Bike Racks (1Up Bike Rack) and Swing Aways (Rig'D Supply RambleSwing) and the Land Cruiser hitch

laughnpup

📛 Founding Member
Jul 19, 2024
Media
Virginia
Vehicles
1994 2nd Gen 4Runner, 2015 Grand Cherokee Overland, 2024 J250 Land Cruiser
I have a 1Up Bike Rack and I bought the 1Up RakAttach specifically for the Land Cruiser just before delivery. It turns out that Toyota built some extra steel around the hitch on the Land Cruiser -- which I discovered is also true of the 2024 Tacoma. I quickly discovered that the threaded bolt (pin) for the RakAttach was simply not long enough to go through the hitch. When I told 1Up about it and requested that they engineer a modified hitch pin bolt and mentioned the new 4Runner is coming too, they declined and said they had no plans and offered to take back the RakAttach. Hence, I purchased a Rig'd Supply RambleSwing. I have been following Rig'd Supply for a long time and their RambleSwing is solid.

Just for clarity, I have attached some photos of the problems that bike racks and swing aways may have with the J250 hitch (and the Tacoma and the future 4Runner?):

1. Measuring the width of the hitch steel from side to side, and
2. Showing how the RakAttach screw pin is not wide enough to fit.
3. The RambleSwing in place with the 1Up Rack.

I have had 1Up racks for several years and one of the reasons I love 1Up besides their great bike rack product is I had all of the keys and locks integrated. Now I did order the RakAttach separately so had another key, but without a pin that fits, the swing away is just unsafe, and I also cannot lock it which is one of the key points of the 1Up equipment.

The RambleSwing is solid, does not deflect or lean, and also has step on it to get to the roof. It does add another 12-1/2 inches to the length of the vehicle though, so we have a tight fit in our garage with the full bike rack on folded up. The only concern I have with the Rig'd Supply RambleSwing is, unlike the RakAttach, i can't seem to adjust the force of the latch handle, and the angle might make it difficult to close it when I have big bikes mounted on it.

As an engineer, I was pleased with 1Up which has posted drawings and measurements of all their equipment. Unfortunately, Rig'd Supply did not until I asked them about it and then called them on their support line to talk about the Land Cruiser dimensions. It turned out they sent me a pic of their RambleSwing on a Land Cruiser they were testing. Maybe it was me, but I just noticed that they have drawings with measurements on their RambleSwing product online now. Good job, Rig'd Supply!

Below: The engineered threaded bolt which acts as the pin to secure the 1Up RakAttach. This bolt was not long enough for the Land Cruiser hitch.

IMG_6139.jpeg

Measurement showing the extra steel around the Land Cruiser hitch for which 1Up had an extra long pin for the bike rack. However, they did not have a threaded bolt of rot RakAttach long enough to securely screw in and also handle their locking pin.

IMG_6148 (1).jpeg

The Rig'd Supply RambleSwing in place. Notice that I am still using the 1Up locking hitch pins on both the bike rack and the RambleSwing!

IMG_6942.jpeg

Dang. I imagine 1Up will change their tune pretty quickly when the 4Runners start rolling out and the dozens of us having issues becomes hundreds.

I had emailed them as well about the regular hitch pin on my 1Up rack, and how I was just using one of their bike wheel lock pins instead. They just said “eh that’s fine, do that”.

I’ll wait out the winter but I’d like to maybe get a swing next spring/summer.

Dang. I imagine 1Up will change their tune pretty quickly when the 4Runners start rolling out and the dozens of us having issues becomes hundreds.

I had emailed them as well about the regular hitch pin on my 1Up rack, and how I was just using one of their bike wheel lock pins instead. They just said “eh that’s fine, do that”.

I’ll wait out the winter but I’d like to maybe get a swing next spring/summer.
I bought that RakAttach so we would be ready to take it on our month long trip out west. The J250 took so long to come in from the port from mid-May to 10 July, that I had no time to adjust with only a one week dry run trip available, and just before that, discovered the RakAttach would not fit!

Back