18” OEM size - Tire alternatives

DenisLM

📛 Founding Member
May 21, 2024
Media
Maple Valley, WA
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser LC premium
Thinking about replace the original Michelin with some AT4W SL or something else (KO3 maybe)
Keeping the OEM size and wheels.
I’ve seen a few pictures here and there but would be nice add to a single thread for future reference.
Please anyone share your thoughts about how was the drive before and after, potential MPG losses and so on.
And pictures! Because that’s another big part of the equation!

I think you'll find a a treasure trove of information in this active thread - Tire Upgrade ?

But since you asked so nicely, here's my stock size A/T4W SL on OEM 18" wheels.
IMG_8698.jpeg

I think you'll find a a treasure trove of information in this active thread - Tire Upgrade ?

But since you asked so nicely, here's my stock size A/T4W SL on OEM 18" wheels.
View attachment 7003
I looked into that thread and found a few posts about it
But there’s 30+ pages of everything
Becomes hard to find some specifics as OEM size on OEM wheels

That said this looks so much better than the OEM tires, and also looks bigger as well.

Thanks for the share.

That said this looks so much better than the OEM tires, and also looks bigger as well.
It definitely looks a lot beefier. It is supposed to be the same size, and I never actually measured, but I agree, they do feel a bit bigger, but that might just an illusion because of their stance.

IMG_8850 copy.jpeg

Here’s mine. Also 265/70-18 SL AT4W’s, on First Edition OEM 18”.

Ride before was smooth to the point of boaty. After you can feel the weight in a more solid and planted drive. But still the same overall feel.

MPG dropped by 1 to 2 mpg. Getting 21.1 combined city/highway now.

Attachments

• IMG_9107.jpeg
    IMG_9107.jpeg
    526.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9111.jpeg
    IMG_9111.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_9113.jpeg
    IMG_9113.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9115.jpeg
    IMG_9115.jpeg
    428.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_9293.jpeg
    IMG_9293.jpeg
    562.5 KB · Views: 116
I’m thinking of getting that size KO3. Any wheel rub? Did you replace the spare with the same size? If yes, did it fit? The center caps look great.
No rub, no issues. I did NOT do the spare because I would just use it in a pinch. The KO3s will hang down more and create more drag, without question. I will just rotate the 4 and be satisfied.

Interesting how the ko3 275 size looks like the AT4W 265...
Granted the difference on paper is minimal, visually looks about the same

Thinking about replace the original Michelin with some AT4W SL or something else (KO3 maybe)
Keeping the OEM size and wheels.
I’ve seen a few pictures here and there but would be nice add to a single thread for future reference.
Please anyone share your thoughts about how was the drive before and after, potential MPG losses and so on.
And pictures! Because that’s another big part of the equation!
See these threads and the spreadsheet in the second one / in my signature which is in part an attempt to condense the info in the first thread:

Last edited:
I’m thinking of getting that size KO3. Any wheel rub? Did you replace the spare with the same size? If yes, did it fit? The center caps look great.
Several folks have reported that 275/70R18 heavy duty off-road tires fit (just barely) in the spare tire location. It does hang down a bit more. A few people have said 285/70R18 fits, but take that with a grain of salt.

Several folks have reported that 275/70R18 heavy duty off-road tires fit (just barely) in the spare tire location. It does hang down a bit more. A few people have said 285/70R18 fits, but take that with a grain of salt.

Correct. The KO3s will fit in the spare, but the wider width of the tire will add additional drag and be more noticeable. To me, that wasn’t worth doing all 5.

Correct. The KO3s will fit in the spare, but the wider width of the tire will add additional drag and be more noticeable. To me, that wasn’t worth doing all 5.
In the tire puncture situations, the spare stock wheel and tire can limp home with three other 275/70R18 KO3s ?

In the tire puncture situations, the spare stock wheel and tire can limp home with three other 275/70R18 KO3s ?
If you have to, I wouldn’t advise more than an inch different in diameter and I would definitely not lock the differential. If you are going to do any serious wheelin you should have plugs and an air compressor.

How much did this lower your MPG?
Well I also have the roof rack cross rails (before yet installing the Westcott rack), so it’s hard to say. I anticipate the Westcott rack may improve the mpg by an mpg or two. The cross rails definitely cause drag at the 70-80mph speed range.

Back