The Truth about Toyota's Allocation System and the Difficulties of New Toyota Availability

My dealership is also in the Southeast Toyota district. I agree with most of what he is saying. We handle allocations a little bit differently in that we have ONLY our Inventory Manager dealing with the allocation system. As such, he keeps a master list of vehicles wanted, and the individual salesmen give him the requests. I imagine if every salesperson had access to mess with the inventory system and allocations like they seem to at his dealership, it would be a total free-for-all and get real messy real quick.
Moral of the story is you need to be patient waiting for your vehicle, and like he mentioned, you may be at the "top" of the list, but if other vehicles get built before the one you want does, those folks "behind" you will get their vehicles first. We've been dealing with this slow trickle of new Toyotas for 2+ years now, and I don't see it getting a whole lot better any time soon. Some customers have waited 6-9 months for a particular build, so be prepared for that if you are VERY specific about what you want in your new Land Cruiser, Tacoma, etc. And although we're hearing LC's will come in faster than say the Sequoias have been, it's all going to come down to how quick they are building and shipping out of Japan, and for reference, the 4Runners (still built in Japan) have been coming in at a rather slow, but steady, pace for the last 2 years. Oh, and "non refundable" deposits - pretty sure those are completely illegal. All deposits at our store are refundable, regardless of the reason the customer decides to bail out, even if it's after the vehicle ends up on the lot.

For very specific (crazy :rolleyes: ) configurations could you request a non-refundable down payment ?

Toyota has the worlds finest production engineering acumen, and I expect supply will catch up with demand globally in 2024.
I need to walk back my assertion that Toyota’s supply will satisfy customer demand in 2024. The uncertainty seems to be related to electrification; there could be some wrinkles in Toyota’s strategy based on recent leadership changes and mixed messaging from executive leadership. System parts coming from shared suppliers are a big risk for production stability. Also, geopolitical instability is affecting everyone; I wouldn’t want to be betting on the direction of cold wars or tariffs.

Back