Disconnect-able front sway bar SDM requires maintenance?

jironman

đź“› Founding Member
Jul 10, 2024
canada
Hi, new guy here. I know the GX eKDSS will require costly maintenance. What about 2024 disconnect-able front sway bar, does it require regular maintenance like KDSS? Thanks in advance

I’ve had 2 4r’s with kdss (still have 1) and I haven’t heard of the maintenance you talk of. Please enlighten me. The only maintenance I can imagine on the sway bar would be to disconnect/connect a couple times a year just so that it gets usage. I’m not a mechanic or off road guru, but I’m sure there are members that are.

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I didn’t know about the KDSS maintenance before neither. I learnt from a YouTuber car care nut, in his 2024 GX review, starting from 27:00 in his video, he mentioned KDSS bleeding stuff, go watch it if you are interested, it’s very informative. I was curious so I googled, I found out people spent hundreds even thousands to service/repair KDSS and more than $10k to replace it. I’m in the position to choose between the new GX and Land Cruiser in Canada, that’s why I’m curious to know if the new Land Cruiser sway bar disconnect SDM needs service or not.

Here is the video link, drag to 27mins, he explained KDSS service.

I can understand IF it needs maintenance it will be costly but that’s probably the rare exception. I beat the hell out of my 4Runners and never had a problem with kdss. Granted I don’t lift them and put 35” tires on. I once sunk it in the lake with ice up to the top of the tires, wasn’t concerned with taking pictures but I snapped this after a friend pulled me out. Had to fish for my rear mud flaps before the hole froze over.

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpeg
    IMG_0195.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 45
I can understand IF it needs maintenance it will be costly but that’s probably the rare exception. I beat the hell out of my 4Runners and never had a problem with kdss. Granted I don’t lift them and put 35” tires on. I once sunk it in the lake with ice up to the top of the tires, wasn’t concerned with taking pictures but I snapped this after a friend pulled me out. Had to fish for my rear mud flaps before the hole froze over.
Haha... sounds like good memory! good to hear your kdss serv you well!

The two disconnect systems between the GX and the LC are completely different.

These two videos explain it very well, FYI LC for the win... :)

thanks for the reply. I watched them as well. I agree LC does a little better in extreme condition. I havent seen neither in person, maybe it will decided for me when I see them. cheers

Back