10k mile/16k kms. 2nd maintenance done. Recommended maint. prop/drive shaft not incl.

brianz

📛 Founding Member
May 5, 2024
Media
BC
Vehicles
2024 FE. 1991 turbo diesel vx.
The only questions I was asked beforehand were:
1. do you want to replace the filters (I said no - they are not part of ECP as they are a wear item).
2. do you want the prop tightened/lubricated on the drive shaft (recommended, but not included in ECP).

I got a no charge on the #2 - the person before me didn't. They had a new TRD pro - they were pretty vocal at the service desk and thought it should have been included with the service plan (it was only ~20$ CAD).

I guess my question is "What is involved in tightening and/or lubricating the prop/drive shaft" - must be by the u-joint? I know we don't want it to get loose and drop as it can do some damage, but I would just as soon keep an eye on it myself. Maybe somebody can do a walk through like the "easy peasy oil change" -- I followed that one and did my own oil change at ~2.5k miles/~4k kms.

edit: that recommendation they said was once/year or every 10k mile/16k kms.

Attachments

• maintenance_receipt.jpeg
    maintenance_receipt.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 24
  • maintenance_dash.jpeg
    maintenance_dash.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 15
The Tacoma's had an issue with the bolts holding the driveshaft on not being torqued from the factory a couple of years ago and caused all sorts of problems........

It really is as simple as putting a wrench on the bolt/nut and give it a tug to see if they are loose. While you're under there you might as well give the U-joints a shot of grease with a grease gun.

Back