Any recommendations for maintaining rarely-used locking diffs/sway bar disconnect?

TrailWhale

📛 Founding Member
🏆 LC of the Month
Apr 25, 2024
Media
Idaho
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser "Land Cruiser"
While I obviously needed a vehicle with center and rear locking differentials and a sway bar disconnect. I've now been "off-roading" at what is pretty much my personal comfort limit and have not taken it out of 4Hi Eco mode. It's becoming apparent that these features are going to see very little use in practice. I imagine i'm not the only one.

Is there anything I should do regularly? e.g. Should i just enable them occasionally and drive a slow straight line down my street to keep things "moving"?

Feeling a little like the "Right, but i have 1D" guy in this clip now. 😂

The manual should have the minimum amount of time you should engage the features each month.
I just went out and ran through all the 4wheel drive options with my 4runner yesterday.

Your personal comfort limit will expand. You will likely explore further and reach a situation where the choice is to backtrack 10 miles or continue forward into more challenging conditions.

Arguably the rear and center lockers are no longer necessary with the sophistication of the 4WD system. You make a good point that there may be a minimum engagement that Toyota recommends.

You might want to experiment with how crawl mode functions before using it. I have not had a system this sophisticated before and know I'm unsure how to operate it optimally. I'm sure we will eventually get some "how and why" Youtubes on our system.

Back