20” tires on the beach

wsc1130

📛 Founding Member
Aug 21, 2024
Maryland
I’m pretty close to buying a base LC. In Maryland, it seems to be 20” wheels or nothing. If I get the LC, I’ll eventually get some 18” wheels with all-terrain tires. But in the short term, assuming I air down to 18-20 psig with the stock tires, am I likely to get stuck driving in sand? (Assateague Island in particular). I’m an off-road and beach driving novice.

Also, most of the 12V air compressors want to clamp on to the battery terminals. Is this convenient on the 2024 LC? Pictures suggest it might be awkward. Would it make sense to use the 120V/2400W outlet and get a plug in 12V power supply instead?

I’m pretty close to buying a base LC. In Maryland, it seems to be 20” wheels or nothing. If I get the LC, I’ll eventually get some 18” wheels with all-terrain tires. But in the short term, assuming I air down to 18-20 psig with the stock tires, am I likely to get stuck driving in sand? (Assateague Island in particular). I’m an off-road and beach driving novice.

Also, most of the 12V air compressors want to clamp on to the battery terminals. Is this convenient on the 2024 LC? Pictures suggest it might be awkward. Would it make sense to use the 120V/2400W outlet and get a plug in 12V power supply instead?
I don't know if the 1958 ( I assume that's what you're talking about) has the traction features or not, but if it does, they are hard to remain stuck in sand. If it doesn't then yes airing down will help, I will caution you before you drive on the highways...... air back up! The battery isn't that hard to gain access to (no tools needed) and there is an under hood Jump start terminal that can also be used. (it's located in the passenger side fuse box, with a flip red cover).

I don't know if the 1958 ( I assume that's what you're talking about) has the traction features or not, but if it does, they are hard to remain stuck in sand.

The 1958 doesn’t have multi terrain select (MTS) so no adjustment for sand specifically, just basic traction control.

The 1958 would not be equipped with 20” wheels therefore he must be getting a lc/lc and yes it will have mts. Mts is spectacular (a-trac is as well) I use both these functions in snow, which, in springtime, can be similar to sand. Crawl control is awesome for steep, ice covered slopes. Mud terrain tires will help tremendously in the sand also.

In my experience, you need to get into some pretty soft sand before any 4x4 will get stuck.. if you do have crawl control, it will get you out by itself or use it beforehand and you won’t get stuck.

I have taken a Subaru Outback on (hard) sand in Florida and (soft) sand in the NC Outer Banks. If you air down to 15psi, I would be shocked if you get stuck even in 4HI. Lock the center dif if you are worried. 4Low is overkill IMO. Hard sand is easy to drive in. Soft sand and dunes are nothing too bad if you air down. I have never seen a AWD/4WD with tires that have aired down get stuck. Personally for air pumps, I have a Rigid cordless one. If you use Ryobi or Dewalt tools, they have a similar solution.

I have a bit of experience in sand in the outer banks of NC and that stuff can be pretty deep and coarse sand which can be a little tricky. I would say the wheels should not matter too much. Maybe air down a bit. I always found the problems occurred when I lost momentum going uphill. I am no expert but my recommendations would be #1 and VERY important, stay away from the tidal line because if you get stuck, you don't want to be near the ocean! #2 keep momentum when going up hill and only stop on flat ground or facing down-slope. #3 follow ruts when trying to gain momentum.
And remember as long as you are not at risk of ocean getting to your truck at high tide, you will get out if you get stuck! Other 4x4's are always quick to help you out. Have fun!!

Preface.. I am NO expert in off-roading, anything, or anywhere, but when I lived in Idaho, I bought a new 2006 Avalanche (Limited Slip rear differential IIRC). EVERYONE out there told me to not put it in four wheel drive when venturing off road, UNTIL I got into trouble. Then put it in 4WD LOW, and drive out of what I was stuck in. Their reasoning being, If you get it stuck in 4WD, you have nothing to fall back to, to escape your predicament. I don’t know what the right thing to do is in these vehicles. There are lots of videos on YouTube about vehicle recovery from sandy conditions.

Preface.. I am NO expert in off-roading, anything, or anywhere, but when I lived in Idaho, I bought a new 2006 Avalanche (Limited Slip rear differential IIRC). EVERYONE out there told me to not put it in four wheel drive when venturing off road, UNTIL I got into trouble. Then put it in 4WD LOW, and drive out of what I was stuck in. Their reasoning being, If you get it stuck in 4WD, you have nothing to fall back to, to escape your predicament. I don’t know what the right thing to do is in these vehicles. There are lots of videos on YouTube about vehicle recovery from sandy conditions.
On the beaches in Florida (harder sand) the only time I have seen someone stuck was because while the beach had a sign stating 4WD only, some felt that was a guideline and their 2WD would be just fine.

Outer Banks of North Carolina (softer sand) the majority of vehicles that get stuck do not air down, which is VERY important in soft sand.

Personally, I would stay in 4HI and lock the center diff. If you start to feel you are spinning the tires, you do not want to spin the wheels (digging yourself deeper). drop into 4LO and lock everything and maybe air down a little more.

You should have no problem with 20 psi even in dry deep sand. We have been 4-wheeling the North Carolina OBX since the 1980's with Jeeps, 4Runners, and even all wheel drives with no problems. If you want to see a lot of very capable 4WD vehicles that do not air down get stuck, just go visit Corolla Beach Idiots | Corolla NC

Back