Different Size Spare Tire

BossEvelope

📛 Founding Member
Jun 25, 2024
Media
NY
Vehicles
Land Cruiser 250
I understand the spare tire should be the same size as the rest of my tires, but would any damage occur to the vehicle if I got a flat and had to use a different sized spare tire? I’m wondering if I run larger tires than stock which don’t fit the spare location, could I keep the spare tire the stock size? In my case I have the 20” wheels so I presume the spare would be the stock 20” as well. I wouldn’t drive for long on the mismatched spare, just enough to get home or the tire shop.

IMO....... If the rear diff locker isn't turned on, it'll work. I think you will get error lights on the dash tho'. I would never put mismatched tires on the front. If I got a flat on the front, I'd move one of the rears to the front and place the mismatched spare tire on the rear.

Just some thoughts........ On my Taco, I was able to get the larger spare to nest in the stock location by cutting (metal cut off wheel) one of the centering points off the frame. This allowed about 2 inches of adjustment, it's a jiggle fest to get the larger spare to nest, but after 29k miles, it's exactly where I put it, no issues at all.

My 2nd thought..... depending on how much bigger you are going, it might fit if it's deflated to 2-3 lbs of air. Once you get the 4 mounted, It might be worth your time to deflate one of them and see if you can stuff it in the spare wheel space. the unmovable hard points are the trailer hitch, exhaust pipe and the rear differential. If a deflated tire fits, you would then need a portable air compressor to be carried in the vehicle.

Back