Air down or Tire chain in deep/sticky mud?

G0ebs

📛 Founding Member
Sep 4, 2024
Media
Tacoma
Vehicles
2024 Landcruiser (LC edition).
I have been invited to Elk Camp in Eastern WA in a few weeks. A few of my friends/hunters recommended me bringing tire chain because of one area that might be an issue with mud.

I recently purchased some AT4W Wildpeak tires (265/70 18R). I am assuming airing down will be enough, plus I do not know if I would have clearance with chain on my 2024 Landcruiser. Also, they are not exactly cheaper either and I could maybe justify the cost if I thought I would use them again.

Thoughts? And thanks in advance.

I would air down to 20-15 pounds and bring traction boards or fill in the mud ruts with wood rock etc with a shovel before entering the pit for grip and maintain a steady speed at all times. If you are climbing hills and going downhill in full on mud I would be careful you don't want to fishtail a land cruiser you will lose control even with Mud tires and slide into the bank etc. Bad mud is for hunting trucks like a 2005 tacoma with 35 superswampers lifted jeeps etc. but if we talking fire roads and a few flat areas you be ok .....good luck on the hunt !!!!!

Back