
However, over the past few years... I have noticed the repairable patch is getting harder to achieve. ie (your nail/screw is 1 inch from the side wall... so can't be patched)... You need a new tire.
I have noticed... it's getting closer to 1.5 inches from the side wall these days. Not a big issue if you don't have an all wheel drive. But my Subaru requires all tires to be replaced if only 1 fails after so many miles... as it causes uneven pull or something on the drive train? Not even sure it's a real thing?

Anyway... I have a bout 5 plugs in my 4 tires... not even sure which one has them any more as it's been years! All because the tire shop said.... we can't patch... too close to the tire's wall. (NOT SAFE)

I,m looking at the nail and thinking the damn patch would have to be 2 inches to overlap the freaking side wall... So I tell them... Thank you... but I'm not buying 4 tires today over a nail that is 1.5 inches from the side wall.... So go and plug my own tire... Some of my plugs are well over 2 years old and holding.

So.... what's new to me.... Here is my old faithful...

What's new....

What would be freaking amazing... If this... actually worked.... Maybe it does... but doubtful!

This is for you pluggers....
I now keep all 3 kits in my car... But have only used the first posted... so sorry as I have no clue if the new kids on the block actually work...? I will have to wait for the next nail... that 3 inches from the side wall that they won't patch to find out!

Last edited:
IMO this is the best on the market

1721383087036.png

Wow.... It's been a while since I have had to use tire plugs in an emergency... So much new stuff!

First off... anytime I get a nail or screw stuck in my tire.... I just go to the tire shop for a free patch. (Part of the tire buying package).
However, over the past few years... I have noticed the repairable patch is getting harder to achieve. ie (your nail/screw is 1 inch from the side wall... so can't be patched)... You need a new tire.
I have noticed... it's getting closer to 1.5 inches from the side wall these days. Not a big issue if you don't have an all wheel drive. But my Subaru requires all tires to be replaced if only 1 fails after so many miles... as it causes uneven pull or something on the drive train? Not even sure it's a real thing?

Anyway... I have a bout 5 plugs in my 4 tires... not even sure which one has them any more as it's been years! All because the tire shop said.... we can't patch... too close to the tire's wall. (NOT SAFE)

I,m looking at the nail and thinking the damn patch would have to be 2 inches to overlap the freaking side wall... So I tell them... Thank you... but I'm not buying 4 tires today over a nail that is 1.5 inches from the side wall.... So go and plug my own tire... Some of my plugs are well over 2 years old and holding.

So.... what's new to me.... Here is my old faithful...

What's new....

What would be freaking amazing... If this... actually worked.... Maybe it does... but doubtful!

This is for you pluggers....
I now keep all 3 kits in my car... But have only used the first posted... so sorry as I have no clue if the new kids on the block actually work...? I will have to wait for the next nail... that 3 inches from the side wall that they won't patch to find out!
Not patching too close to the sidewall is mostly a liability thing. If the plug blows out and causes more damage or an accident, the tire shop could be held responsible. Iโ€™ve plugged my own tires, but most new sets of tires I buy have a tread life or road hazard warranty that is longer than I keep my cars, so if I have a failure, the full set generally gets replaced under warranty

I'm a plugger on anything outside of the road hazard warranty for sure! Done many times, never had a leak or any other problem. Must admit that the old fashioned 1st option is so simple and effective I've never even considered trying the new styles.

I had 4 Blizzak DMV2 winter tires replaced by Costco at just under 4 years. They charged me a pro-rated amount for the one with the nail and covered the other 3. The best part of the story is they charged me about $70 (including some gov fees for recycling etc) and gave me a $100 gift card for buying 4 tires!

Back