Are Buyers Actually Paying $5k over MSRP???

Esquire

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Apr 27, 2024
Media
Omaha, NE
Vehicles
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited - Black / Redwood; 2016 Porsche 911 - 991.1 Carrera Base - Black / Black
As I wait for my allocation, I consistently monitor the market on Autotrader, etc.

It seems like many dealers are still asking $5k over MSRP for the LC Edition. Some are $7,500 - $10k over MSRP.

Are people actually paying this or are the dealers dropping that as soon as a potential buyer mentions its ridiculousness?

At this point it's wishful thinking. There might be a few regional exceptions depending on the local market, but got mine for MSRP at the beginning of this month. The dealers that 2 months ago wanted $15K premiums (and told me it would be impossible to find without markups) were calling regularly right after I bought trying to get me to come in for MSRP at that point (I told all such dealers that the markups told me everything I needed to know about the dealership and I'd never give them business in the future because of it).

I'd think that we will start seeing regular discounts off of MSRP in August.

Iโ€™m seeing some discounted LC grades at Marietta GA Toyota that are in stock. But Iโ€™m waiting on the one I reserved because it has the color and everything else I wanted.

At this point it's wishful thinking. There might be a few regional exceptions depending on the local market, but got mine for MSRP at the beginning of this month. The dealers that 2 months ago wanted $15K premiums (and told me it would be impossible to find without markups) were calling regularly right after I bought trying to get me to come in for MSRP at that point (I told all such dealers that the markups told me everything I needed to know about the dealership and I'd never give them business in the future because of it).

I'd think that we will start seeing regular discounts off of MSRP in August.
Yeah, in my opinion, markups are a massive red flag about a dealership in general.

I just picked up my LC-LC yesterday here in Northern California. Found a dealer that prides themselves at only selling vehicles at msrp. I configured mine about a month ago with the premium package and some other options it came out to 70k sticker with an approximate 3 month delivery timeframe. As luck would have it a car with all the options and color I wanted became available after someone backed out of their deposit. It had some additional factory options totaling about 2k (72K sticker) but it was available right away. The extra options were annoying but I decided to pick it up and save myself another 2 months of waiting. The painful reality is when you add all the state tax, emissions, registration fees etc it all came out to 80K. I put 60% down and financed 40% at 5.84% APR/ 60mo through BofA. Stings a bit in the wallet for sure but Iโ€™m excited about the car and hope to keep it for a long time.

Attachments

• IMG_9014.jpeg
    IMG_9014.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 66
I got on a waitlist for a dealer that originally thought I might not get mine until 2025 model year. But here we are only in July and he's calling me every Friday with options. Plus other dealers have started calling me, all offering MSRP. One dealer told me he's traded most of his allocated Land Cruisers to other dealers, they just aren't selling where he is. So it doesn't seem like it's hard at all to get one at MSRP right now, at least in the western US. I'm not sure why anyone would pay a markup at this point?

Outside of the very first batch of FE buyers back in April, I haven't heard of anyone paying anything significant over MSRP, aside from sometimes dumb dealer add ons (like $80 usb cables).

But my data is skewed toward the kind of people who post online on Land Cruiser forums. There could be a whole cohort of buyers out there paying $5-10k over MSRP who don't talk about it online!

I paid the $1500 markup.

Here in SoCal the only dealer offering Msrp is Longo Toyota. My spot on their waitlist wouldโ€™ve had me take delivery next year. I strolled into my local dealer after happy hour and the sales guy told me the spec I wanted was inbound. I took it.

Moral of the story: donโ€™t go to the dealer after happy hour. ๐Ÿ˜

My impression has been that the QC delays smashed a hole in a lot of dealershipsโ€™ plans to command a markup. Now more are arriving at once (QC hold released and post-hold manufacturing) and supply is >= demand.

From Bay Area, Was in the queue, just picked up for MSRP, Heritage blue, ,

LC was also available for outside the queue in MSRP from other dealers aswell since I got few calls yesterday from no markup to 1k markup when I said I donโ€™t even want to visit the showroom without agreeing on the price

I just picked up my FE yesterday from Koons Toyota in Westminster, MD. It was listed on the dealer website BELOW MSRP - first I saw in the mid-Atlantic. Had a great purchase experience - probably the best for any vehicle Iโ€™ve ever owned, including Audis and BMWs.

I got on a list with a dealer selling at MSRP in February and picked up mine this week. I was #207 on the list and they told me it would be 2 to 3 years, but in June they started calling with vehicles available. They told me lots of people were dropping out because of the high price. Glad to have mine a lot earlier. I can't imagine anyone will need to pay over MSRP for long.

Last edited:
In the Chicago area there are a couple of dealers with unallocated vehicles arriving this week and selling at MSRP. But one other local dealer told me "we can't get any". Selling at MSRP with no dealership addons is not uncommon in my local market. Although unsold LC are not sitting on dealer lots. Traveling to a large market may be the way to get a desired configuration. Configurations available and dealer practices vary by market.

From my research smaller markets are more likely to show dealer addons, or not reveal price. Big markets have big toyota dealers who may even advertise no markups and no addons.

Of course all dealers will underprice the tradeins these days, so getting a carvana/carmax price will probably have a good return on the effort.

I paid the $1500 markup.

Here in SoCal the only dealer offering Msrp is Longo Toyota. My spot on their waitlist wouldโ€™ve had me take delivery next year. I strolled into my local dealer after happy hour and the sales guy told me the spec I wanted was inbound. I took it.

Moral of the story: donโ€™t go to the dealer after happy hour. ๐Ÿ˜
Hi Bob. Jim from Long Beach. Dealers around here are asking $5k markup, and Longo says it takes a year to get one at MSRP. Where did you buy at $1,500 markup?

Hi Bob. Jim from Long Beach. Dealers around here are asking $5k markup, and Longo says it takes a year to get one at MSRP. Where did you buy at $1,500 markup?
I'd check with brokers if you are desperate. Last I checked (East coast, but a lot of brokers ship anywhere) end of June, they were going for $1K over MSRP. Quick search of LeaseHackr says the deals may be even better now in SoCal:

"Land Cruiser Hybrid 4WD with premium package at $2500 under MSRP and no broker fee"

As I wait for my allocation, I consistently monitor the market on Autotrader, etc.

It seems like many dealers are still asking $5k over MSRP for the LC Edition. Some are $7,500 - $10k over MSRP.

Are people actually paying this or are the dealers dropping that as soon as a potential buyer mentions its ridiculousness?
No. But there are dealers in DFW metroplex trying to charge up to 15k over. I paid under MSRP 2 weeks ago.

No. But there are dealers in DFW metroplex trying to charge up to 15k over. I paid under MSRP 2 weeks ago.
I wouldn't buy a blinker lightbulb from any dealer who prices any vehicle over MSRP. Lots of crooked dealers like those in Oklahoma as well.

I bought a LC edition in SW Florida for sticker.

The dealership from which I bought my 1958 had a "market adjustment" premium of $5k tagged onto the price and it didn't take much to get it removed once I told them to.

In other words, yes, there are those who are willing to pay the added premium, simply because they don't know that you can demand the premium be removed from the price.

It was pretty simple to do once they realized I would utilize the most feared two words in new car purchase negotiations: The "customer walkout."

Back