18’’ or 20’’ for winter?

crazycruizer

📛 Founding Member
Oct 3, 2024
Media
New York
Vehicles
Land Cruiser 2024
I decided to buy a set of winter tires given that I’ll be driving all winter on icy/snowy roads, and wanted to get some peace of mind. I own a LCLC which comes with 20in wheels, and am considering Cooper Discoverer Snow Claw vs Bridgestone Blizzak plus few others, though options are limited in that rim size, so I’m exploring the 18in too. Since this is my first truck, would you recommend 18in or 20in for winter? Any other suggestions for other winter tires? Thanks for your advice!

I'm in the same boat with 20" wheels. I just ordered Michelin X-ice 255/70R18XL with 18" Toyota OEM steel wheels, I think they are from the Tundra. May not be the best look, but will do fine to get me through the winter.

18” vs 20” isn’t going to make any difference on winter roads imho. What I did was purchase a set of 18” rims from an FE because I like the style and I’m gonna fit those with dedicated winter tires, solely because the 20’s have all seasons from the factory. This way with 2 sets of rims and tires I don’t need to peel them off and put others on at the end of winter. Dedicated winter tires are made of a softer compound and wear quickly in warm weather. In the spring I don’t have to make an appointment and get charged $100 to swap out. Same again next winter. The two tires you mentioned are great winter tires. I go with blizzaks DM-V2, but the other one I would be interested in would be Michelin ice-x. Also I try to get the narrowest tires (255) available. Narrow tires are superior to wide in 90% of situations especially snow.

18” vs 20” isn’t going to make any difference on winter roads imho. What I did was purchase a set of 18” rims from an FE because I like the style and I’m gonna fit those with dedicated winter tires, solely because the 20’s have all seasons from the factory. This way with 2 sets of rims and tires I don’t need to peel them off and put others on at the end of winter. Dedicated winter tires are made of a softer compound and wear quickly in warm weather. In the spring I don’t have to make an appointment and get charged $100 to swap out. Same again next winter. The two tires you mentioned are great winter tires. I go with blizzaks DM-V2, but the other one I would be interested in would be Michelin ice-x. Also I try to get the narrowest tires (255) available. Narrow tires are superior to wide in 90% of situations especially snow.
Good point about the narrower tire. So you’re actually planning to swap the tires yourself? I was thinking about it but not sure if alignment or other work is needed - I’m not a tire expert

I am putting blizzaks DM-V2 on mine of red winter as well. Somewhat ironically X-ice on another car. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the top tier brands. I have also been very happy with continentals on a number of cars and have nokian studs on our van. I went with studs on the van because its heavy and sees a lot of compacted snow and ice and not a lot of bare highway.

If it was me in northern New York with mixed driving, Blizzaks on 18"s would be my choice - lots of sipes for the ice.

Back