A new key fob has been detected???

JSFoster75

📛 Founding Member
Aug 12, 2024
Media
Bluff City, TN
Vehicles
2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Premium, 2021 Toyota Venza Limited
While in Nashville this weekend, I got a message on the driver dashboard area that said a new key fob had been detected... I'm hoping this just means that since my wife's keyfob/app is primary that it had just connected to mine for the first time, but the message recommended I contact my dealer... Any ideas what this might have been? Has anyone else seen this pop up?

It's a valid warning message but I wouldn't worry about it. The manual says you'll get that message for 10 days every time a new key is registered. That includes the digital key in the Toyota app if you're playing with that.

I know that you get this message when you download and set up the digital key. Could that be the case here?

Reactions: Don
The message makes sense considering how many Toyotas in the last few years have been stolen by a hack that creates a new non-physical key. But ours is one of the new higher end Toyotas that is suppose to prevent this type of theft. I would expect this message only if a new phone or key fob has been introduced and be concerned if it shows up unexpectedly in the future. The dealer likely has a protocol to contact Toyota to check it out. Since security procedures are not going to be documented beyond the absolute minimum necessary there is an understandable lack of clarity on what is happenings

As Trips said it does show up when a phone key is added, and it does go away after awhile.

The message makes sense considering how many Toyotas in the last few years have been stolen by a hack that creates a new non-physical key. But ours is one of the new higher end Toyotas that is suppose to prevent this type of theft. I would expect this message only if a new phone or key fob has been introduced and be concerned if it shows up unexpectedly in the future. The dealer likely has a protocol to contact Toyota to check it out. Since security procedures are not going to be documented beyond the absolute minimum necessary there is an understandable lack of clarity on what is happenings

As Trips said it does show up when a phone key is added, and it does go away after awhile.
FYI, they are still susceptible to this attack according to somone who had their GX550 stolen up in Ontario.

FYI, they are still susceptible to this attack according to somone who had their GX550 stolen up in Ontario.
One missing vehicle with no information on how it was stolen.

For now I've settled for this ridiculous thing, but only while staying at roadside motels:

Last edited:
One missing vehicle with no information on how it was stolen.

For now I've settled for this ridiculous thing, but only while staying at roadside motels:

Police told him this was how it was stolen. I know they don't have definitive proof since the vehicle is gone but it's most likely how it was stolen.

Do you have any information on the new system that is supposed to be more secure? I can't find anything discussing it when I search for it.

Mostly reading through Rav4Club on reddit and looking at github where people hack their own cars. But I'm still keeping my FOB in a faraday pouch when traveling. But I am fairly convinced that the key cloning attack won't work on our vehicle.

I would be willing to pay $1200 to install IGLA but my concern is that those developers don't know details of Toyota security changes and will learn from early adopter problems. If in the next months if it appears our generation of hybrids are being stolen I will reconsider. But in the meantime I will intimidate potential theieves with the goofy steering wheel lock.

There is someway to increase security by long pressing on your key fob. I saw a post on here but not sure which one

There is someway to increase security by long pressing on your key fob. I saw a post on here but not sure which one
As always, check your manual…..

Attachments

• 1724192363334.png
    1724192363334.png
    481 KB · Views: 43
I have read most of the manual, but not all of it. Every time I see your post it makes me want to pull it out and get going.!

Thanks for the replies, I did see it after using the keyfob to remote start, then entering the vehicle. :)

Back