2022 4Runner TRD Pro -> Land Cruiser FE

LC250CO14

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jul 30, 2024
Media
Parker, CO
Vehicles
2022 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
I've had two 4Runner TRD Pro's over the last 4 years, I traded a 2020 and bought the second one due to me taking advantage of the crazy car market and resales values a couple of years ago. I'm probably in the majoirty of 5th gen owners that would agree it's a great, very reliable vehicle. It's my daily driver and although I like the idea of it's off road capability, it's never even seen a dirt road. I've been paying close attention to the LC and GX platforms since their initial annoucements and initially was set on the GX. But, about a week ago I got to see an LC FE in Heritage blue sitting on the lot (already sold) and I had a hard time walking away from it. It's presence really got me and side by side with the 4Runner it is clearly a more refined vehicle. So I began searching near and far for one and somehow got lucky and was able to secure one sitting at a port in California. I made a deposit and can get it at MSRP and the dealership is only 200 miles from me. Since then, I've been reading almost every site on this post and have seen the 4Runner comparisons. My biggest concern is the reliability after reading the post about the engine failure. Coming from a 4Runner that I know will probably even outlast a nuclear war, this has me a little bit concerned. I love the idea of more HP and torque since the 4Runner lacks this but I'm thinking long term and with the QC port holds I'm wondering if there's something more to what's going on here. I realize Toyota has been in the hybrid game for 20 some years and this kind of platform will be new to me. In a perfect world, I would just keep the 4Runner as well, but I already have other "fun" cars so it wouldn't make much sense. With that said, I'm looking for more opinions on making this move and trying to avoid and potential regret in the future.

I would not be too concerned regarding the QC port holds. From all available information, it had to do with a sunroof drain. Have not seen the engine failure post, or are you referring the Tundra V-6 disaster?

I would not be too concerned regarding the QC port holds. From all available information, it had to do with a sunroof drain. Have not seen the engine failure post.
Good to hear it is probably just a simple thing. Here is the post about the engine issue.

I think the main difference in terms of reliability is that you need to be more diligent about maintenance on this hybrid system than you do with the 4Runner engine, which is basically unkillable. Up to 150K miles I doubt thereโ€™s much difference. Beyond that, regular maintenance of the hybrid system is going to tell.

Lc for sure drives better.

Good to hear it is probably just a simple thing. Here is the post about the engine issue.

Wow, scary! Thanks...

Iโ€™m not you, and I love my LC, but if I was driving a sick 2022 TRD Pro 4Runner I donโ€™t think I would upgrade right now.

I'll also add that I have concerns about the GX as well, especially with the recent Tundra recall. Overall though, the LC seems to have the right balance between luxury and functionality and being a bit smaller also will probably fit in the garage better.

Can confirm the QC hold is a sunroof drain issue. Talked to one of the technicians who was involved in fixing them and they drop the interior roof liner and place a small clip on the drain hose to fix it and its on its way. The issue that was identified was if a Land Cruiser was parked at a certain angle on a hill, the drainage tube would run uphill and possibly cause a drainage issue in very rare circumstance so they decided to fix it.

Can confirm the QC hold is a sunroof drain issue. Talked to one of the technicians who was involved in fixing them and they drop the interior roof liner and place a small clip on the drain hose to fix it and its on its way. The issue that was identified was if a Land Cruiser was parked at a certain angle on a hill, the drainage tube would run uphill and possibly cause a drainage issue in very rare circumstance so they decided to fix it.
Was this on all the new LC's? Any complaints of the liner not being reinstalled correctly? I'm also curious if the roof rack and rock rails are installed at the port with the FE's or does it ship that way and only optioned equipment is installed at the port?

Issue was identified back in mid-May when the QC hold was put in place. Pretty sure they quickly adjusted the manufacturing in Japan with the fix but still had to fix the ones that had been manufactured already. Technician I visited with said it was faster for him and his guys to go to the vehicles sitting in the rail yard and fix them than to wait for the other guys Toyota was lining up so he took his guys and processed several of them and said its an easy fix. Roof rack and rails are installed at port. My understanding is my LC FE sitting in Portland is waiting on the roof rack due to a shortage of them.

Issue was identified back in mid-May when the QC hold was put in place. Pretty sure they quickly adjusted the manufacturing in Japan with the fix but still had to fix the ones that had been manufactured already. Technician I visited with said it was faster for him and his guys to go to the vehicles sitting in the rail yard and fix them than to wait for the other guys Toyota was lining up so he took his guys and processed several of them and said its an easy fix. Roof rack and rails are installed at port. My understanding is my LC FE sitting in Portland is waiting on the roof rack due to a shortage of them.
That makes sense and probably explains these delays. Seems like something Toyota should have thought of ahead of time. Another post on this forum showed at least a couple of LC's with dented roofs near the rack. Hopefully this was an isolated thing or maybe not related to the installation at all.

There have been 4Runners with engine failures. Statistically, it isn't very common, but they do happen. We don't know yet if the Land Cruiser will be equally as reliable long term, but I wouldn't let 1 engine failure drive your decision. $h!t happens with a new model occasionally.

I had a 2022 4Runner TRD Pro (was totaled last October) and now a LC LC Premium and there's no comparison. Specially the power and drivability.
Reliability only time will tell.
GX was on my radar as well, test drove a couple times and liked it but liked the LC more. The availability and the general cost of a equivalent version (Overtrail plus vs LCLC Premium) didn't worth it for me.

Loved my 4Runner and if it wasn't totaled I would probably keep another year or so. Probably buy the 2025 or 2026 year model.

Pulled the trigger and put a deposit down on a Heritage Blue First Edition to be delivered in about two weeks @ MSRP. Almost bought a black First Edition yesterday but it was sold while I was en route back to the dealership. I was able to drive it and within 30 seconds of feeling the instant torque I was sold. I am questioning my choice in color now but I'll save that for another thread. At least I'll finally have and LC.

Last edited:
Back