Dunlop Grandtrek PT22

Tripod1404

đź“› Founding Member
Jul 22, 2024
Media
WI
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
These are the OEM tires on LC with 20" wheels. They are produced in Japan, and are supposedly designed specifically for land cruiser. Since there is no info or review on these tires (and they are not sold in the US as standalone tires), I opened this thread for people to discuss the on-road, off-road, wet, snow, etc. performance, as well as ride quality and noise.

Basically, if you have anything good or bad to say about the tires, this is the place :).

I want to keep an open mind on these because the idea of spending $1500 on a set of tires when the ones on my truck are brand new doesn’t appeal to me at all.

But my concern is snow performance. I split time between homes in Denver and Vail and find myself on Vail Pass in a storm now and then. These tires do not look like they are designed for snow performance at all, notwithstanding the product description. The tread pattern looks like a low rolling resistance dry pavement design and I don’t see any siping.

I might have to drive mine around a little once I get it in November to find out, but the outlook is not good and there is very little data available.

Last edited:
I replaced the Dunlop’s the 2nd day after i got my LC. Put on toyo at3s

So can’t give any feedback beyond your observation. They seemed like a basic all season maximized for fuel efficiency. I doubt they will be any good in the snow

I did some trails a couple of days ago. Did not air down, ran into some mud and a lot of rocks. The Dunlop sidewalls took some scuffs, but the tires seem to work OK.

I agree with you that they do not appear to be built for deep snow.

I acquired some 18" rims. After powder coating the rims I will be installing the Duratrac RTs that I have ordered. I ran Duratrac tires for over 10 years on two different Jeeps and was very happy. Hoping for continued good experience with the Duratrac RTs.

So can’t give any feedback beyond your observation. They seemed like a basic all season maximized for fuel efficiency. I doubt they will be any good in the snow
Mind sharing what size you went with?

JGB,
I have the same Dunlop 20s. Did you buy the same size Toyo AT3s or did you need to change wheel size or other modification as well? Do you have any rubbing? Thank you for your feedback.

The Dunlops surprisingly have a fairly soft compound and it wouldn’t surprise me if they do okay on winter roads. Like any other all season or all terrain tire they will fall short of a dedicated winter tire such as Michelin ice or blizzak. These studless dedicated winter tires are phenomenal.

Here is a video from Toyota Japan that used stock Dunlop tires. They look surprisingly capable.

Last edited:
Here is a video from Toyota Japan that used stock Dunlop tires. They look surprisingly capable.
They struggled in the mud but obviously they are not a mud terrain tire. If not for the technologically advanced 4wd system of the lc, they would have been stuck. They’ll be okay for the type of off roading I’ll do in a $70k vehicle, and they provide good road manners. To be honest the majority of people swapping them for a bigger, more aggressive tire are doing so purely for aesthetics.

The Dunlops surprisingly have a fairly soft compound and it wouldn’t surprise me if they do okay on winter roads. Like any other all season or all terrain tire they will fall short of a dedicated winter tire such as Michelin ice or blizzak. These studless dedicated winter tires are phenomenal.
Colorado is a weird sell for dedicated snows. Counterintuitively we drive in storms 5 or 6 times a winter but the rest of the time we’re on dry roads or at worst on melt. Same freeze thaw effect that makes our roads so bad. I’d love a snow tire for those few situations but I feel like it would wear out fast on the dry pavement.

Back